A few bugs after Kielbasa install (SOLVED)

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
swftech
Sobe

A few bugs after Kielbasa install (SOLVED)

Unread post by swftech » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm

I finally traded in Chorizo for Kielbasa using the latest linuxbbq-rc1-xfce.iso
And right away noticed several bugs that Chorizo didn't have.

First one
During the live session I noticed logout didn't work, but assumed it would be fine once installed. After install same logout error...Received error while trying to log out...Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.SessionManager': no such name

Btw, I will investigate these bugs further myself, but wanted to post these now in case I fix them and forget what bugs I ran into straight after installation.

Second one
LightDM at login is totally fucked up and graphics are all a mess. Luckily I can see the login area ok, but the image around it is all jumbled. Like I might have to configure my graphics driver or something. Again was fine in Chorizo.

Third one
Surprisingly I see an update manager in Kielbasa, but I have always updated outside of x in sid or even testing. Which brings me to bug three. Before logging in, my usual routine to update has been
ctrl+alt+f1 - login as root - init 3 - apt-get update - apt-get dist-upgrade - apt-get clean - init 5 && exit - then login as usual.
But in Kielbasa, init 3 command not found?

Fourth one
Straight away I wanted to change the theme to greybird, entering appearance in Xfce settings and clicking greybird does nothing. It highlights and looks as if it's selected, but theme will not change. Same for icons and font, none of it works.
When clicking window manager or window manager tweaks nothing happens either, wont open either one at all to change window manager and add transparency.

Ok, just realized while looking through menus, I have to use lxappearance to change themes and icons instead of using the Xfce setting for appearance? Which must also mean no Xfwm for window manager? I am in the Xfce session not openbox, so not sure why lxappearance controls theming.

Last but not least, and not a bug but preference. In fonts, don't see droid sans which was a surprise since I think this is normally a default font in most distros, and was in Chorizo. Will add it because it just looks so much better. :)

Anxiously awaiting your response Grillmeister, might be something you've mentioned before about these things and I just missed it. Thanks in advance :D

Edit - checked the md5 for the iso and it is fine, also re-installed a second time before posting in case something might have messed up during install, but still no go.

I thought I was upgrading from Chorizo...lol but none of this was an issue in the old girl :P
Last edited by swftech on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Numerous bugs after Kielbasa install

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks Mikey. Sorry for the issues, but let's go through them:

1) I haven't seen that on any installation and it's the first time I hear of such an error. I will google what the cause might be, I can only guess it's something around systemd.
I don't even know where to start :)
2) Please check /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf - the line "background=" to point at your preferred background. Garbled screen usually means that no background is set for lightdm.
3) The 'init 3' you mean are sysvinit runlevels. It's not a bug, we don't have sysvinit. Edit: the update-manager is optional, because a few users have complained that Synaptic is not installed. I added this and gDebi and the update-manager to cool them down.
4) Greybird is already chosen as default WM decoration and changing it in xfce-appearance normally changes it from FlatStudio to greybird. I have it right now running here, no issues. lxappearance doesn't show in XFCE4, so I don't quite understand "not sure why lxappearance controls theming". Seriously, I cannot reproduce this.

Feel free to install whatever fonts you like. I added Adobe Sans/Source just because they are not in the repos (and at Chorizo's release not yet available). Of course I can add Droid Sans, I will file this as 'request' ;)

Thanks for your submission.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Mikey,

logout from XFCE (via menu, via the icon in the right upper corner, via right-click menu) works. I am positive you tried to log out in the Openbox session via XFCE panel (the two damned sessions look absolutely similar, except that the right-click desktop menu brings Openbox's root menu). Blame me, I shouldn't have added it in the first place there and I will quite surely remove the Openbox session from RC2.
This also explains what you mean with lxappearance. In Openbox's session lxappearance and obconf are responsible for theme setting (see #!)

Please make sure that you select XFCE session in LightDM. You can force XFCE4 to be the default session by a simple edit:

sudo nano /usr/share/xsessions/ lightdm-xsession.desktop
change
Exec=default
to
Exec=startxfce4
save and exit.

This will fix 1) and 4)
..gnutella..

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:04 pm

Ok, thanks for getting back so quickly Mb. First of all you were right about choosing Xfce from login, totally different experience now. I assumed (which I shouldn't have) that default session would be solely Xfce, unless I chose Openbox. I logged out by right click menu and it worked, chose Xfce and can def tell I am completely in Xfce now...Thanks. Once again, I should have thought to choose Xfce at login without assuming :(

Now that I am in Xfce, the appearance shit is working as expected, Graphics are working as expected. Compositing is already enabled etc. Hell, I don't even know if I still want to change any theming, because it all looks beautiful. :) I will let you know if anything else happens, but it might have ALL been because I was in a mix of Xfce/Openbox or some shit...lol. Since this wasn't really a bug, should we just delete this whole topic I started under false pretenses? That way someone doesn't see it and go Holy shit, I'm not trying Kielbasa!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Haha, it's not a final release and there *are* bugs, like for example the default session is not set right (though I don't understand why damned LightDM doesn't want to pick startxfce4, it is even set via update-alternatives -- thats why I wrote the notes section here: http://linuxbbq.org/releases/XFCE/linux ... enotes.txt) and the missing backdrop for LightDM. Openbox should come with tint2, and it's really just a thing of 3 keystrokes to change in Openbox's autostart, so I should have (or incorrectly; should of) done it.

Can we mark it as [solved] for now?
..gnutella..

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Bacon, now that you set me straight with the proper session, all is totally awesome. You did a great job with kielbasa sir.
One and last question I want to ask you, is your opinion on updating through update manager in sid. I have just always done it out of x
because of fear of breakage. In stable I just did dist-upgrade through terminal in the session, but with LMDE and siduction have always done it through init 3 etc before logging in.
I think the update manager is definitely convenient, and a cool added extra, but not sure how safe.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Numerous bugs after Kielbasa install (SOLVED)

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks Mikey, have fun breaking the new girl ;)

wrt update-manager: It's as safe as the user.

Generally, a dist-upgrade doesn't require you to leave the graphical environment, though there are the X-files (xserver-related) that might cause problems when installed inside a running X session. What you did with the "init 3" in the past was to log out from the X session and changing to the aptosidish Red Hat runlevel 3, which made sure that you can cleanly replace or upgrade the packages. I have of course tried to break the releases by upgrading images that were a year old, inside of X, with download sizes of several hundred megabytes, including kernels and stuff, and nothing happened. This is not a recommendation, just an observation. I do recommend checking the APT output, and I do not recommend using synaptic to install packages. It's inclusion is merely to provide a GUI for APT's search feature, as requested.
You can always choose if you want to dist-upgrade after checking the list of packages that are ought to be installed, removed or upgraded. If you see xserver-related packages in the list, consider leaving the session and stopping the DM (sudo systemctl stop lightdm.service) in tty1. You can also make a safe-upgrade (downloads the files without installing them) and run the actual upgrade outside of X.
..gnutella..

swftech
Sobe

Re: A few bugs after Kielbasa install (SOLVED)

Unread post by swftech » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks, answered completely :) Now, as you requested off to try and break the new girl :D