Suggesting another extreme lightweight with e17!

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
slixz85
Horny teen

Suggesting another extreme lightweight with e17!

Unread post by slixz85 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi. I have been using the linuxbbq xfce rc2 and I am lovin it! I like the idea you have of being tired of distro hopping, cause this is my problem I like watching distrowatch way too much lol. I have used Bodhi since it has almost came out so for a good bit now to my standards lol. Well I just came across the bbq site and was like wow. 400mb .iso's that even include my wifi drivers that was awesome. my only problem is I really like enlightenment and it is catching on lately. on the 21st of this month they come out with their new update finally. I am just simply suggesting if you could create another extremely lightweight stripped down version with some eye candy of enlightenment because I am not that experienced with changing the system around yet and when I wanted to try and install e17 and remove xfce4, it wanted to remove nearly all programs even the network-manager and such. this would be a real problem for me cause I am ONLY able to connect by wifi. it is not possible for me to plug in an ethernet cord. Plus by seein another version and option for everyone you are pulling more and more people in. Again, very nice distro(s) I believe you are onto something good cause the NEW is finding the lightweight systems to install what we want as intermediate (semi-myself) users of linux. Thanks please inform us.

also not sure if bug or something but on the rc2 that i use. whenever i unmount a drive through thunar (prob if i did in terminal as well i guess) that banner deal at the top of the screen never goes away for me and it kinda doesn't overlay correctly.

Thanks again.
DECIDE wut it is you really want 2 do in the World, the 1 thing that'll (150 years from now) cause 'em to exclaim,
"He did something AMAZING." And then grab some Beer and go watch ESPN. That's enough self-delusional B***S*** for 1 day."

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Suggesting another extreme lightweight with e17!

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:01 am

Welcome to the BBQ. About your suggestion, I will let talk the Grillmeister himself. Though we have a WM spin, e17 is there too, it is called Oyster. Not sure now about the version. Though it is more to test out all the WMs available in Debian.
But, if you want, you can take one of the base BBQ spins like Saltimbocca and roast your own with e17 on top.

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:56 am

appreciate quick reply. yeah i seen the oyster one but seen it came with 35 window managers and two desktop environments I would just be uninstallin alot since that would be bloat to me. but so far you guys kick ass with what your doin. just noticed like i said above that if i did get oyster I could have a dependency issue(s) uninstallin all of that stuff that comes with it like the xfce rc2 I have now on only a wifi connection. it would make me be stuck with no internet connection takin away all the programs associated with it. I am not sure how to get around that. and thanks for referrin this to Grillmeister
DECIDE wut it is you really want 2 do in the World, the 1 thing that'll (150 years from now) cause 'em to exclaim,
"He did something AMAZING." And then grab some Beer and go watch ESPN. That's enough self-delusional B***S*** for 1 day."

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 am

Hello new Grillmeister Slixz85 and thank you for choosing the grill!

My suggestion is to keep XFCE in place and add e17 on top of it. You would then have the choice to start e17 or XFCE by choosing the session in the LightDM login manager. If you need further support with this, just let us know. Of course it is possible that connman (the connection manager of e17) conflicts with network-manager, and latter is removed automatically. I am not very familiar with e17, so I am not sure about the (wireless) functionality connman has. We also ship "ceni" as network managing application, so if you don't use VPN/PPTP you can actually switch to let ceni or connman manage the network. Ceni needs to be activated to be the default, open a terminal, resize it to make it a bit bigger, then enter: sudo ceni and de-activate network-manager in the screen, then set up the card (if detected correctly)

The banner thing is called "dunst" and replaces the notification bubbles that others find quite annoying. There is apparently a new version of it in experimental, jumping from version 0.2 to 0.4, so it seems things are fixed in the newer version. We just have to wait (or be brave and catch the package from experiental)

If you want to have the traditional notification bubbles you can apt-get autoremove dunst. xfce4-notifyd should default then. Again, if you need help, let us know.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 am

By the way, I'll make a custom one-off e17-only spin in the next 5 days, but for i686 only. Hope it fits the bill then.
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 am

that would be awesome. yeah i use i686 and can wait. just in case you didn't know I would wait until the 21st of this month on friday when e17 releases their main crucial update. (sure you are prob aware though) thanks for helpin me find another good lightweight leave it to the user distro. also you should let ubuntuforums know about this distro as well. people like chattin about this stuff there. im pretty active helpin people myself there just never got into managing and creating distros myself. ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:56 am

That's why there's a BBQ ;) We're not married with a certain WM (only married to Debian Sid, to avoid confusion) and just want to demonstrate that (certain) distros don't need to be overrated. All that the user needs is provided by the big releases (from Arch over Debian, Fedora, Suse to Slackware), they offer a base and the user should be brave enough to start from scratch, without downloading the distro defaults every time he just wants to take a quick look. So, base releases at the BBQ will always be around 400-500 MB, depending on the desktop of course, and every now and then there are specialized releases for those who want a "full-featured" desktop without much tinkering.

