Maths.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
rhowaldt
Dog

Maths.

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Maths. i know you Americans shooed away the humble 's', but since i am trying to learn better English, we do it properly.

okay, so with that out of the way: i don't know much about maths, just that it is pretty cool and confusing and occult while still being scientific, which i fucking love. seeing how i do not understand much of it, i tend to run with the simpler applications of it. one example is the Fibonacci-sequence, which i use whenever i can, for example when crocheting (and during sex, but that is for another time).

now, seeing how we are all a bunch of guys and gals who some would call 'nerds', i think i can safely assume there are at least one or two of you here who actually understand a bunch of maths, or at least more than i do. so i figured it might be nice and interesting and fun to have a thread about maths.

how do i envision this thread? any fucking way you want.
but i'll start with two nice things for people such as myself, who have to continuously try and grasp the mysteries of maths, while never fully understanding it. (then again, i have made a pretty good point some other time about how nobody is ever going to be able to fully understand anything, but, well, you know what i mean.)

first off, the magnificent Dragon Curve, explained in a Numberphile video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCyC-K_PnRY

for those of you who like their information dry and Wikipedian: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_curve
for more of the awesome Numberphile, go: http://www.numberphile.com/

second, a continuation of the Dragon Curve but now going into fractals, in a video by the fantastic Vi Hart. this one is substantially more difficult to follow, not just because she speaks so fast, but also because the maths can just get a bit complex at times (for me, at least). however, as i said somewhere before, if you only understand half of something, keep going. you will pick up enough interesting shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdyociU35u8

wanna get more doodling & maths? check out Vi Hart's YouTube channel, or do a search for Doodling in Math Class (without the 's', this time).

now, let's talk Maths!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rust collector
Motörhead

Re: Maths.

Unread post by rust collector » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Haha, that was pretty cool, in its own way.
I just have half a brain, which is unable to process math, so I don't have much to say.

I just had to say it was cool,and remember that in English "I"as in "me" (in this case you) is capitalized

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:46 pm

i especially love the fact that the Dragon Scales are unpredictable at first, but then become a complex pattern. and from Vi Hart's video, the fact that they defy the dimensions by hovering in between them.

btw, just remembered: if you like playful and simple yet intruiging maths, check out the book Flatland.

btw2, @rusty: the non-capitalization is by choice :) - i get to choose because i call myself a poet, and they can disregard language-rules for the sake of Art :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 pm

I sucked so hard in maths with or without s that I won't be able to contribute anything interesting here. :) But let's see, maybe Rho will change that.

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:58 pm

I was a math whiz. Somebody had to say it.

Tim

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I asked to be dropped out of the top set in Maths, because I wanted an easy ride, still got a good mark.
10 years of smoking illicit substance finished that off.

I'm pretty confident about teaching my children maths. until 'A' level (16/17)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 pm

http://www.numberphile.com/index.html
^Is a great site.
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:54 pm

My kids have already surpassed my math skills, so I am no longer any use to them as far as helping with math homework goes.

I do, however, think Dr. Fiorella Terenzi is hot. I think she has a big brain for the maths. Probably more than Sheldon Cooper, even. :D

http://www.fiorella.com/

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:49 pm

^ Bones, I here echoes of "Dammit Jim, I'm a Dr., not a Mathematician" ;)
-Hinto

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:01 am

^ Hahaha, yes!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:59 am

I'm with ivan and bones here, if it is Maths I leave it to the others. rhosey mentioned the fibonacci sequence, which is actually used in the bpswm window manager. So rho, you might change to a real WM now :)
Apart from that, this is my last post here :D
..gnutella..

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:01 am

bye, we will miss you!

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:09 am

If anyone wants to know anything about math, I am actually currently in Calculus 3 and I will answer any questions to the best of my knowledge. I am obviously no mathematician, but my degree requires knowing a lot of math so I like to say I have been taught more than average :)
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:10 pm

machinebacon wrote:...which is actually used in the bpswm window manager. So rho, you might change to a real WM now :)
And there is a patch for dwm, Fibonacci layout.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Practical Math:
Fractal antenna
-Hinto

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:41 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
machinebacon wrote:...which is actually used in the bpswm window manager. So rho, you might change to a real WM now :)
And there is a patch for dwm, Fibonacci layout.
Monsterwm has a similar patch. The windows get smaller and smaller until they are useless.

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:32 am

I've been watching a bunch of the numberphile videos. The vids about deciphering the Enigma machine are great. I've got a huge interest in cryptography and other mathematics.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 am

^ and don't forget Freakonomics
I love this stuff... A BS in Math, Software Developer, and an MBA (I had to learn how to talk)
I work for a company whose bread and butter is math.
-Hinto

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:43 pm

epic thread revival!

my girl and i are doing geometric patterns on canvas, and via that route i predictably ended up reading about Sacred Geometry. that led to Qaballa where i encountered uncle Crowley, and al of a sudden i'm trying to grasp the fourth dimension. watched a bunch of videos, and everybody who has even the slightest interest in maths, or even those who dont, should read Flatland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland) - and then came across this thing, a 3d rotatable tesseract, aka hypercube, aka 4th dimensional cube. it is amazing. go play with it and try and wrap your head around it. no calculations involved! just watch and interact and wreck your brain ;) - http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/2798981/

on a slightly related note, Metatron's Cube is pretty cool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatron%27s_Cube

see you on the other side! :D