Achieve Pidsley Level (Rape my RAM)

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Achieve Pidsley Level (Rape my RAM)

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:34 pm

I managed to use echo piped on i3 bar, but I got 52MB instead of the 50 I had using conky. Though it was good for my poor bash scripting skills.

Edit: after a couple of reboots, I got 48MB. Without cups, 47. I'm slowly finding my way to linuxhalla.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Screenshots

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Noticed any change in performance? :D

Next step: replace rxvt with some light terminal emu ;)
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Lighter than urxvt? Just when I thought I had a real good alternative to that terminator!

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 pm

^ Haha. And now it even gets ridiculous with that amount of RAM you have. :D I use more RAM on boot and have half the memory.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 am

@geko: oh yesh there are - aterm, eterm, st - to name three. Of course, as ivan says, it's a bit ridiculous to shave off a few kilobytes here and there. You would even notice a performance increase (lol) by changing the gtk2 theme to something based on Mist engine. Hand-spun kernel, clean up systemd. Exclude drivers/modules that are not needed on your box (ask Pidsley). Play around with swappiness (ask seabizcuit). Heck, even the use of a wallpaper (ask Wux) or the default fonts (ask ivan) have *some* impact...
But if you ask me, this is more like adding a pinch of star aniseed to a skewer of shashlik. You might notice it, hate it, love it, or ignore it :D
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 am

Why has there been no mention of replacing the bash with ash, and going 100% busybox init instead of systemd? I mean, if we're min/maxing, then that should certainly be mentioned.

...seriously, though, at some point (unless you're Pidsley, or you're just playing the reductionist game for the experience) it doesn't really make a considerable difference in performance. I've come to embrace my 50ish MB on boot system, because the benefits of zsh and good dynamic tiling are worth far more to me than shaving another 20 megs of RAM off of the 6GB I have available that NEVER gets used.

My system is bloat, and I'm okay with that. ;)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:04 am

people just made a valid points.

you know what's a fun thing to do? weed through your dmesg and find all the slow points and small, (probably) meaningless errors, then Google your ass off trying to fix them. i guarantee you will shave off at least 2Kb, and notice a definite increase in boot-speed of (at least!!) 0.33 milliseconds. plus: it's fun! (i know cuz i did this)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 am

DebianJoe wrote:Why has there been no mention of replacing the bash with ash, and going 100% busybox init instead of systemd? I mean, if we're min/maxing, then that should certainly be mentioned.
I did this on my test box. I thought people already knew about it.

It is true that at some point you start to sacrifice usability for numbers. Everyone has a critical point where the tradeoff becomes important. I'm sitting here looking at my conky running on my main machine, using 400M of 4G on a 3.8.2 kernel, and that's perfectly fine.

I do reductionist systems to show people what's possible -- I run Arch with OpenRC and eudev instead of systemd for the same reason (and to give the finger to anyone who tries to tell me they are being forced to use systemd). It's not a game; I'm trying to make a point.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 am

Oh yes, I'm happy with 48/50MB at the moment. I got my bloat, but everything I need is working exactly the way I want. So yeah, it's just a game now. But I keep learing from it.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:18 am

pidsley wrote:I did this on my test box. I thought people already knew about it....It's not a game; I'm trying to make a point.
I knew about it, and had used that exact method when I did my 64MB RAM thin-client project because of the results that you had shown. I don't think that Gekkop was around when you did it, though.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

machinebacon wrote:...or the default fonts (ask ivan) have *some* impact...
Sure. E.g., disable anialiasing or use bitmap fonts.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Uhm Gekko, you do realize I was just joking about lowering memory use, right?
You don't really have to go through all that just for the sake of it.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Its more about the process of identifying unnecessary processes. Great opportunity to learn about your system. Bloat for me is more about the stuff I don't need/use.

One of us should move this stuff to a new thread on its own. I can do it later if I'm on my laptop

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:07 pm

gutterslob wrote:Uhm Gekko, you do realize I was just joking about lowering memory use, right?
You don't really have to go through all that just for the sake of it.
Well, like I said (and like dkeg's saying above), I'm learning something new. Of course I can't see better perfomances, but it's a good exercise if I'll happen to deal with older PCs.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:45 pm

@Dkeg: It is heavyily mixed with other posts and screenshots. I would suggest from now on we move the discussion to another thread if Gekko still wants to achieve Pidsley level. ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Achieve Pidsley Level (Rape my RAM)

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Okay, these posts have been moved/split from the Screenshots into a new topic. Sorry for inconsistency ;)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:59 pm

^ Ah, splitting, great! Worked.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Well, my own "work on that RAM usage, noob!" topic. Thanks!
Maybe I should try another wm and see if it'll make any difference.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm

dont worry too much about the wm resource usage. its more about which wm does what you want. but sure, grab yourself gangbang and read the xbindkeys file, and test them all. and check their free -h after start.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm

If you're down around 50M at startX right now that's pretty good. You won't get much lower by changing the WM. Post your pstree and we can see if you have anything unnecessary running (understanding that this is an exercise and learning opportunity more than anything).