Tell me more about killX-nietzsche-64 please

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Potatohead
killall X

Tell me more about killX-nietzsche-64 please

Unread post by Potatohead » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi all, I saw the advertisment ;-) for
nietsche
. Seems like a great idea - a distro-independent Git based eh... distro ?

Is there anybody out there who knows more about this? If you go for "Slackware" like builds, there is no dependendency resolution, right?

I see some Funtoo influence as well, right? (Git based)

Actually I am totally noob and puzzled, but intrigued...... tell me all!

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: Tell me more about killX-nietzsche-64 please

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 pm

There's 99 ways to make a system, but apt ain't one. ;)

It's the essence of brutality wrapped up in a nice stage3. Figure out HOW you want to make stuff, and do homework on dependencies before you start a new program install. I haven't checked into all of the ways to install new stuff yet, but the git/slack style don't resolve deps for you.

I know that Pidsley and me have played some with it. It's linux, pure and simple. It is not the most gentle system ever made, so use at your own discretion.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:35 pm

hey Joe, thanks. Seems like a fun project, I was trying to fond where it sits between Gentoo, Slack, LFS and Arch, but that does not matter, it its all good. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:29 am

Hi Earthapple,
killX is indeed not gentle and not 'user-friendly' like the APT-based distros, or anything that makes a dependency resolution for you. It's basically a gentoo in Slack (not Arch, but I will make pacman-g2 from Frugalware work for it in the next version). The aim is NOT to use X, ever, and to do 90% of your tasks in the tty (the remaining 10% for watching Flash videos - won't work). Git-based, because there are several tools that get packages from git(hub) directly from the developers, and not patched/branded versions like in other distros. The "package managers" are there to make possible upgrades of the base stuff easier, for this I have picked slackware's pkgtools, but actually it is not needed to 'dist-upgrade´ for a while. killX is very much in alpha, and probably will always stay there. It's something to teach the user how comfortable life actually is in all those comfort-zone distros, and it also shows how damned stable stuff in Debian's Sid-country is, even with experimentals enabled.
It is not for beginners, and surely not for fanbois, and there are many source-based distros that are better (gentoo, funtoo, the source-mage derivatives, Void, ...). Before somebody goes through LFS, though, he or she can try killX which takes away the hours setting up a broken base system.
If you enable GPM, you can switch to tty2 and tty3 for real terminal-window-managers (Twin, Viper), so click-and-point is possible.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:01 am

Before somebody goes through LFS, though, he or she can try killX which takes away the hours setting up a broken base system.
thats me.
i'm getting wlan0 to work.... atm 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:05 pm

su -
dhcpcd

or
su -
killx

that's basically the bbq CLI menu for killX
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:25 pm

It IS source based, right? Binaries are bloat.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

yes and no
the slackware tarballs are binaries, but the stuff you download via the sbopkg, emerge, bower and slackyd are sources. sbopkg can be set to download from git, by the way.
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 am

How about the Nix packagemanager? nixos.org "Nix is a purely functional package manager. This means that it can ensure that an upgrade to one package cannot break others, that you can always roll back to previous version, that multiple versions of a package can coexist on the same system, and much more."

I don't gave the skills to implement it but it sounds GREAT, right?, for inclusion in Nietsche :-)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 am

The problem with having multiple versions of the same file is no problem in killX.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:27 am

Another thing is, that I have on purpose not opened a forums or anything related to killX. ;) If you want to change it (the release), do it.
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 am

OK Machinebacon, fair enough. And thanks to the whole crew for the work!