any feedback for core 2 quad 2.6GHz

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

any feedback for core 2 quad 2.6GHz

Unread post by wayne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:15 am

I am thinking of getting low cost, used hardware (HP business class) such as this one:

HP Elite 8000 Core 2 Quad 2.6GHZ 4GB DDR3 RAM
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66GHz
- 4GB DDR3 Memory

can anyone provide feedback on this hardware?
if possible, would this be fast compared with first gen i3 machine at 2.93Ghz?

thanks
Last edited by wayne on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: any feedback for core 2 quad 2.6GHz

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:22 am

You might find this interesting: https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=core%202 ... %20vs%20i3

I think the answer is "it depends" :)

I have several "surplus" HP machines, some with Intel hardware, some with AMD. They all work well. If the price for that Core 2 quad is reasonable, I think you will be happy with it, but of course it depends on what you want to do with it. What are your plans?

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 am

I hate HP...
I effectively replaced everything but the monitor and case in my Pavillion.
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 am

^ Can you please explain why? (I'm honestly curious, not trying to argue) All my HP machines are basically plain Intel or AMD hardware with an HP BIOS. It may be that I have HP Enterprise machines and not consumer (Pavilion, aka Compaq) machines, but I have not had any significant problems.

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:27 am

pidsley wrote:You might find this interesting: https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=core%202 ... %20vs%20i3

I think the answer is "it depends" :)

I have several "surplus" HP machines, some with Intel hardware, some with AMD. They all work well. If the price for that Core 2 quad is reasonable, I think you will be happy with it, but of course it depends on what you want to do with it. What are your plans?
hi pidsley,

My i3-530 box, which is now about close to 4 yr-old. I am happy about its speed, lately it becomes difficult to boot.
I took out its cmos battery and was surprised the battery holder 'rots, probably with some leaks from the battery' thus I crack open the battery casing, clean it a bit, now it works ( with some mechanical patching LOL) but I do not feel good..

I was surprised because the 10-yr-old compaq still have a clean battery holder and allows me to remove battery at ease.

I was thinking of replacing this i3 box with a used, but rugged hardware, that can last longer, just wish..
and thought the HP business class design would be able to out-last my i3 box..

The usage is quite normal surfing, testing, reading... plus twice in a year some simple video editing...

Thanks for the link, it seems i3 has an edge due to 32nm technology, lower power consumption etc.
but i am look for a long lasting box..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:45 am

My main machine is an HP Enterprise Athlon X2 box. I love it and would not hesitate to buy another one if this one dies. Hinto has obviously had a different experience with HP machines.

As you mentioned, it appears that the I3 has a slight advantage in power consumption and technology, but it seems like Linux is quite far behind the technology, so I tend to favor older processors when possible. With your uses, the only time you might notice some slight difference is when you do heavy video editing, but I doubt you'd notice it even then. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either one, especially if the price is right. There is a reason why so many HP Enterprise machines are available on the surplus market. But hey, what do I know -- all my boxes are old.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:08 am

<ramble>
i have a compaq presario and a 'new' hp pavillion pentium M dual core. they have served well as winXP machines. i had to replace the power supply on the presario but it is 10 years old.
it's now a wheezy netinstall server. I plan to get a pci>sata converter and stuff it full of drives (new PSU is pretty beefy)
the only annoying thing about the HP is it has a stupid hdd upgrade bay that takes up half of the room inside the case and makes adding any RAM or HDDs totally impossible. I've a good mind to get the grinder out and chop the damn thing up.
oh yeah in France I seem to only see geforce cards in machines or 2nd hand. they work, but hate that the windows (even liteWMs) move like treacle.
Oh I had that HP e-vectra thing, remember that Pids? thats dead, took it apart too many times, but built like a brick outhouse...</ramble>

so my actual on topic reply to the OP is check the graphics cards and upgrade options (if needed) I found often people chuck the 'puters because they lack RAM, couple of cheap sticks and it's doubled.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:02 am

i would have no hesitation in buying the hp business class pc. The E8400 is actually a 3Ghz processor. I would chose the i3 over the E8400 tho . . .
The Beaver Destroys Forests

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:37 am

gurtid wrote:i would have no hesitation in buying the hp business class pc. The E8400 is actually a 3Ghz processor. I would chose the i3 over the E8400 tho . . .

