Audio Production Kernel

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
foxanthony
Troll

Audio Production Kernel

Unread post by foxanthony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 am

Do I need to build my own kernel for audio production?

Debian has a preempt-rt patched kernel in the repos, but it doesn't have CONFIG_HZ set to 1000, and tickless timer support (CONFIG_NO_HZ)

The folks at linuxmusicians.com, who you would think would know, aren't sure whether the last two items are necessary anymore.

Is there anyone here that knows anything about this?

Thanks. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Audio Production Kernel

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 am

Hi,

from what I know, a 'simple' rt kernel does the job well - there was a discussion on about whether the refinements are needed, and it seems that there are other factors that are more important to guarantee a low latency. Please see the info here, at the bottom: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rocks!

So, IMO, these 'two things' are not really making a difference if you create an environment that has no unnecessary service running, like network and USB devices that create jitter.

Apart from that, have a look at Rocks! which is specially designed for music production and can run from a stick for test :)
..gnutella..

foxanthony
Troll

Unread post by foxanthony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:42 am

I gave your information and linked here to linuxmusicians, hopefully it will save some people frustrations in the future.

I was using BBQ for a bit last month but the Liquorix kernel in the Arch User Repo lured me away. I didn't know there was a preempt patched kernel in the Debian repo or I wouldn't have left. Arch ain't what it used to be, especially the forums, so now I'm on SolydK. I'm sure I'll get the bleeding edge bug again one of these days, and I'll return to the BBQ.

Thanks!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 am

If it is just the liquorix kernel - newer releases at the BBQ have them available, so that shouldn't be a problem ;)

Thanks for the feedback, enjoy the tuna :)
..gnutella..

foxanthony
Troll

Unread post by foxanthony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:11 pm

machinebacon wrote:If it is just the liquorix kernel - newer releases at the BBQ have them available, so that shouldn't be a problem ;)
Would that be here?
deb http://linuxbbq.org/repos/apt/debian sid main

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Anthony,

nearly :)
# /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

All packages in the liquorix repository are signed. Run the command below to install all the keyring packages for liquorix.net.

sudo apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?'
copied from http://liquorix.net/
..gnutella..

foxanthony
Troll

Unread post by foxanthony » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Ah, of course.

Thank you very much!