Ubuntu based BBQ?

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

Ubuntu based BBQ?

Unread post by pottzie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Just saw there's a claim on the Home page that MB has made an edition based on Ubuntu. I know MachineBacon churns out spins that are kinda "out there,' but if he's pulled this one off I want to see it!

I haven't found it , and checking Sourceforge, I see "Baby" listed, but I'm not sure if that's the Ubuntu based spin. By the way, is there any guide that says what different spins are? MB posts when there is a new one, but that happens so often that it's getting tricky (for me) to keep them all up to date, and if they start getting newer versions, then it will be harder for me to sort them out. I'd like something that comes up as a first listing in Google when I search for Linux BBQ Spins, and if there are multiple versions (and 32 and 64 bit as well).

Thanks.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Ubuntu based BBQ?

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Baby is correct
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=825

The spins can come fast, just keep an eye on the forums in the Releases section or G+

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:37 pm

dkeg wrote:The spins can come fast, just keep an eye on the forums in the Releases section or G+
Also check the wiki: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... y:Releases

Although lately the releases have been coming out faster than we can keep the wiki updated.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:38 pm

What Drew said but be aware that it is maybe not that kind of Ubuntu spin you might think. :)

And please, do not bother with 64bit anymore, we just don't. Also, work on your Google skills.

Which part here do you not get from the homepage:
NEU!!!11elf Jetzt auch als Ubuntu!

based on Ubuntu 13.10:
baby - full framebuffer desktop
Keep it burning.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm

I understand there might be X versions.
As pidsley has pointed out, the ubuntu net install can be as heavy or as light as you want.
I ran Ubuntu server for a while.
Gone back to Debian stable.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:25 am

Basically it's quite easy to know what which spin is:
at sourceforge they are put in different folders, named after the Window Manager used. All those spins which will receive regular updates are "Base" releases. Usually they are, in the respective folders, the ISOs with the smallest size.
The folders "Various" have more than one WM. The "Roast Your Own" folder are specially designed for distrolet creation.
By the end of the year we will have all WMs covered, and then I'll redesign the website to link them directly, else I would have to edit the pages and links every second day. Yes, I'm lazy, and I don't care ;)
..gnutella..

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 am

Ivan, the Dutch script over the name threw me. And after following the link that MachineBacon gave, I think I'll hold off for a bit and see what develops.

As far as "Not your usual Ubuntu," that's the reason I wanted to see this! A de-crappifeid Ubuntu? Sounds too good to be true! Clem Lefebvre would do backflips over this.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:15 am

It's German, not Dutch.

The "Baby" basically a ubuntu-mini plus bbqtools plus the system2iso script (that replaces bbqsnapshot), running in framebuffer, so don't expect a fancy graphical user interface. This is the role of X, and not really the scope of "Baby".
..gnutella..