OK, I have cookies in place ... two problems ...

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Sector11
Sperminator

Re: OK, I have cookies in place ... two problems ...

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:50 pm

dkeg wrote:how did you create your user? I think there's a permission issue here.
It asked for a "host" name - never did ask for a user name...
I have to re-install in a few minutes ...

Hey hawkeye - right you are - typo -> bbs = bbq :D

BRB
I am THE resident noob, hands down no discussion. ... and
I wear my soap on a rope.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Go for Cameltoe ;) Or Yuebing. You can easily add openbox-session later
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Congrats, we just cracked 10000 posts here ;)
..gnutella..

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:44 pm

machinebacon wrote:Go for Cameltoe ;) Or Yuebing. You can easily add openbox-session later
but --- but --- that would be cheating ... I may have to though for as promising as Cookies looks it doesn't like me..

I don't want to let it beat me ... but ...
Misquote of Jonathan Winters wrote:You know what fries my ass?
A cookie grill about this high! {indicating crotch high}
I cannot get it going.... Where is the md5sum? I have:

Code: Select all

c4462584bbe60ef810c9e18eb2aac4af
Tried twice today ... using some info gleaned along the way.
When the live-USB booted:
  1. bbq@grill:~$ startx
  2. changed the font sizes in OBconf
  3. OB RUN: leafpad ~/.config/openbox/autostart - - changed: setxkbmap latam &
  4. Exit OB
  5. bbq@grill:~$ startx - that gave me a latam keyboard.
  6. bbq@grill:~$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list - commented out the repo
  7. bbq@grill:~$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome-unstable.list - commented out the repo
  8. bbq@grill:~$ sudo apt-get update
  9. bbq@grill:~$ sudo apt-get install gksu
  10. bbq@grill:~$ gksu live-installer
First kick at the can: I got all the way to "parted" for partitions ... and received an error ...

cursed a blue streak!!!!!!!!!!!!

re-booted the Live-USB again because I forgot to note the error message and went through the same process
this time for "gksu live-installer" the password did not work:

Note: Username: bbq Password: bbq
DebianJoe will be happy to know that nano is growing on me. :D

OK going for Cameltoe or Yuebing - I hate to admit defeat but this has me stumped. The only distro I've tried that I cannot get installed properly.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Why not use BBQ installer.

Work hard; Complain less

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:30 pm

dkeg wrote:Why not use BBQ installer.
As in:
Start the installer

You find it in the menu (depending on the flavour it can be in different locations) - if you don't find "Install LinuxBBQ" then please press Alt-F2 or Alt-F3 and enter:

gksudo live-installer
[Alt-F2] didn't work [Alt-F3] brings up the menu across the top ... gksu is not installed so I went through that process shown above and tried:

gksudo live-installer
that's when "parted" crapped out.

I just popped in the Live-USB and tried OB > CLI > BBQINSTALLER
something flashed on the screen in the upper left for a second

OB menu says:

x-terminal-emulator -e bbqinstaller
It doesn't work. :(

The system is there, but I am "bbq" my password is "bbq" and root's password I set to something different

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:59 pm

just curious, are you able to just open up a terminal session and run

sudo bbqinstaller

?

Work hard; Complain less

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Yup, that's how I got it installed in the first place.

but it does not ask for the user or to change the user password.
CRAP!!!!!!! ...........

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_username

I knew that ... i remember that from years ago ... Nothing to lose everything to gain ...
I shall return.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 am

ok, that's what I thought you'd say. You can follow some of what I did here.

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=726

few posts down. I would create a new user, not change the existing root user.

Work hard; Complain less

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks Drew ...

Wife time ... will try that tomorrow.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 am

Again, the liveinstaller is actually dead. I only use it for full-feat desktop systems where the whole gtk-sadness is installed, along with gparted, the python-parted, the whole python-awfulness, etc. Making the live-installer work costs around 50MB ISO space, just to have the files copied to hard drive like bbqinstaller does.

Open a terminal
sudo bbqinstaller
Go through it, enter password where asked (use bbq here, why making it complicated).
Reboot, log in tty with bbq/password (so, bbq in the optimal case) and create a new user if wanted or usermod -l newname oldname.
This should take less than 10 minutes all in all.
..gnutella..

mamaw
Riesenpenis

Unread post by mamaw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 am

i have a simple question :/
the bbqinstaller don't have a separated /home option without formatting the partition?

how to enable separated /home partition without destroying its content.. any way to do this?

it all begin from curiousity

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:38 am

Maybe not a satisfying answer: do not create (or use) a separate home in bbqinstaller, simply skip this step, and mount your shared home partition (which is of course a partition, and not a folder inside of a partition) in fstab.

