[SOLVED] BBQSnapshot - delete live user/shell for new user

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
gurtid
Uninstaller

[SOLVED] BBQSnapshot - delete live user/shell for new user

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:35 am

I've made a snapshot of my kickarse Bakewell install (well, to be correct, many snapshots trying to iron out my fuckups) and although I've sorted most of the glitches (completely due to my ignorance) there are two issues I haven't been able to resolve. Hoping some of you may have encountered these previously and can point me in the right direction. No doubt something I'm not quite doing correctly.

1. I've installed zsh and can't work out why my login shell isn't set to zsh on installation for the newly created user. It's simple enough to fix post install but would be nice to have pre-setup. I thought there was a .profile setting I was missing but that doesn't appear to be the case.

2. Some of the snapshots created delete the live users home folders (and I assume the live user) and some don't. Not too sure why that may be. Unfortuneatly my current live user is called 'home' so maybe there's a fuck up there somewhere.

[EDIT] oh - I'm installing to a separate home partition if it makes a difference
Last edited by gurtid on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

gurtid
Uninstaller

Re: BBQSnapshot

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:20 am

I found some of the snapshot config files referring to original live user (bbq) changed those to home and redid the snapshot. New install deleted live user ok. The other snaps where live user was deleted must have been created from installs with bbq as user.

I think that kinda makes sense and seems logical doesn't it?

The other problem remains. Login shell for new user isn't zsh.

Any suggestions?

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:29 am

re: zsh

Check useradd -D for the defaults for shells per user in Debian. You can (IIRC, change the /etc/default/useradd file to make global changes) or

Code: Select all

sudo useradd -m -d /home/deathstar -s /bin/zsh vader
for each user's default shell.

If you wish to check it after setting them up

Code: Select all

grep vader /etc/passwd
should give you a line that ends in /bin/zsh for the user that is strong with the dark side of the force.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:32 am

There are two answers: one is to install with bbqinstaller and one wth live-installer. the bbqsnapshot tool does not remove /home/$USER. the live installer removes it, the bbqinstaller doesn't.

about zsh: it's set in the defaults file /etc/default/useradd, and in /etc/passwd (or the chsh wrapper)
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 am

Awesome - you guys rock! Will check it out. Have a good holiday mb.

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:01 am

Wow, easy huh? I should have been able to find that! Sorry to trouble you. Thanks once again.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: [SOLVED] BBQSnapshot - delete live user/shell for new us

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 am

maybe this helps (if installing via bbqinstaller) -> http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=608

thanks gurtid, greetings to nz ;)
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 am

1. The Live-installer script will always create new users with /bin/bash shell irrespective of your adduser/useradd configs. This is because it is hard-coded to do so . . . Line 213 of /usr/lib/live-installer/installer.py . . . change to suit your requirements ;)

2. The Live-installer script will attempt to delete the live user specified in /etc/live-installer/install.conf. If your live user actually has a different name, s/he/it will be left behind on script completion.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:30 am

Errr.... you are hopefully aware that bbqinstaller is the installer of the self-made roasts, and not live-installer ;)
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

no I'm not aware of that

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 pm

well, now you are!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Yeah well, I guess it's not too big a deal . . .

The first thread in the 'How to's' section is a stickied 'How to install bbq' thread which says to use live-installer. It should the removed or modified to say the live-installer method is depreciated.

Some feedback on bbinstaller/bbqsnapshot:

Installer:

I currently prefer the job the live-installer does because bbqinstaller leaves too much debris around post install - i.e. primarily /target-home ( probably something I'm leaving in the snapshot that the live-user doesn't actually own - a lost+found folder?) and the live-user.

I think removing the live-user is really nice if only as an option. If 'WE' are developing bbqinstaller, I'd like to see that implemented although can see both sides of the story re: reasons for leaving. I don't think it'd take much to add , but then I'm not a programmer/coder/hacker and am SAF.

Need to play around with this some more to get more familiar with it.

Snapshot:

I think disabling mlocate.updatedb (bbqsnapshot) is strange. I comment it out.

Changing default /snapshot and /work locations (i.e to a spare drive/partition) makes it difficult to view the user-modifiable files at the end. i.e script doesn't seem to pick up changed default locations from .conf. This was a big part of why I initially asked for help on this thread. I couldn't easily see the files (to know I needed to change live-user name).

Hope this doesn't come across as a bitch. Both are pretty darned good, as long as you're aware of how they work.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:08 am

Nice. Let's regard it as solved then.

/closed
..gnutella..