Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:21 pm

http://practicaltypography.com/

This one is ruining my life.

pidsley
Hermit

Re: e-BOOK!

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:57 pm

There are many good tips in that book. I especially like these:
The ex­cla­ma­tion point is overused. Give your­self a bud­get of one ex­cla­ma­tion point for any doc­u­ment longer than three pages. If you must use it, use it wisely.
Never use more than one ex­cla­ma­tion point in a row, un­less you’re a teenager send­ing a text mes­sage. Srsly.
http://practicaltypography.com/question ... oints.html

And this one: http://practicaltypography.com/goofy-fonts.html

"No, no, no, no, and hell no."
Nov­elty fonts, script fonts, hand­writ­ing fonts, cir­cus fonts—these have no place in any doc­u­ment cre­ated by a pro­fes­sional writer. Save them for your next ca­reer as a de­signer of break­fast-ce­real boxes.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 pm

^ Oh yes.
But I've been working again on my website because of that book, so I hate that guy! ;)

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm

This looks like it will be a valuable (and much needed resource.) Thanks for sharing Gekko, and for elaborating pids... I know a few grad students who could also use it, sadly.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 am

Good call-outs, pidsley. Also, no Comic Sans, no Papyrus.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:25 am

I hope toi/figlet ascii fonts aren't included in the 'novelty fonts' damnation.. :)
You may be dissapointed in france, the people who invented art deco etc (or at least gave them the name) seems any public signs/typography when/where i was - seemed to be MS word templates, you can almost date the design by the newer templates from MS word.. shocking.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:38 pm

I've got 4 ebooks (PDF and mobi) about TCM:

Foundations Of TCM - Michael Ching, Kwei Kang
Principles of Chinese Medicine - Angela Hicks
The Complete Book of Chinese Medicine - Kit, Wong Kiew
The Guide Book of TCM - Youngjong Sihn

If anyone is interested, PM me (tell me the format).
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:16 pm

I found this Russian site, with loads of downloadable ebooks, in various formats ePub, PDF etc etc.
And the topic is Bash scripting, from rooky to advanced. Some of them you might know about, as this is the BBQ after all ;)
http://en.bookfi.org/g/bash%20script

cheers
simon

Ps: Happy reading!
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:50 pm

Thanks for the source.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:41 pm

for those who might want to read more about Chaos Magick.
1. Jan Fries - Visual Magick: http://e-x-a.org/stuff/books/jan-fries- ... magick.pdf
2. Peter J. Carroll - Liber Null & Psychonaut: https://zalbarath666.files.wordpress.co ... honaut.pdf
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:38 pm

I'll put it here.

Since I just can't buy every IT book I need in its real paper form, I am considering an e-book reader, but I know nothing at all when it comes to e-book readers.

I know, I know, I'm not the touch-screen guy, but money is not on my side and those damn books cost way too much. At the same time, reading PDFs on my lappy is not the best solution for my eyes. I have been doing it for the last 15 years, now I'm getting old and eyes are not that good anymore.

I'm willing to pay up to € 100,00 for this device, more would not be easy. Also, if I have to zoom in/out and scroll left/right too much to read a PDF I won't consider the reader at all.

Any suggestion?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:05 pm

^ I can only say that the Kindle is super-nice to read (I don't own one, but my mother has a few of them). I don't quite remember how well it renders graphics, but for text it's really very smooth. I think it was the Paperlight I tried, but it might also be the previous version.
Been thinking about buying some Ebook reader, too, but unfortunately (lol) I already have two Galaxy Tabs which I use nearly exclusively for reading Ebooks. I recommend Ebookdroid as reader software: it has a nice 'night mode', a 'negative mode', automatic crop, different scrolling options for turning the page, force landscape or portrait, and several different fonts to choose from. And best of all, it reads PDF, mobi and Epub (probaby djvu too). It's not open-source anymore, but it's for free, and I love it.
So if you have some kind of Android tablet at hand, have a try with Ebookdroid first. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=de
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:32 pm

^ Thanks. A Kindle is the first one I thought of, too. Does it manage huge PDFs (~ 30/40MB) smoothly or I will need to insanely scroll and zoom?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Damned, I just remember that Kindles don't support PDFs by default, only mobi (IIRC! not sure how newer Kindles handle PDFs). Those days, when I used a Kindle, it was *not* my own PDF I was reading, this I remember for sure!
You would probably have to batch-convert all PDFs with Calibre or some other pdf2mobi tool. There are some Kindles here in China that are not sold in Europe (but in the USA? you know how Europe is with DRM, and especially Amazon!) and they support all the aforementioned formats, because the Chinese prefer djvu for ebooks, and they also have a text2speech built in.
Of course if you buy stuff from Amazon, a Kindle is a good choice, but if you already have a bunch of PDFs, it's not an option. As said before, an Ebook reader can somehow handle PDFs (by disassembling them and reorganizing the elements) better than a Kindle.
I'd recommend asking a friend or somebody if you can install ebookdroid on somebody's tablet (a 7-inch one should be large enough for relaxed reading, 10 inch would be really great IMO), and then scan in some PDFs for a test. These 7 or 10 inch tablets are not expensive, especially if you get some no-name shit, maybe even 2nd hand, then turn off the wifi and keep the fucker plugged in when you don't use it.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:02 pm

This: http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00JG8GBDM/
It says it supports: (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, MOBI non protetto, PRC nativo; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP con conversione.
I'll have a look at ebookdroid, but I need sister's tablet for that. :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:04 pm

fwiw, i find on my GFs Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 or so, the Kindle app to be quite shitty. not sure about the actual device.
as for ebook apps, i like Moon+Reader, but am currently using Pocketbook, which is nice as well.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:37 am

@manu, I think the problem lies in the PDF per se: if the PDF has margins, you will need to zoom in and out on the Kindle. And that's quite unkind-le :D
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:51 am

^ Damn! Ok, I'll try some of these things before buying.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:01 am

^ that's what a good ebook reader software does for you: remove the margins. Maybe Calibre can do the same (haven't used it in years) and export to mobi or epub, if you ever decide to get a Kindle. You are anyway half-way GNOME3, so you can have a try it for kicks :D
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:08 am

^ Oh, didn't know about Calibre. Thanks.