This post says *exactly* what I think about shared home folders, and it outlines the procedure. Use ext4 instead of ext3 mentioned there -> http://askubuntu.com/questions/42551/ca ... -multiboot

Personally, I am not a friend of shared home partitions, because if you have different versions of the same app running on different distros, they might get overwritten with an incompatible format (see Openbox menu.xml or awesome's config file, recently). You can share media files, of course, or documents, PDF files, photos - just be careful with dotfiles.
..gnutella..

mamaw
Riesenpenis

Unread post by mamaw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 am

i usually have shared /home partition, but with different username. so the dotfiles is save in each of the username :)

i will try the binding method. thanks MB.

it all begin from curiousity

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:19 pm

@Sector11; Maybe you have moved on? Just wanted to tell you what have worked for me. My first install went pretty well, but had the habit of crashing during boot quite often. I had to turn off the power and retry, sometimes several times before booting into the most beautiful of "Cookies". Tried a second install to usb that worked quite good but not satisfactory. What did work for me in the end (so far:) was/is, that after booting into the liveusb,
I have started the bbqinstaller from the terminal and just installed. I did not change or do anything else than install, no configuring, no fooling around, no clicking, no connecting to the web, I only started the terminal and installed. This has worked very well twice for me now. I am posting this from a persistent usb install booted through my eeepc. It runs surprisingly well from usb. I sometime test install to a 32gb usb before I do it to hd, just to see how things work.
Yes it is worth it, this cookie gives me the same coolness/shivers factor as the legendary "Samgyeopsal" (R.I.P) release did. My first BBQ love:)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:16 am

@ machinebacon ... thanks for the reply. I agree ... hate shared /home partitions.

@ vic - no not moved on, just got caught up with some heavy duty life stuff and working on tweaking a few bash scripts with a friend in Sweden. I still have cookies here, ignored these past few days, I'll follow MB's train of thought and create/add a user and try from there. Cookies is too cool to pass up so quickly....

@ dkeg - still have to get to that too... {sigh} .. I need more hours less commitments.

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:38 am

bbqinstaller-gui gives the option to create a separate /home partition and ALSO create a new user/delete old user. It works well (once converted to yad)

Incidentally - what needs to be removed/purged to completely remove live-installer? (with a view to creating a smaller iso - i.e. mb mentioned the live-installer stuff takes up 50mb of an iso)
The Beaver Destroys Forests

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:06 am

The dependencies take up around 50mb if you come from tiny/bass, as they are not installed on no-live-installer releases. Also, an estimated 40mb are needed for bbqinstaller-gui to work on a no-X system. There is also debian-live-installer as fallback, which has around the same dependency chain like live-installer, but is a bit quicker/dirtier.
ISO size of live-installer without dependencies is ridiculous: live-installer per se takes up around 30 kilobytes on an ISO, so I keep the script there, in case somebody wants to use it for his own distro.

Edit, and *not* directed to anybody personally, just sharing my thoughts:
bbqinstaller is not yet 'finished' wrt the fucking shared home whinery, but I still don't understand why Creating a new user during installation time is such an important point and people get some whimsy about it. gentoo, slackware, arch, <you name it> all require you to set up a user after logging in a root, and that's what BBQ does, too, with the no-X installer. Yes, we do require the user to have some basic understanding about it, and the reason is simple: we do not want to be what is called today 'user-friendly', because this implies that the user is lazy, can't read, gives up quickly, or is a Help Vampire. So, the long term vision is also to give up on GUI installers, or to make the GUI versions more verbose.
..gnutella..

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 am

@ bacon

I didn't know a couple of those things.

1.) bbqinstaller isn't finished.
2.) (not that you are pointing at me) I had no idea that the distros you mentioned required adding a user after logging in as root. So that's new. Like I said above I will go that route, I have just come back from searching some things and getting ready. Since every distro I have tried (I tried ARCH years ago and got to the commandline ... but ...see my sig) installs a user, so it was a natural expectation on my part. Not disappointed to learn it's not ... but glad to know it's not something I did wrong. :D

If anyone considers me a Help Vampire, or sees me heading that way ... please hit me upside the head - publicly! I spend a lot of time searching things, but sometimes things get lost in the mess out there, so I'm not afraid to ask questions. However I don't want to be "OK, now what? ... OK, that's done what's next" type of person.

Someday I want to put a "was" in my signature.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:33 am

Oh nooo, don't get my post wrong, it happened to be in your thread, but it is not directed at you. Knowing what you have given to the #! community in the Conky Monster Thread is prove enough, and I am VERY sure that if I have a question about conky/lua, I would get an instant and working answer from you. Actually, you even did help me years ago over there, about a conky one-liner :)

The bbqinstaller will get features like more file systems for formatting, and the possibilities to install on a stick (persistence), hopefully detection of LVM, etc. -- more or less in this order.
..gnutella..