Absinth

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
Neil Edmond
Oyster-Slurper

Re: Absinth

Unread post by Neil Edmond » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Running diff -J <etc.> gives error: invalid option -J
Doing it without the -J option just didn't do anything.
After a quick visual comparison of the two smb.conf files, the only diff I see is:

Code: Select all

<Solyanka> # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
#   wins support = no

<Absinthe> # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
   wins support = yes
I'm sure I have made no edits to either in any category other than [Global Settings], which look like this in both:

Code: Select all

# Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

Neil Edmond
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by Neil Edmond » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:38 pm

I have commented the wins supports line out on Absinthe to make it the same as Solyanka, and now I can open some of the files on the servers. A couple of them won't open, and on trying to unmount I get the error: "Failed to eject...One or more applications are keeping the volume busy." It's the two text files that failed to open. Guess they are stuck trying to open.

But I think you have lead me to the solution, pidsley. Thank You!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Sorry, should have been "diff -y" (lower-case "y" for side-by-side).

At this point you have reached the end of my extremely limited knowledge of samba. You could try rebooting to clear the open volumes and try again, but that's all I can think of.