OK, I have cookies in place ... two problems ...

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
gurtid
Uninstaller

Re: OK, I have cookies in place ... two problems ...

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:51 pm

If I give my snapshoted bakewell usb to a non-linux user to install, my thinking is that it's be a nice touch if they could personalise it a bit by creating their own user at install time rather than me having to tell them to RTFM. There's also commented out reference (by the developer?) to adding it in the cli version of the bbqinstaller script.

Anyway - I STFU . . .
The Beaver Destroys Forests

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm

If you give your snapshoted bakewell ISO to a non-Linux user, you have to make sure he can install it as he wants. For this, you would set up live-installer with all the dependencies and entry in the root menu. For these cases there are around 25 versions on the grill that have the GUI live installer set as default. For all other user cases there is always the bbqinstaller available, as well as the debian-live-installer from LMDE. Every BBQ spin comes with 4 (four!) installers. Talk of user-unfriendliness.

Imagine you give your non-Linux friend Arrogance/Pompous/ENOUGH!/Solyanka ... maybe it is a better choice than Bakewell/Cookies which are definitely not suitable for beginners.

Edit: sorry for quoting myself:
ISO size of live-installer without dependencies is ridiculous: live-installer per se takes up around 30 kilobytes on an ISO, so I keep the script there, in case somebody wants to use it for his own distro.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Minimum requirements (user)

Of course you should have a basic understanding of computers and high interest in Linux to run and configure LinuxBBQ. If this is your
first journey to Linuxland, bring with you a big bag of time and patience. We tried to make LinuxBBQ work 'as good as possible' out of the
box for most hardware on the world, but it is very likely
- or even a requirement -
that you need to tweak your configurations and your setup.
..gnutella..

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 pm

Peace brother.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 pm

@ machinebacon

I am not, and did not, take it as if you were pointing at me .. I think you'd come straight out and tell me, face to face, which is what I would prefer.

I'm a noob here in this crowd. YEARS ago a guy that was MUCH better than me, told me, the only way to improve your chess game is to play someone better than you. I attribute that to Linux ... tadaaaaa .... here I are!

I'm here a) to learn b) to help (hahahahahaha) when where I can (never know I might get lucky and answer a question "before someone else")

RE: Conky
BTW, My first ever conky question: 23 Dec 2007 - and then on July 22nd, 2008 I wrote: HOW TO: A Beginners Guide to Setting up Conky that has become the basis for the current:

"The information in this thread has been moved to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpConky"

I feel pretty damn good about that!

Conky came easy to me ... and I swore I'd help anyone with conky because of the people that helped me AND it was my way of giving back to the Linux community (I have joined various forums just to join Conky Threads) ... such a strange new world Linux was ... people helping people - just because!

REALLY!!!!!!!!! I helped the baconator! Man you just made my day! Thank you!

Seriously parts of Linux scare me, evade me, confuse me and I doubt I'll ever be nearly as proficient as people here. BUT ... I'm not afraid to break my system (although I try not to) because unlike Windows, I get to keep the pieces.

Cookies, like bakewell (thanks vic - it is yours isn't it?) is a SUPER chance to learn and I've been scouring the net with Startpage to find answers when not busy with other things. Just so I don't become a PITA here. :D
I am THE resident noob, hands down no discussion. ... and
I wear my soap on a rope.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Sector11, nice to see you around again and good to hear that "Cookies" is still cooking for you. No, "Bakewell" is not mine, me? I just roll with the punches, love it anyway.

machinebacon wrote:and the possibilities to install on a stick (persistence)
Is it not possible to install to usb? What have I done wrong? Or is yet another nix thing that I have misunderstood?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Hey Vic,
persistent installation on USB means that you have more than one partition on the USB and can save the private data on it. Probably you mean the straight USB installation, which works if put on an external USB drive.
What I want to enable in the installer is that (if run from an installed system), it creates an installation on USB and makes a data storage partition on the stick. Right now, aptosid/siduction/knoppix/... have this option in separate tools (fll-iso2usb, for example), or you can of course use stuff like lili-usb (linux live usb?) in Windows to create a persistent USB.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:51 pm

^ it's also fairly easy to do with unetbootin: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=442

I used this method to create a persistent Bass USB, and use it on my Atom board as a disk-less low-power folder.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks machinebacon, got it, and thanks pidsley, for the link and also for reminding me about "Gangbang",
have to do something about that one.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks Pidsley, I haven't even thought of unetbootin - might be the qt4 interface that autoremoved unetbootin from my memory ;) Good to know it actually works!
..gnutella..