Not sure if I want to promote the site to 'the big audience' :) I prefer 100 dedicated users to 10'000 principally unsatisfied users :)
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 am

your definitely right there man. i do understand how the BIG audience will bring in nosy/retarded people lol. the wifi drivers though is what is makin me turn to your distro now AND being so tiny in size comparison to others. big and bloated is more reponse time most of the time. its sorry that soon everything in general will be 1.5-2.0gb DAMN

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:24 am

Yes, there's a tendency. I suppose most of it comes from the way these distros are built (Remastersys, Ubuntu Construction Kit, Debian Live) - often the developers blame gtk3 and the increasing numbers of libraries, but I think they're barking up the wrong tree. Personally, I think it is not really necessary to put GIMP or LibreOffice into every spin. It's also quite unfair that other products like AbiWord or Midori don't get the attention they would need to further improve the stability of their applications. Instead, users take the big browsers or office suites that are anyway sponsored and well-developed by huge teams most of the time. One could, of course, argue that Midori is unstable and shouldn't be a default app. On the other hand, if nobody uses it, it will take years to make it a serious competitor to the big browsers.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am

^ That.
and slixz85, welcome to the BBQ :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:42 pm

right on. i like this small community mindset anyway. ya all got with me quick. expect more i am basically moving from using ubuntu for 6 or 7 years to using debian only now (of course i know kinda same and all). have a good one guys and continue to screw linux's brains out LMAO

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 pm

you survived buntu you'll survive bbq, too
;-)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 am

It should happen today. TBH I'm quite excited to see the new release and will quite definitely give it a spin this weekend.

http://download.enlightenment.org/releases/?C=M;O=D

Just a matter of hours, I guess.
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 am

yeah that would be awesome man appreciate how you handle business :) unfortunately might not have enough time http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/maya LOL (remember the y2k bug (boy that was awful so many people bought so much water and food supplies and oh the computers handled rolling over one more digit just fine)) LMAO. that is what happens though in this world of seeing it to believe it.

but for real I will be watching and downloading it soon after you post it this weekend or after whenever you get to it. enlightenment really is catchin on just because it delivers so much eye candy with so little resource consumption. Have a good one man

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 am

Ha,maybe the Mayans used UNIX epoch time, so we gotta wait another two thousand years.
Yes, let's see how it behaves with Sid. If things work well 'out of the box' there's no reason not to make a light base version. Will keep it close to default, though :)

Have a good weekend!
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 am

YES the Mayans were wrong for sure. (wiping sweat from forehead)(they are only half geniuses and half retarded) lol i just looked at the screenshot from http://linuxbbq.org/editions3.html it does look decent. and yes the release finally hit a few hours ago. Omega is gone now it is Zero the Final. Woot Woot alot of bugs fixed (sorry big e17 fan) lol. Whatever configuration you setup for the new Zero will be good as it can be changed anyway and I do like the dark looks anyway that e17 gives off. the black and gray doesn't look bad at all. after you setup the release this weekend man just add a killer background and just an idea install a program or module that looks good to show memory output on desktop. most of us like this type of deal since we want small memory footprints on these small systems anyway. but hey just suggestions i don't know everybody. this will be my main work os. awesome

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:18 am

also i wish i could try that cinnamon that comes out in january for another partition but damn it sucks that my video card has to conflict with cinnamon right out of the box. tried cinnamon with few different os's on my 6100 video card. not good at all.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:41 am

Agree, cinammon in Debian (and maybe even in Mint) is like walking through knee-deep mud. Extremely laggy, especially their panel/menu.

For what it's not worth, the e17 has to wait a little bit - I'm really busy with a lot of stuff recently, don't forget it's xmas in 2 days (gah!) but I'll be kicking the e17 up the server soon. Or ASAP.

Cheers
..gnutella..

slixz85
Horny teen

Unread post by slixz85 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:22 am

well you just take your time man your gonna fry your brain if not lol (like the commercial if you seen the cracked egg in a pan one (this is your brain (full egg)...this is your brain on drugs (cracked and egg falls into fryin' skillet lol)) (side not i got lucky lol mine just got a bit percentage lol) it is obvious how much time you really take with the website(s) and releases themselves especially my guesstimate is you work like on 5-10 at a time lol. crazy man. even if you focus on one at a time to make sure you dont have to do extra rc's you would be puttin others in the dust and to shame who come out with 1 every 6 months usually at the best and your end reason would be even better (don't take wrong way definitely good for roastin now (just a bit better you know))