thanks gurtid,

checked more internet and realise the E8400 is core 2 duo 3GH, not quad.
contacted the one posted in ad, he said it should have been a Q8400-2.66G.
anyway the offer came with one month warranty so I can really test it out well.

after reading more, I get to understand a bit more on the Q8400, 95W, lots of info on Overclocking.
seems that this is a good processor, but it will be HOT...

i am not sure if i use it as just normal working ( not gaming) will it be too hot in the standard HP enclosure.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 am

if you don't o'c it should be ok. depends if you mind fans hoovering away. Sometimes can be set in the BIOS, The Compaq i have is set to a low temp threshold, 50C and i added an extra fan at the back.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:58 am

@wuxmedia,
No i am not going for OC. My usage is simple.

@pidsley,

So yesterday I took a high risk , LOL.
went for the pre-owned unit..core 2 quad Q8400 HP Elite8000 with 4G ddr3 ram and 320G,7200rpm hard disk.

Back home , tested last night.
oh boy it is fast!!!. at least on CPU bowfish and CPU cryptoHash, it is marginally better than my i3-530.
open the box, wow, it was rather clean...those cooling fins are clean too!

however, it is TOO HOT running! something was not correct.

Since it came with Win7 and one month warranty I need to test it as much as possible.
Using Win7 as it is, install update and shit!! it trigger alarm.
added cpu temp monitoring, wow, core temp went 80-101!! that is why it trigger...
idling core temp slowly drop from 90s to 40s...
play youtube, download some files, core temp shot up to 90s!!
Two fans run full speed and is make too much loud noise.

Not too sure why it was so hot, so I install Linux OS as a second check.
lm-sensors read similar reading, except it run somewhat cooler than win7..
ilding at 50-60s!! download, play youtube... 70-80s all four cores

So suspect something wrong with heatsink or thernal paste?

finally, found the four screws on heatsink are all very loose, how could that be??
luckily I have one month warranty for full unit replacement..

After some more tests decided to fasten the screws

WOW.
look at these reading, with iceweasel running two youtubes, and two more VLC running movies, just to stress it to check how it works

:~$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +21.0°C (high = +59.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Core 1: +17.0°C (high = +59.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Core 2: +21.0°C (high = +59.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
Core 3: +20.0°C (high = +59.0°C, crit = +85.0°C)
it really means before I faster the 4 screws, there is little good contact between heatsink and CPU..

but then i am also worried the sensors is not correct..cos ambient is higher than 20c , LOL.
the good news is I can now feel the heatsink is warm.. and the machine can run fast with multiple video running

edit: run win7 with cpu temp, it is around 33-38degc.. more normal..

Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF PC
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3646h Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 786G7 v01.02 date: 10/22/2009
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1998.00 MHz 2: 1998.00 MHz 3: 1998.00 MHz 4: 1998.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
X.org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card: Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 78:e7:d1:c9:cd:f1
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDP72503 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 33G used: 4.3G (14%) fs: ext4
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 24.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 151 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 355.4/3949.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.13

just intel onboard graphic.. at least no need to get 'very frequent bsod' with ati or pita, lol.

look like it is a good deal. however it is just one day test data.

Now, any other test ideas? I want to test as much as possible so as to take appropriate actions within two weeks.
Last edited by wayne on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Just one word I can think of: glxgears (mesa-utils package) :) Or some benchmark tests (lmbench, phoronix-test-suite) and run "glances" in a terminal to see some more verbose output than htop has to offer.
..gnutella..

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

I use partedmagic iso to run some test data.

post here.

not sure if anyone is interested to comment.

I do not know how to read: lol:

Here is the pastebin link on hardinfo's benchmark
http://pastebin.com/qi88yvAQ

but a bit concerned on the hard disk error.. not sure if that is an issue
http://pastebin.com/TXdqYtuU

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:49 pm

machinebacon wrote:Just one word I can think of: glxgears (mesa-utils package) :) Or some benchmark tests (lmbench, phoronix-test-suite) and run "glances" in a terminal to see some more verbose output than htop has to offer.

well, not sure if this is what you said about glxgears?
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.058 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.831 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.832 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.830 FPS
for benchmark, i went with partedmagic iso..as posted