Netinstall blues

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

Re: Netinstall blues

Unread post by pottzie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

So OK, I read the wiki for dwm, wiped the blood from my eyeballs, and went with the openbox-lxappearance combo that MB suggested, added the Google/Chrome browser, fired it up and it did pretty much what happened the last time. Video, yes, sound, no. But now I'm seeing what it takes to connect the dots, so no biggie. i had to get sound and wireless working on the LXDE install, although that came with pulse audio and Network Manager. Can't remember exactly what I installed, alsaconf and a few others, got alsamixer to come up and turned up the volume slide bar. Still no sound but it was going in the right direction. the blank screen was an issue, so I installed feh and tried to get a .jpg that I had in the Downloads directory, and that might have worked if I hadn't given the .jpg a file name with two words (using a space).

So I saw the 'configure," or something option in the small box that comes up when I right click, and did what I thought would give me an upper and lower task bar, thinking I could get some icons so I could adjust the sound from there. Instead, when I closed the graphic, I must have thought I was closing the small panel, and instead have made it go away completely, so now right clicking is just a finger exercise, I got nuthin'.

So I had it for a bit, then proceeded to break what little there was. The information about opening a video in the terminal is good, but without having some way to find what video you want, it's a problem. I'd still need a way to know somehow that the video was at address before telling bash to play it.

I know. So many problems.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 pm

pottzie, sounds to me you are on the right track, fiddling about and kicking tyres. the only reason we tend to get our panties in a bunch over here is when we get the idea people are bitching more than they are trying. this post shows you are definitely busy with the latter. sadly, i have no idea about your sound-issue. i will help you hope somebody else chimes in who knows more shit than i do :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah, the LXDE was the first full-on Debian I'd gotten working. I tried it when I started using Linux, and was all "This sucks" when it didn't install what I expected a fully functioning operating system to do. And, in the days of dial-up, getting a full Debian install meant starting a download and going to bed and hope that the phone connection didn't time out because AOL thought you were murdered after four hours and would disconnect.

Saw a discussion on Reddit where they were saying what they thought it took to undo damage like I just clobbered my set up with. There were a lot of good ideas, one that stood out was a comment that understanding how init works, and that things like modules and files have an inheritance, where the original 'event' spawns another series of cascading things to happen in a sequence, or maybe with systemd they all attack at once. I dunno.

After I read the responses, I thought it reminded me of someone (myself) saying to, say, a group that regularly runs or works out "Why you wanna do all that?" It looks nightmarish to someone who isn't a runner, and I can only guess how absurd the question is to someone who gets up and does 5 miles every day.

I'm going to go back and take another look at Gangbang, and see what I can do with it.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:03 pm

don't forget to have fun :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 am

About the sound issue:
- we need to know the sound card in use and the sound module: cat /proc/asound/cards
- you see the module in use, for example "Intel ICH6 with AD1981B at irq22", note the module
- visit https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... Models.txt and search the page for the module you found (in our example AD1981B
- as root, edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
add your module to the options, for example:

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=basic
where we know that model=basic is taken from the website before, after searching there for 1981B
(If we're there already, be sure to comment the lines:

Code: Select all

##install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && [etc]
##install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi &&  [etc]
##install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&  [etc]
- restart the computer.

The "problem" is that you started with a netinstall and might have 'forgotten' to download stuff like alsa-firmware or to set up alsamixer and alsa to restore sound levels. This was the reason we actually *have* LinuxBBQ, because the early version was nothing else than a netinstall image for Sid, with a few apps already set up. You might try "Tiny" or "Bass" and build up from there. Size-wise it's nearly no difference.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:29 am

hey potzzie, just saw this and MB's response. see these two threads

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=404

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=409

it doesn't really add anything different than what MB mentions above, but may add some context.

Work hard; Complain less