[SOLVED] fstab, chown or chmod - A partition

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: [SOLVED] fstab, chown or chmod - A partition

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 pm

^ he's back!

Didn't you get the memo? Mounting non-removable drives at /media is apparently now frowned upon. Me, I don't give a shit, so I do it anyway. Because, well, they're media and I like to do things just because people tell me not to.

Next week they'll tell me /root is now called /radish. But it's OK if I want to symlink my old /root to the new correct /radish.

But seriously, nice explanations bizkit, and welcome back. No hugs here though, sorry.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm

^ Lmao ... nah must've missed that one. Btw hope things are well with you/yours Pidsley.

Overall don't really know ... at the time investigation said /media was more appropriate and /mnt was more for temporary mount pts. Have pretty much since then always used /media and the gnu/nix OS's don't seem to care. Has always worked fine and suspect the nix file system will continue not caring about where x-enduser creates a mount point, shrugs.

Agree with you though ... well and guess agree with the Debian or nix gawds at the same time. They'll try to establish standards and best practises and don't doubt that's a good thing overall. As I'm sure they have the best of intentions and wish them well. Of course can only draw from my personal experience ( admittedly not in any way the end all or claim to be an authority on gnu/nix.) ;)

No matter my fellow nixer.

Vllbbq! :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Now bizkit, you can't agree with everyone. I expect you to have your own opinions, and to stick to them.

Now udisks2 is mounting things at /run/media/username/blah. Better, or just different? /root or /radish?

Maybe I'll start mounting things at /bob just because.

Excuse me, I have to go run with scissors now.

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 pm

@ johnraff

Hi John ...

Oops! I didn't realize there was a "hard link" as such. OK, that's not what I meant, it's the noob in me, I mean if a file is at ~/xyz/foobar I want to use ~/xyz/foobar. Food for thought, I'll have to look up hard/sym links.
I am THE resident noob, hands down no discussion. ... and
I wear my soap on a rope.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Oh my gash, not running with de scissors !!! Lmao x2. :D

Running with sharp objects depends upon the person and the circumstances me thinks, lol.

Nah agree w you and do agree with opensource central oddly enough. They try to impose/encourage diff things for diff reasons. Some make sense ... some to most of us surely don't. Always admitted they know a shizzleton more about gnu/nix than myself. Can see why they'd encourage standardization or best practices/etc. The whole there has to be consistency, rules ... guidelines thing, shrugs.

So now /media has fallen out of favor ? Dammit am too lazy to research atm, as long as everything continues working fine plan to stay fine with it. The UUID vs /dev/sdax thing ... Far as I'm aware /dev/sdaX should still work dandy anyway. Though did migrate to using UUID's when became aware of the change, shrugs.

The /dev/shm to /run/shm for tmpfs ... A lot doesn't make sense to me but it doesn't really have to I guess. I'm not at the helm nor putting in the dirty work or heavy lifting involved. So respect the decisions of those who are ... Though o course doesn't mean I have to agree or abide by their decisions either.

Might go off and run drunkenly w some scissors too. Just for the fek of it. ;)
Last edited by bizcuit on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:51 pm

bizcuit wrote:Hiya's Sector ! Welcome to the grill.
So glad you babbled ... very informative. It's ".txt"ed now to be available in the future. I've read this someplace, not exact words obviously, you however cleared some things up.

When I get a chance to fine tooth comb this if I have doubts I'll bend your ear.

Thanks for the welcome and the words.

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 pm

@ pidsley

AHA! Now I know why /media/disk/ became /media/sector11/disk/

I had to change a 'few' bash scripts over that and 'The Sound of Cursing"
I've been playing the role of 'The Sound of Cursing" looking for what I did wrong with that.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 pm

^ yep. Debian "patched" udisks2 so it mounts things at /media/user/blah, instead of /run/media/user/blah, just to add to the confusion. Now it depends on what distro you use. This is just one more reason why I hate automounting.

Oh yeah, bizkit, the UUID vs /dev thing. I used to try to use UUIDs because they were "better" -- now I always use /dev/sdaX because the Debian installer insists on reformatting my swap partition every time I install a new spin on my test machine, and this changes the UUID, but not the /dev/sdaX. I know where my partitions are thank you, and /dev/sdaX works fine for me.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Editted for dumb and/or pointless content. Sheesh Sector knows which partitions he'd need/want to add to each gnu/nix install to be able to share the suckers. :)
Last edited by bizcuit on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 am

RE: udisks2 - Well ain't that just adding 1984 to freedom! GRRRRR!

