[solved] install roaster to debian

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
mamaw
Riesenpenis

[solved] install roaster to debian

Unread post by mamaw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:21 am

i really love this roaster, so i log out cookies and boot to my debian-netinst where i experiment to reinventing the wheel.. it is a barebones with openbox installed.

i follow the wiki about installing git and roaster. installingpython, python-gtk2, python-configparser, gettext and links2.
then copy roaster.py to /usr/bin/roaster.

i still got this:
$ roaster ---> /usr/bin/roaster : permission denied

$ sudo roaster --> sudo : roaster : command not found.

what did i missed?
-------
edit : this git stuff is very new to me.
edit 2 : typo.
Last edited by mamaw on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

it all begin from curiousity

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: [ask] install roaster to debian

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:37 am

You can go about it two ways:

Code: Select all

sudo make install
from the directory that was created when you used git to clone it...or, the super cheesy way

Code: Select all

mv roaster.py /usr/bin/roaster
...which will work as well.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:49 am

You could set the right permissions manually, like chmod +x /usr/bin/roaster and/or chmod 777 /usr/bin/roaster, of course as root.
..gnutella..

mamaw
Riesenpenis

Unread post by mamaw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am

after chmod +x. it warn me there is no webkit.
so i install python-webkit. thats solve the problem..
thankyou MB and DebJoe.

-------
after installing make,
i try sudo make install, and the output : no rule to make install. stop --> i guess the system is not ready to compile stuff (?) (never compile from source before :/ ). i will googling it later

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: [solved] install roaster to debian

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:35 am

....oh, my mistake... I didn't include a Makefile with that one as it's an integrated script. O_o

Ignore my stupidity. Your system isn't at fault here so much as me not remembering what the hell I did to which project. Roaster doesn't actually "require" an installation, but it is easier to launch from a shell by being inserted into the user's path...assuming that all dependencies have been met.

Glad that you got it taken care of. Would a Makefile (and thus "make install") make this process easier? I could potentially have it check for the correct dependencies, and fail with verbose output if they're not found.

Edit: I checked the included INSTALL.md file, which does include the requirements to make it run. For future reference, always check the INSTALL files when pulling a repo down to build it on your local system. They have REALLY useful information inside of them.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

mamaw
Riesenpenis

Re: [solved] install roaster to debian

Unread post by mamaw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:49 am

DebianJoe wrote: Glad that you got it taken care of. Would a Makefile (and thus "make install") make this process easier? I could potentially have it check for the correct dependencies, and fail with verbose output if they're not found.
i cannot answer this since i never compile before.
but the instruction at the wiki and readme is very likely clear.
i just miss the chmod step :)