When a bad Friday turns out to be Wednesday.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
ninjalulz
Window Manager

When a bad Friday turns out to be Wednesday.

Unread post by ninjalulz » Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 pm

On the way home from work yesterday, wife got off just me so we driving together. Just about a mile and a half from home, a girl pulls out from a driveway on the right side of me and into my passenger side door. Here's a link to an album. http://imgur.com/a/y0l4l

dkeg
Configurator

Re: When a bad Friday turns out to be Wednesday.

Unread post by dkeg » Fri May 09, 2014 12:38 am

Fuck man, how fast was ske going to flip you around like that? You and the lady come out okay?

Work hard; Complain less

ninjalulz
Window Manager

Unread post by ninjalulz » Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 am

My wife was following me in her car.
I was going 40-45mph, the girl that hit me, I'm assuming thought she had a good enough window to make it and just nailed her gas pedal since she was only leaving a parking lot.

chilli
Compiler

Unread post by chilli » Fri May 09, 2014 4:31 am

Oh my god. It's good your wife was in another car. I'm glad no one died.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri May 09, 2014 9:02 am

That looks really really nasty. Hope you are ok! Thanks for sharing it with us.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri May 09, 2014 9:30 pm

That is some serious stuff. I am also glad, no one died. Fuck, that is why I hate car driving.

ninjalulz
Window Manager

Unread post by ninjalulz » Sat May 10, 2014 4:40 am

Car driving isn't bad. I'm normally really good about being on the defensive, swerved to miss her, laid on the horn and everything, she just continued anyway. Had I not swerved, it probably would have resulted in me smashing in the driver's side of her car and likely very seriously injuring or killing her.
Girl was a bitch anyway, seemingly stuck up and thinking this was my fault regardless of her getting the ticket and the police report pointing all fingers at her.
>>>
I did buy a brand new car today though, pics of that sexy new Fit to come tomorrow :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 10, 2014 8:10 am

wow, thats mad.
Glad no-one died.
Seem to be an inverse reaction with car smashes, the more it's one's fault the more defensive and stuck up one gets.
The only smash I've had - I drove away from.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ninjalulz
Window Manager

Unread post by ninjalulz » Sun May 11, 2014 12:13 am

Here she is, freshly washed and dried. Was getting 35+mpg earlier today on the interstate.

chilli
Compiler

Unread post by chilli » Sun May 11, 2014 3:46 am

The new car looks nice ninjalulz!
wuxmedia wrote:wow, thats mad.
Glad no-one died.
Seem to be an inverse reaction with car smashes, the more it's one's fault the more defensive and stuck up one gets.
The only smash I've had - I drove away from.
Our 2000 Corolla has been stolen and raced (and some weird mods so it's not quite right anymore and rattles a lot), T-boned and the replacement pick-n-pull door is red (the car is blue, but my husband is leaving it as-is so it's easier to find in parking lots), and run over the hood by a newly licensed driver in a high off the ground suv who decided to back up at a stop sign without checking (the hood was pounded back out but a lot of the front end looks trashed and the windshield is still cracked). The driver had borrowed the suv without asking her dad if I remember right so that was fun to sort out. She kept insisting it wasn't her fault. Her dad made her come over to our house later and personally apologize.

It's the saddest looking thing now.

In the '90's (we had a different car, VW Fox) someone who'd just gotten a new license gave us *barely* a "love tap" at an intersection turn lane (I saw him approching from the rearview and had time to switch to neutral with some coasting room since I couldn't take the full right turn at that moment). We both pulled over (since he was honking after) and a lot of it was reasuring him it was okay (he was really freaked out, it was his first week out by himself). And there was nothing wrong with us or our cars but he wanted to give us money anyway and we just told him to get in the habit of slowing down earlier in the approach to the intersection (and maybe some other driving tips for the area, we were talking for a while and he had questions). I think we ended up hugging at the end.

ninjalulz
Window Manager

Unread post by ninjalulz » Sun May 11, 2014 12:19 pm

That corolla sounds like it's had quite the interesting life, should put up some pics to match it's battle stories, and good of the dad to make her come back and apologize.
Well done on you for helping out the new driver, seems like something a lot of people would not do, especially nowadays.

chilli
Compiler

Unread post by chilli » Mon May 12, 2014 5:37 am

Yeah, it was kind of weird when they showed up, then kind of funny.

And thanks! The guy who barely bumped us was so worried!

I should take pics of the Corolla. I didn't mention the interior when it came back from being stolen for a week or so. The ink marks have long since worn off but it was headed for a chop shop and the Heat/AC/casette player area had been opened at some point (it really rattles since then).

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 12, 2014 7:47 am

@Ninja - Oh I figured out why you flipped over, as you were swerving the weight was on your side and her car (the white one?) acted as a wedge and chipped you over?
yay, 'merican drivers getting excited about MPGs!! I was going to say 35MPG was what my old mk2 Jetta got, but seems US gallons aren't the same as UK ones 8)

@Chilli - Wait a VW Fox - isn't that a Mk1 Jetta, basically?
and I love cars with stories, and car stories 8)
OK chilli - car stories ago-go:

the only smash I drove away from; I was working on a national french holiday, So no respectable French person would be on the roads, I rolled to work in my Jetta - pumping some dub IIRC, then an English roofing truck came along, now the smaller roads in our old area of France all have big ditches at the side. This road they had started to make it wider by covering the ditches, putting pipes in.
Also we're at opposite side to each other, both driving on the 'wrong' side of the road for our cars!
They didn't do one side at a time, but made a chicane effect. Obviously we met at one of these points, I though we were going to pass side by side. But no, his wheelstuds smashed into my front wheel.
My wing mirror was not even pushed back which shows how weird much the wheels stuck out.
anyway we both ground to a halt, and got out, his trucks wheel had smashed off and dragged him to the other side of the road. He was shouting at me like he was going to kill me, but he calmed down a bit.
I'd never been in a smash, so I had no idea what to do. So we swapped addresses, the UK style of things. I changed my wheel and drove to work. very slowly. He got his wife to drag his car off.
So the next day I find that without a 'constat' - an insurance document where both sides agree to what happen and sign it, legally - no accident has happened. pretty cool for me, sure the other guy was a bit pissed off.
So with the help of my mate from the cement works, we fitted a replacement triangle thing.
Jetta drove fine after.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 am

vocabulary takeaway's - smash and wing mirror.

I have watched so much cycling, I feel I know the roads in that area; France, Belgium, etc, all too well.

When I see wheels like that, makes me think of video games like Spy Hunter, or cartoons like Inspector Gadget when have weapons come from their wheels.

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 12, 2014 12:38 pm

^ It really was:
ldv.jpg
See those wheelstuds?

"Wing mirrors"
What do you call 'em then?

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon May 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Side view. Boring huh?

Work hard; Complain less

ninjalulz
Window Manager

Unread post by ninjalulz » Tue May 13, 2014 3:56 am

wuxmedia wrote:@Ninja - Oh I figured out why you flipped over, as you were swerving the weight was on your side and her car (the white one?) acted as a wedge and chipped you over?
I think it was less of her car acting as a wedge and more of where she hit my top heavy SUV. The brunt of if hit right in front of my right rear wheel which started a spin and momentum+weight pulled it over.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 am

I guess they are top heavy.
thanks for sharing your crazy day.
Side view's not so bad - fits along with 'rear view' in use in UK and US I think

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon May 19, 2014 8:32 am

I know I am late to this post but I am glad everyone is okay and I hope you are doing well.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI