Quick question about the snapshot tool

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
ew.linux
Riesenpenis

Quick question about the snapshot tool

Unread post by ew.linux » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:44 am

6) Close all other active applications.
Clean up your system with bleachbit (and carefully with bleachbit as root)
Just to make sure. Closing all other active applications, does that include absolutely everything, like tray apps like volume-icon etc..., and running instances of conky..., or just real apps like thunar, chromium, terminal etc...
-ew
-------------------------------
...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it. (by Linus)

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Quick question about the snapshot tool

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:47 am

Not necessarily. I generally run the bbqsnapshot tool in tty inside of a tmux session, so I can continue surfing :D But you can of course keep everything running in X and even surf while you are snapshooting. You will just notice lag because rsync takes quite a lot of CPU. And by using a browser, for example, you feed the ~/.cache of the browser with stuff that needs to be removed later, so it takes up more space to make the temporary copy and you have more work cleaning up.

In a nutshell: it is just a recommendation to close GUI applications, but don't worry about panels/etc, and even don't worry if you keep the GUIs open.
..gnutella..

ew.linux
Riesenpenis

Unread post by ew.linux » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 am

machinebacon wrote:Not necessarily. I generally run the bbqsnapshot tool in tty inside of a tmux session, so I can continue surfing :D But you can of course keep everything running in X and even surf while you are snapshooting. You will just notice lag because rsync takes quite a lot of CPU. And by using a browser, for example, you feed the ~/.cache of the browser with stuff that needs to be removed later, so it takes up more space to make the temporary copy and you have more work cleaning up.

In a nutshell: it is just a recommendation to close GUI applications, but don't worry about panels/etc, and even don't worry if you keep the GUIs open.
Ok, thanks:)
-ew
...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it. (by Linus)

ew.linux
Riesenpenis

Unread post by ew.linux » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:09 pm

A couple more questions.

I tried the snapshot-tool, and I was able to create a distro and "dd" it to a usb-stick, but when I try to boot from it I get a error message: "No Default or UI configured" or something like that, and a "boot" prompt... Where have I got it wrong?

Another question, what are the difference between the bbqtools package and the bbqtools-basic package? In other words, what is required for the snapshot to work, and what could I remove of the linuxbbq-tools and cli-apps...
-ew

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Possibly the live-initramfs was not created. It happens again an again after dist-upgrades, so always run:
sudo apt-get install--reinstall live-boot live-boot-initramfs
(sometimes dist-upgrade warns you that the initramfs has no live support, in this case you need to do this extra step)
Also make sure the syslinux package is installed (I even suppose the error comes from there) and up to date. Check that the /home/work/myfs folder includes a /live folder with the isolinux stuff inside. To save time, you can temporarily edit /etc/bbqsnapshot.conf the line

Code: Select all

save work="yes"
In this case you would only create the squashfs and not rsync the system again and again just for fixing something related to isolinux/syslinux.
Then run bbqsnapshot again, and in the part where you can edit the 4-5-6 files, simply Ctrl-x out from them without making changes. Then go into creation of the ISO imge. If this thing boots up right, you can run bbqsnapshot again and unbloat the things like the .cache files and stuff.

About the linuxbbq(-tools) packages don't worry. Everything is there on the BBQ base systems, you can dive into roasting without the need for BBQ packages from outside.

Finally, make sure that your USB stick is formatted right or have a try with unetbootin. I heard it does work for BBQ.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Short question: 64bit? If yes, 'unhold' the syslinux package.
There was a huge problem with syslinux and live-boot a few weeks ago, the syslinux package and the live-config-sysvinit packages are on hold and need to be release (set to install with

echo "package_name install"|dpkg --set-selecions'
package names are:
syslinux
live-config
live-config-sysvinit

do this as root, update and dist-upgrade again.
..gnutella..

ew.linux
Riesenpenis

Unread post by ew.linux » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:06 pm

machinebacon wrote:Short question: 64bit? If yes, 'unhold' the syslinux package.
There was a huge problem with syslinux and live-boot a few weeks ago, the syslinux package and the live-config-sysvinit packages are on hold and need to be release (set to install with

echo "package_name install"|dpkg --set-selecions'
package names are:
syslinux
live-config
live-config-sysvinit

do this as root, update and dist-upgrade again.
Yes, the release I used to test the snapshot-tool with is Absinthe_64bit.. The actual release that I will do it from is bass64, but so far I`m only trying to get familiar with the roast-process..., and when I feel comfortable with that, then I will start to build on bass64, and roast it.

The things I`m a bit unsure about is the configuration options that present themselves during the roast. Whether I should keep the linuxbbq names and versions etc, or make my own names and versions, or just change the part after linuxbbq_xxxx, and if I should use bbq as login and passwd for the live session, or if I also should change that... Small things like this that I will have to test and see what gives me the outcome that I want:)

As for the bbq-tools, that was mostly for roasting a iso out of something outside bbq. If I want to make a funny version of Ubuntu or Crunchbang for that matter:)
-ew

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:56 pm

YO, wassup with the double quote post?

btw, needed a 't';
echo "package_name install"|dpkg --set-selections'
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

fixed the double quote post :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Great - so now it's just me Spamming this thread then. Shit.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:22 am

ew, the scripts will not work in Ubuntu, as it uses casper for the live ISO. in this case, go to my github and grab yourself the sys2iso scripts.

so, the boot error you have is 100% related to syslinux, and that they are set on hold. please release them, upd/dist-upg and go for roast.

the configurations that show up during bbqsnapshot are:
/etc/motd - this shows a welcome message after boot
/etc/os-release - freedesktop-style naming that is used to identify the version
/etc/lsb-release - used by some distros for the same reason
/usr/lib/live-instaler/ - labels for the GUI installer
/etc/network/interfaces - for the network, remove everything there except of the loopback entries
syslinux menu - the boot menu for the stick/CD (twice, once for the actual boot screen, once for the boot screen the user gets if he makes a roast and boots into his created stick)

the live user name you set depending on how your actual username is. so if you want 'live' then create a user as 'live' and change to it, then deluser bbq (for example) and put stuff that a newly created user gets into /etc/skel. also edit the /etc/group /etc/passwd accordingly if deluser didn't wipe the entries there.

one more thing: if it fails again with 64 bit, get yourself tiny or the new framebuffer release and do it for 32bit. i'll update 64bit bass by the end of next week.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:35 am

Yes, the release I used to test the snapshot-tool with is Absinthe_64bit..
absinthe isn't 64 bit, is it?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:37 am

he plans to do an absinthe on 64. though it is already fucked up because lightdm shall not be in absinthe (only in cocktails that are green colored) :D

but seriously, ew, absinth is not base + xfce4, it is base + xfdesktop + xfpanel + xfwm4. just for your info :D
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 am

This just saved my bacon. wondered why it wasn't booting right... reinstall live-boot and live-boot-initramfs-tools,
job done.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:28 am

^ right, some kernel updates don't rebuild the initramfs, so the reinstall takes care of it.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 am

Ace tool.
finally getting around to making a rootkit checker for work.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:45 am

Just found this by accident and thought: Hmmm, how rude. Just a "thanks" and no reaction after serving the solutions. Asshole, IMO.
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:48 am

A few more reactions from him and he'd end up rotten meat. ;)
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:51 am

Big master of Ubuntu respins asked:

"How to make Openbox use my Norwegian keyboard layout?! It used to work on #! but it doesn't with LinuxBBQ!!!1"

Told him to use setxkbmap, but even then he fucked it up. A pity that the previous forums are gone with the wind...
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:29 pm

gotta love the guy.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.