Can't open DVD to play music [solved]

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

Can't open DVD to play music [solved]

Unread post by pottzie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:29 am

Putting together a music DVD for a wedding. Tried to play it in my BBQ-Mate (64 bit) install, DVD wasn't recognized. A quick search recomended VLC, installed that, VLC can't open the DVD.
Saw a suggestion to add multimedia repository, but it was from 2009 and for Lenny. Will that work, and what is the url for a current Sid?
Last edited by pottzie on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Can't open DVD to play music

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 am

Hello,
the question is if the DVD is actually recognized and read by the player (check Caja), then browse the DVD content for a huge file (maybe a VOB file in the Video_VOB folder)

This should be playable with mplayer2 (that is included by default in BBQ), or of course with vlc.

Can you check if the DVD is read correctly after inserting, and not just spinning?
..gnutella..

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 am

Check in Caja if it shows the DVD to see if it is read.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am

You do not need Multimedia for a DVD, only for encrypted ones.

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 am

Yep, and after posting, the DVD was listed in the "Places" section. It wasn't erlier, and I don't know why it was recognized, but once it was, problem solved.

Thanks.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Can't open DVD to play music [solved]

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:43 pm

^ I know this problem. On a friend's machine I have to pop in the CD/DVD multiple times till it gets recognized, who knows why.