Can't Run Firefox 17.0.1

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
KrunchTime
Virgin

Can't Run Firefox 17.0.1

Unread post by KrunchTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09 am

First, I never could get Iceweasel to install from the LinuxBBQ Shopper method and the current version in the repos is old. So I decided to try using Firefox.

I downloaded the TAR from Mozilla and extracted it to the "bin" folder under my home folder. I've tried running both "firefox" and "firefox-bin" from terminal, but all I get is:

bash: firefox: command not found

or

bash: firefox-bin: command not found

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong if anything.
Currently running Escargot on an ASUS UL20A

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Can't Run Firefox 17.0.1

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 pm

To enable the download of the newest version of Iceweasel, take a loot at

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bbq.list
paste in these:

deb http://linuxbbq.org/repos/apt/debian sid main

# choose one or none:
deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-beta
#deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-aurora
# and install with
# sudo apt-get install -t experimental iceweasel

About firefox, you need to add the path to your .bash_profile:
1. Extract firefox to $HOME
2. Ass this to your .bashrc: export PATH="$HOME/firefox:$PATH"
3. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser x-www-browser /home/$YOURUSERNAME/firefox/firefox 100
4. Change the WEb Browser option or whatever it is in your openbox menu
[ref: el_koraco at #!]

Unsure why shopper wouldn't work. I have tested it right now, all good here. Mind to run it from terminal with gksudo shopper and post the output? It should echo the selection, so the output is quite bare.
..gnutella..

KrunchTime
Virgin

Unread post by KrunchTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for the response, machinebacon. No, I don't mind running shopper from terminal. I'm not at my other lappy at the moment, but when I am, I'll run shopper from terminal and post the output.

Hmm...this morning I read another post by ivanovnegro (CrunchBang forums) about installing and running Firefox. If I remember correctly, he did what I did (download and extract) and he didn't mention anything about adding the path to the .bash_profile.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:13 am

Because the $PATH in bash_profile is an additional path you want to use for the things you put in /home/user/bin. Try the command

echo $PATH
on different distros and you see what I mean. The shown folders are those which will be used for commands. /usr/bin/ is the one that works for all installed apps. You can create a kind of wrapper that runs a package from a predefined location or you can create softlinks.
So, you need to add your new path in LinuxBBQ which is not based on Crunchbang.
..gnutella..

KrunchTime
Virgin

Unread post by KrunchTime » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 am

..."Unsure why shopper wouldn't work. I have tested it right now, all good here. Mind to run it from terminal with gksudo shopper and post the output? It should echo the selection, so the output is quite bare."

See attachment. Before you key on the kernel, I experienced the same issue with the prior kernel.

I like the fact that you allow attachments on the forum.
Attachments
20121212_gksudo-shopper_Output.png
20121212_gksudo-shopper_Output.png (10.79 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

KrunchTime
Virgin

Unread post by KrunchTime » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 am

machinebacon wrote:Because the $PATH in bash_profile is an additional path you want to use for the things you put in /home/user/bin. Try the command

echo $PATH
on different distros and you see what I mean. The shown folders are those which will be used for commands. /usr/bin/ is the one that works for all installed apps. You can create a kind of wrapper that runs a package from a predefined location or you can create softlinks.
So, you need to add your new path in LinuxBBQ which is not based on Crunchbang.
I'm not quite sure I understand. I ran the "echo $PATH" command and the bin folder under my home folder is listed. Do I also have to include the Firefox folder in the $PATH in bash_profile as well?
Attachments
20121212_echo-PATH_Output.png
20121212_echo-PATH_Output.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 5804 times

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 am

Do something like

sudo ln -s /home/sleepdisorder/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox17
The FF can be opened with the command firefox17 then (the name is optional)

Shopper: nothing to do with the kernel, this is just a debig info.
It shows that iceweasel is going to be installed. And, it works here. :/
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:09 am

[quote="machinebacon"]Do something like

sudo ln -s /home/sleepdisorder/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox17
The FF can be opened with the command firefox17 then (the name is optional)

About shopper:

apt-listbugs has a treshold; whenever a package has severe bugs it refuses to install it. It's a security measure and has nothing to do with shopper per se. You can revert this by editing:

sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10apt-listbugs 
and put a // in front of every line there. Then apt-listbugs will install whatever comes, without blocking 'broken' packages.
..gnutella..

KrunchTime
Virgin

Unread post by KrunchTime » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am

My $PATH under Statler is almost identical to my path in LinuxBBQ. I don't understand why I have to do anything different in LinuxBBQ. I don't know the correct term for the type of apps I downloaded, but for examle, I downloaded an app called Hash Calculator that doesn't need to be installed. In Statler, I just extracted the file to the bin folder under my home folder and the result was a folder under ~\bin containing all of the files for Hash Calculator. I created an Execute entry under the Openbox menu GUI, referencing \home\username\bin\hash_calculator\hash_calc_64 and it works. Doing the same thing in LinuxBBQ results in the same nothing that I get with Firefox.
Attachments
2012-12-14--1355478767_640x103_scrot.png
2012-12-14--1355478767_640x103_scrot.png (13.39 KiB) Viewed 5789 times

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 pm

@KT: if firefox decides to change the name of their executable to 'firefox17', then adjustments need to be made. the fact that this isn't the case in Statler is that Statler isn't based on Sid so the firefox-version is probably older and probably doesn't have this name-change (yet).

as for running your hash_calc, if /home/username/bin is in your path but the executable is in /home/username/bin/someotherdickishdirectory/pensicalc_64 it will not run from the commandline because $PATH doesn't work recursively. this is simply how Linux does things, nothing to do with LinuxBBQ whatsoever. you should be able to add it to your Openbox menu with a direct reference to the executable. but i don't know whether you did that or not because your attachment shows nothing on that subject. please provide more information to get more help on this.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 pm

@rhowaldt: The name change "firefox17" was suggested by me so if a newer FF is downloaded from another source, it wouldn't overwrite the previous file.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:39 pm

aah didn't know that! i should do my homework more :)
smart move!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Different users have different ways of running firefox, but I always just do it the easy way... download the latest tar from Mozilla.com, extract the "firefox" folder and place it in opt. Then I just create a keyboard shortcut "alt+b" to point to firefox in opt/firefox/firefox
What's simple about the above method is once a new version comes out, which happens frequently now, just go to mozilla.com, download the new version, extract and put it in opt overwriting the previous firefox folder...simple

Another way I use to do it that worked well was here...
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html