MD5 not computing

Forum rules
We don't support installations in VirtualBox, VMWare, qemu or others. We ignore posts about WINE, PlayOnLinux, Steam and Skype. We don't support btrfs, lvm, UEFI, side-by-side installations with GPT or dualboot with anything newer than Windows XP.
Google your problem first. Check the Wiki. Read the existing threads. It's okay to "hijack" an existing thread, yes! If your problem is not yet covered, open a new thread. To get the quickest possible help, mention the exact release codename in your post (uname -a is a good idea, too). Due to the lack of crystal balls, attach the output of lspci -nnk if you encounter hardware problems.
tstamp
Saltimbocca-Roller

MD5 not computing

Unread post by tstamp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 am

So I downloaded Escargot 64 this afternoon and tried to run MD5 on it. Came back different, so then I tried SHA1, same thing. I have never failed to get the right numbers on any distro, so I though I'd come here and ask if they are good, or what the deal is? Thank you for providing this distro and thank you for the humor.

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: MD5 not computing

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

hi tstamp, please read here about that MD5-issue (it is my fault): http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=698#p698
and welcome to the BBQ!
the distro was provided with love and the humor comes natural ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Hello tstamp and welcome to the Barbie!

Generally, don't worry too much about the md5 checksums. If you use USB, simply dd the file (provided the file size on disk corresponds with the file size on the server) - in 95% of the cases everything is okay. I recommend using wget -c http://linuxbbq.org/releases/YOUR_WM/filename.iso to fetch the file in terminal.

For an untouched folder view see http://www.linuxbbq.org/releases/

Happy roasting and season bravely :D
..gnutella..

tstamp
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by tstamp » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 am

The first download didn't match that md5 either, so I tried a second download just now using the wget command and it went through with no problems.
That is the first time I have had an md5 fail on me. In any case, I look forward to playing with the system this weekend. Should be a lot of fun.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 pm

let us know how you like it tstamp!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.