[SOLVED] Bakewell Startup/Shutdown

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
gurtid
Uninstaller

[SOLVED] Bakewell Startup/Shutdown

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Bakewell. Have a couple of issues.

1. I'd like to autologin. Pidsley has a 'how - to' for Coal but for some reason this doesn't work on Bakewell. A suggestion by mb to wm on the linux-noob forum (a variation on Pidsley's) broke his system (admittedly a different bbq spin).

2. I'd like to be able to shutdown, reboot, logout etc. This doesn't work on Bakewell. The menu commands don't work. Issuing systemctl commands directly don't work. For example

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl poweroff
does not work. That command drops you to a flashing cursor on all screens from where I <alt><prtsrn>r.e.i.s.u.o. to shutdown.

I've read and read and read about these issues but being a knobend am now a little confused.

Influenced in part by the following discussion http://linuxnoob.freeforums.org/quick-i ... -t200.html

. . . I've concluded that the only way to solve these issues is to install a DM.

If this is the case I'm thinking of installing LXDM.

Any suggestions to the contrary appreciated.
Last edited by gurtid on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Bakewell Startup/Shutdown

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Do not installa DM just because of this.

Firstly, check the sudoers file.

Very verbose version:

%sudo   ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/su, /usr/bin/ceni, /usr/bin/xset, /usr/bin/systemctl, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/poweroff, /usr/bin/killall, /usr/bin/pkill
%users  ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/su, /usr/bin/ceni, /usr/bin/xset, /usr/bin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/poweroff, /bin/systemctl
This will shut down: sudo /sbin/poweroff and this reboots: sudo /sbin/reboot
Add these entries to obmenu.

Auto-login: pidsley's guide does work, can you post

cat /etc/systemd/system/[email protected]/autologin.conf 
and

cat /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/[email protected] 
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi mb,

That's great news.

Shutdown etc: Oh it's just a sudoers problem :facepalm:

Autologin: Will try Pidsley's 'how-to' again since you have confirmed it works.

Many thanks. Will either confirm success or ask for further help in a day or two when I can get back to my Bakewell machine. Sorry for delay.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm

No problem. My only guess, if auto-login doesn't work, is that systemd is not active (so better check the /etc/default/grub file for the /bin/systemd entry)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 pm

I installed Bakewell to test autologin, and I was not able to make it work using the method I described for Coal. I believe I have determined the reason -- Bakewell is still using systemd version 44 (from the sid repo) while Coal uses version 204 (from the experimental repo). After enabling the Debian experimental repo and installing systemd v204, the Coal autologin method now works on my Bakewell install.

If you want to stay with v44, you can work around the autologin problem by changing the ExecStart= line in /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/[email protected] to include the autologin information described in the Coal autologin topic, but this enables autologin on all ttys, not just tty1.

BTW, upgrading to systemd v204 also cured some random reboot/shutdown problems I was having with Bakewell and Hubby.

(edit) upgrade not needed. see this post: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=8693#p8693

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Thank you for going to all that trouble Pidsley.

Sounds like I'll be going to experimental for systemd . . .

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:20 pm

^ No trouble really; other people had reported issues with the autologin stuff, and I wanted to track down the problem. But you're welcome :)

Also please follow bacon's advice and make sure systemd is running -- check "pstree" and also make sure "init=/bin/systemd" is in /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 am

^ And if changes are made to /etc/default/grub, remember to *always* sudo update-grub afterwards.
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Bakewell Startup/Shutdown

Unread post by gurtid » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 am

Ok so . . . as stated by mb the autologin with systemd version 44 works with a tweak here and there. Thank you mb.

As Pidsley stated elsewhere however, this leaves the other ttys logged in, which I guess isn't an issue since you are autologging in anyway :D, but not an ideal situation.

I couldn't get reboot and shutdown to work correctly.

The solution as suggested by Pidsley is to install systemd 204 from experimental.

With systemd version 204 installed:

1. Pidsley's 'Autologin and Startx for Coal' works seamlessly for Bakewell.
2. Changing menu commands for shutdown/reboot to . . .

sudo systemctl poweroff
sudo systemctl reboot
. . . works as well. I don't think I had to modify sudoers at all.

Thanks for your help guys.

NOTE TO ALL: Bakewell is really really nice . . . 64bit which boots to about 80mb with compositing, tint2, conky, redshift :)