Absinth

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
beta
Oyster-Slurper

Re: Absinth

Unread post by beta » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Sweet.
Thanks for the answer - but even more for the lession.
Much appreciated.

When I opening multiple terms in xfce4 with the default Xresources, it places the terms in different corners of the screen. I very much like this, but can not figure out where this functionality comes from.
Can somebody help me, please?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:46 pm

A good question. It usually has two options in "Window Manager Tweaks" or "Window Manager Settings" of xfwm4, which is placing the window under the pointer (edit: it is not pointer, it s 'center'), or not (which means it puts it to the corners in clock-wise direction, and then centered), and I suppose this can be changed - if the "place window under cursor' is not available (anymore), by editing .config/xfce4/xfwm4/defaults or /usr/share/xfwm4/defaults (don't know if former is actually existing, I am in dwm now)

placement_mode=center
placement_ratio=20

One more thing about the Xresources:

The .Xresources file itself sources color definitions from ~/colors, use the "dkeger" script to select a color scheme (either in terminal or in the Accessories menu, down at "X")

And yes, they are all stored in /etc/skel/.Xres* and /etc/skel/colors
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:00 pm

^ he'll have to search for it 8)

offtopic;

Code: Select all

wux@honeypot:~$ sudo find / -name *resources
/sys/devices/pnp0/00:00/resources
[....SNIP.... Works Fine ]
wux@honeypot:~$ sudo find / -name .X*
find: paths must precede expression: .Xresources
Usage: find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-Olevel] [-D help|tree|search|stat|rates|opt|exec] [path...] [expression]
wux@honeypot:~$ sudo find / -name '.X*'
/tmp/.XIM-unix
[...SNIP Works fine...]
wux@honeypot:~$ find /etc/*/*resou*
/etc/X11/Xresources
/etc/X11/Xresources/x11-common
wux@honeypot:~$ find /etc/skel/*resou*
find: `/etc/skel/*resou*': No such file or directory
Just one those things, doesn't like the dot, I suppose.
might be a fight between pure regex and shell wildcards

Ahh yes, dot is the match any char in regex, no wonder it's confused. OK- (solved)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Ah I see, but that's rather the problem that

*resou*
^
starts with an asterisk and not with a dot.

find /etc/*/.*res*

works.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:10 pm

ugh I just got a Regex induced nosebleed.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Or wux, much easier:

shopt -s dotglob

lets us expand dotfile names.

Try

find /etc/skel/*res*
shopt -s dotglob 
find /etc/skel/*res*
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:19 pm

oooh, thanks, shiny, me likeeee.
that's one for the .bashrc(?) in fact, that might have been there, many installs ago.
anyway i'll STFU now 8)

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 am

What a beautiful and completely evil release. Does anyone else bite his nails trying to install all those beautiful GUI-programs while still staying under 100 MB memory consumption ? Those ATI drivers already push me nearly up to that limit. I was seriously thinking about omitting the wallpaper, but that doesn't really save much.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:57 am

Verändert wrote:Does anyone else bite his nails trying to install all those beautiful GUI-programs while still staying under 100 MB memory consumption ?
YES! all the time ;)
And on a base like this, even the so-called lightweight browsers suck in like 30-60MB of dependencies.
..gnutella..

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:13 pm

wuxmedia wrote:hey guys, did 'find' always need quotes to use the * wildcard?
yes for regex things like {.avi,.mkv}
I don't remember ever needing it, till just recently...
Yes. If you leave the * exposed, the shell will get its fingers on it and substitute whatever it can. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but better always to quote find's search pattern. I always use -name 'pattern' (or -iname or -path or ...). It seems more clear what you're asking for that way. If you want regex it's -regex (matched on the whole path).

btw {.avi,.mkv} isn't regex it's shell stuff.
All code is one.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks John.
btw {.avi,.mkv} isn't regex it's shell stuff.
sorry yes, you're right. My point was * and {} needs quotes with find.

would you believe I read a book on regex? Well, I skimmed through it.

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:48 pm

/still offtopic

find /some/*path/with/asterisks* #without quotes
is getting the shell to expand the asterisks and giving the results to find as a list of arguments, ie directories to enter recursively.
Maybe something like

find /some -path '*path/with/asterisks*'

would more likely get what you want?
/end offtopic
All code is one.

Neil Edmond
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by Neil Edmond » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:32 am

Greetings Guys! Installed Absinthe a few days ago, and I'm really impressed with how fast it is on my old X40 ThinkPad. I'm having some trouble browsing Windows shares in Thunar, however. So far I've installed Samba, and configured smb.conf like I usually do on other distros, but I'm still getting the error "Failed to open "/on". The specified location is not supported."

So...what's missing?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:20 am

Hi Neil,

I guess the gvfs/cifs packages should be installed to enable browsing Windows shares, or add them to your fstab as static entries. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
..gnutella..

Neil Edmond
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by Neil Edmond » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:17 am

Good guess Baconator, 'cause I did not have those gvfs/cifs packages installed. Now I do, and we are making progress. Now I'm getting: "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out." I've worked through that before but don't remember the solution. Will have to wait until tomorrow to trouble shoot.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:14 am

Sounds good, so you only need to add the workgroup name to smb.conf or to the /etc/hosts file

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/how ... h-windows/

http://www.ubuntututorials.com/unable-m ... st-server/
..gnutella..

Neil Edmond
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by Neil Edmond » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks again! That did it. I already had smb.conf configured, but had to put the Windows server's IP address in /etc/hosts. I've never had to do that before with any other distro, not even other BBQ releases that feature a different DE, or others that have full XFCE. Curious whether there is something that usually automatically configures the hosts lists that has been removed from Absinthe to make it so lightweight/fast?

Edit for Update: After doing the above, I am now able to browse the directories on my Windows server, but cannot view the content of .txt .jpg .pdf (on any other type that I've tried) files that are in those directories. I've tried further edits in smb.conf to turn browsing on and editing of remote files. Also installed smb4k thinking that might help...but it didn't.

I've never had to deal with this kind of situation before, and am still wondering what is so different about Absinthe that makes it lack this ability.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:51 am

It sounds to me like an encoding problem, with UTF-8 filenames - but this is really the wildest guess of all, because I have not browsed shares for years.

And no, nothing is really different from other releases, except that GVFS is not added (KISS principle), and everything related to browsing network shares is related to GVFS in XFCE (in the past it was GIO). Maybe udisks2 needs to be configured now that it is in sync with systemd and gvfs? Damned, I can not even test it for fun because I have no Windows machines here.

MATE handles this stuff much better. You might really consider adding the windows shares into your fstab - they act like mounted drives then.

Hope the terminology above can help you to google the problem - except somebody chimes in and can give you a hint.

Edit: I think I remember the problem you stated about not being able to view or copy certain file types, posted by a member. IIRC it was a time-out problem there of the network, so not necessarily the same problem.

Edit 2: Here are two topics that might help: http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=1573#p1573 and http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=382
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 am

Neil, I see your are now online so I don't edit above post.

You might try with gigolo (or vinagre), if these apps make the impossible possible.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:36 am

I've had permission problems,you can browse but not write.
The wiki has a good walkthrough, believe me it isn't absinthe that makes it hard.
It is a good idea to mount them with cifs, then they are much more accessible.