Colin - need some help to get going with bspwm

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Potatohead
killall X

Colin - need some help to get going with bspwm

Unread post by Potatohead » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 pm

bspwm seems like a great windowmanager and I am grateful to find it here on the grill :-)

However, I have troubles in working with it and learning the beast. This may be an incredible n00b thing, but I can't find the key bindings....and keybindings are essential in a keyboard driven windowmanager. Again, I am n00b in these things, I have a tendency to try stuf that is way over my head but I hacve also found out that I learn fast that way (yes, the hard, stubborn way...)

Who can tell me where to find or make the keybindings? I could not find, and yes I did google and try.....

* man bspwm tells me about how to make configs (but not what are the actual bindings, IF these are defined in bspwm...
* man sxhkd yield nothing (sxhkd is not installed it seems)
* xbindkeys is an alternative for defining key bindings, but again I am too stupid to see or find the files - ARE keybindings defined or do I have to do it - and if so where?

Advice needed!

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Colin - need some help to get going with bspwm

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 pm

This will get you going:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bspwm

If you want to use xbindkeys, install it and configure it:

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Xbindkeys

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Ok. Thanks Ivan

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 am

Side note about these 'obscure WMs' -- usually they need to be compiled from source if you want to change some default settings, and xbindkeys is a good idea to override defaults for application starters (see ~/.xbindkeysrc file), but stuff like resizing or changing the mod key usually happens in the window manager's config.h file if there is a source code somewhere :)
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the hint Machinebacon :-) I will look!