Coal: X crashes after DU

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
pottzie
Cam Whore

Re: Coal: X crashes after DU

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:59 pm

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf, in the Section "Device", change the driver to "openchrome".

Now if there was an example of how to do that in what is now a blank file, i'd do that. I haven't had much luck with just making up code.

DRIVER=OPENCHROME, maybe?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:20 pm

*ahem*
I already gave you the link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Via
It's also the second result googling 'x11 openchrome'

don't want to get all ancient Grecian, but my great aunty Enid used to say 'the lord helps those who helps themselves'
sidebar;
She said this whilst presenting me with a table covered in chocolate bars and sweeties, that's why I remember it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helps_ ... themselves
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

pottzie
Cam Whore

Unread post by pottzie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Crap. I did Google, but got a "Page not found" and thought Google drew a blank. Probably just my ISP doing it's usual outstanding job. And I was just going by Freedesktops' guide.

So OK, I've now got /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "My Device Name"
Driver "openchrome"
EndSection

I thought when I saw "My Device Name" that I need to ad something there, and rebooting proved I was right. Also, Arch says to "first create a new file 10-openchrome.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/"

I just put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf like Freedesktop says. Confused about 'putting a (new) file' into what starts out as an already blank file.