Everything I use is Debian - the cover may not say Debian, but the repos do. Not like some distros that have a 'box|repo' name but claim to be Debian. Now over on the Debian forums this will not be recognized so I have no problem bending 'their' rules if I can.

My System, My Hardware - My Rules!

That UUID vs /dev thing drove this noob NUTZ! Like you I much prefer /dev

Compare:
- Technology has turned humans into numbers, SIN, PC, SSI, ZIP, Phone, etc., etc.
- Debian (insert distro) turns 'hard' devices into numbers.
OFFTOPIC :
A more serious 1984 in another OS:
Did you hear about the Win8 built-in backdoor?
And of course we believe Microsoft - wonder what they mean by "and all concerns regarding the TPM chip are “addressable.”.
There is a backdoor user's can use though. If you can't beat them, use their weaknesses.

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 am

@bizcuit

sda6 (/) & sda7 (/home) now have an OS installed and are no longer mounted. And all it mounts extra is /media/5 that ALL OS's mount and use.
[align=center]Image[/align]

@ pidsley - I got past the 'swap' problem, my machine has not used it for the last few years so I no longer use a /swap. Fresh installs get the old "Do not use". The tiny partition is still there, and formatted as /swap from an install long gone, but unused.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:52 am

Yeah, I know I don't really need /swap, but I use it anyway. I'm a rebel that way. Every once in a while on my extreme low-memory tests I see swap get used, and I've seen it used when I try to build Firefox on Gentoo, but otherwise I know I don't need it. At least I don't have an 8G swap partition on my machine with 4G memory, like some people I've seen.

Now someone will chime in and tell me I should be using a swap file. No thank you.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 am

My opinion on a shared /home partition: don't.
I share only 'media' folders (that with docs, music, "films", etc) but not a whole partition with its dotfiles.
On the matter of UUIDs in fstab: I hate them.
Swap? I have a swap partition but it's not mounted :)
..gnutella..

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:12 am

@ Pidsly - {ding} You should be using a swap file! {ding}

Mine (unused) is 4GB left over from when I had 2GB RAM ... it was used a bit then. I bought 4GB more for 6GB and now it's not used not mounted.

@ machinebacon

My opinion on a shared /home partition: don't.
- - I agree ... I did once ... long time ago ... disaster.

I share only 'media' folders (that with docs, music, "films", etc) but not a whole partition with its dotfiles.
- - my shared partition has no dotfiles. Each /home is unique to it's install. IF I want a dotfile from X in Y I either mount X grab it and unmount X (not long ago I mounted everything).

On the matter of UUIDs in fstab: I hate them.
- - me too.

Swap? I have a swap partition but it's not mounted :)
- - as well, see above
Last edited by Sector11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:17 am

Maybe I'm odd, but I actually like UUIDs. Since they are there, I can mount my external USB drive (ntfs) with read/write group access without affecting any other drive that happens to come in on what was formerly /dev/sdb
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:55 am

^^ I never had any USB devices pre UUID so I don't notice the difference. But if they make it useful - OK ... but in the background. :)

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:03 am

That they do...
All partitions have a UUID, so even your USB stick has one. Whether you want to make use of it or not is a different story.
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:12 am

If I plug it in - it gets mounted - consider it "made use of" :)

chilli
Compiler

Unread post by chilli » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:22 am

machinebacon wrote:My opinion on a shared /home partition: don't.

+1

They tried to make me share my homedir
And I said no, no, no
Dot files clash and my shit's all whack
It won't go, go, go

Save it to a remote folder
Then move all what you need on over

Don't try to make my share my homedir
'cause I'll say no, no, no

/end channeling Amy Winehouse

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:15 am

I never created a seperate home, and then finally I just did. i was so excited. Then well all was set up, drive all partitioned nicely, I thought to myself, hmmm, so what happens when I tell a new install to use this /home directory? What happens to my stuff? Quickly I was not so confident with this new path I set up, so I bagged it. like been mentioned; seperate drive, or github and just clone it over and go. That's been working for me.

Work hard; Complain less