How do I install sun or oracle java plugins for iceweasel?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

How do I install sun or oracle java plugins for iceweasel?

Unread post by wayne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:34 am

Greeting..

I used to have some trouble using icedtea plugin on firefox/iceweasel or other plugins for java on some websites from banks.

So far the one that always works is from sun or oracle java plugins.
And following oracle procedure in their website can be very confusing..
There are some ppa that made the procedure very simple, 2-3 codes on terminals that is all.
However it might not be suitable for Debian Sid ( I guess I would not want to use ppa...)

Is there an easy to follow procedure to install oracle java plugins?

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: How do I install sun or oracle java plugins for icewease

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 am

I would follow this: http://wiki.debian.org/JavaPackage

Though the "best" way would be
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre icedtea-7-plugin

(IcedTea if you need Java in your browser)

Better don't mix the procedures, so decide for one. If it doesn't work, remove it and try the other.

Reference (though in German) http://siduction.org/index.php?name=PNp ... pic&t=2633

Generally you can try suggestions from Aptosid/Siduction's forums, they're our uncles.
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:08 pm

hmmmm . . . interesting.

Does icedtea cause many ppl problems? The reason I ask is as follows . . .

I've had issues with my laptop randomly locking up (hard boot required) for the past month or two. Uninstalled all the icedtea/java stuff about 2 days ago and has been solid as a rock.

What do I need the java stuff for anyway? . . . everything seems to be functioning ok . . . is it nasty little sneaky script stuff that runs in the background?

The laptop is a 32bit waldorf install taken to sid - with no icedtea/java it's solid. On same laptop a 64bit waldorf install (not sid) locks up rarely. 64bit Kielbasa also locked up on this.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:19 pm

gurtid,

I don't know about lockups, because I don't use Java - I only know that the recommended method is using the OpenJDK version of Java (but that's quite obvious, we live in Debian Province where everything non-free or prop. is evil) and the IcedTea browser plugin with it. If I ever need Java stuff, I fire up Virtualbox in which I have XP and all those things I don't want to dirt my Linux installation with :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:48 pm

OpenJDK works perfectly, though I do not use it anymore but if you need Java, I indeed recommend it.

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:47 am

Well, to make it simple for me :) to install or uninstall, I still go back to using ppa, sigh..

using this link
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... u-via.html

and follow these

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

it worked on 1.7_9

and I just dist-upgrade , it is now 1.7_10 and is working OK.

hopefully it continues to be OK for future also.