Mechanical keyboard?

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
Alad
should take a shower

Mechanical keyboard?

Unread post by Alad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am

I'm tired of burning keyboards every 6 months (!), so I want a better product. Apparently mechanical ones are teh shits, but just as diverse as WMs. A few links:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php
http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.ph ... -switches/
http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n- ... ow-to.html
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-mechani ... 1478307228

MX-Brown looks interesting (low-noise + feedback), so I might go with either Das Keyboard or Quickfire Pro.

Thoughts?
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

kexolino
Common Boob

Re: Mechanical keyboard?

Unread post by kexolino » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am

Take a look at CM Storm keyboards too, they're pretty nice too, and are cheaper. Otherwise, I've seen some sound comparison between the browns and blues, didn't really hear much difference, so I think I'd go with the blues..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:42 am

I use(d) an IBM Model M, unfortunately a few keys stopped working and I had to time to investigate what the reasons are. Maybe the cable, maybe the contacts. It's the clicky type, and it is totally robust. When I came back from Europe I noticed that the F1, the \ and the Home/End keys don't react, as well as the left Ctrl key. So quite random. Else it was great!
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:04 am

@kexolino: I've also noticed the CM Storms are a bit more compact, which is rather useful to me. Re switches, this video explains it pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvlp6g_hNbw

@mb: sounds promising. :P
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:33 am

@Alad, it is made in 1989 April 1988. So I think YES it sounds promising.
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Oh... of course. *face to wall*

Compare that to my Cherry, where several letters and Shift are irresponsive, and the Enter key is loose. And I've only bought it this year.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:47 pm

type slower? 8p
My cherry is still un-popped 8)
I think the 'tab' key will be the first to go...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:23 am

That Das keyboard looks super nice. I have tested out some mechanical keyboards at local Best Buys and they feel very nice. Quite loud if I may add though.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Subsentient
Window Manager

Unread post by Subsentient » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:10 pm

What the hell do you people DO to your keyboards!?! I have had the same HP basic USB keyboard for FIVE YEARS and hammered on it daily for most of that time, and it still functions flawlessly! The only keyboard that keeps failing is my netbook's keyboard which I've replaced multiple times already, but that's to be expected.

I mean I know I'll look like the odd man out here I bet, but it's established I'm not a slow typist, I live on my machines, and I just don't get it. I thought failing keyboards were a myth like honest politicians or burgers that look as un-disgusting as the picture.
Bathing in peanut butter is good for the soul. Not the chunky kind though, the chunks get stuck in your crack.

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Subsentient: While I also want a mechanical keyboard, I have been using the same Microsoft Internet keyboard since at least 2005, maybe longer. I have gotten at least three new keyboards with new PC's since getting it, but I always come back to it. It doesn't do anything special (not that I use, anyway), but it always works and it's comfortable.

Tim

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:58 pm

I've also been using the same Logitech keyboard for years. Still want a mechanical keyboard though, because, well, mechanical, bling, etc.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Subsentient wrote:What the hell do you people DO to your keyboards!?! I have had the same HP basic USB keyboard for FIVE YEARS and hammered on it daily for most of that time, and it still functions flawlessly! The only keyboard that keeps failing is my netbook's keyboard which I've replaced multiple times already, but that's to be expected.
Where is the part that "we people/these people" DO something to their keyboards? I have read all posts above twice. "You people" sounds a bit odd here. If you read as fast as you type it makes sense, tho'.
..gnutella..

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:28 pm

I just got two of these babies that were on a point-of-sales system and they were to be just thrown away. NICE 2005 IBM keyboards, mechanical, clicky, and loud. Nice to type on/with.

Yes, as we spoke about earlier, get a mechanical keyboard if/when possible.

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 am

Got a quickfire with mx brown. Quite a difference to those cheap rubbers! But will take some time getting used to; e.g. there is a slight repeat delay.

The keypad is funny - numlock toggles arrow keys. Meaning numlock is one concern less in Linux, yey.

Also UK layout because US was sold out. And Hunt said some keys are in better places (like " \ "), and I agree so far.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:40 pm

ah been a long time wanting those japanese HHKB or an old model M keyboard, but it's pricey here in Indonesia
even roccat and das aren't that expensive
rice no more.

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I got a custom keyboard from http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ and it's my favorite mechanical keyboard that I've ever owned.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:09 pm

^ How much do they pay for linking to their site? :D
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:11 pm

^ 4 spare keys.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:55 pm

W A S and D ? ;)
..gnutella..

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:37 pm

My features were awesome, and now I dig a pony, but I'm elated to be here today all the same! This is the first time since 2005 that I haven't had Debian installed on either my laptop or desktop. I'm really happy about linuxbbq and hope to continue extensifying my setup until it's quite omgwtfbbq, and yes I am aware that this is not an introduction thread, but Hjallo!

I've had a Razer keyboard, Das Keyboard, Advantage Pro, others... but as I thought I could say so much more succinctly earlier and somehow get away with it, my current is my favorite.

...and I've only just recently gotten into the keycap subculture. I have a red spacebar that I sometimes like to swap out with the black one, you know, like for when girls come over.