Pleased to meat you, hope you like my game

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
Potatohead
killall X

Pleased to meat you, hope you like my game

Unread post by Potatohead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Hello all, what a great distro and great forum this is!

Introduction: my name is Potatohead, I am in my late 40s, I work at a university. I'm not a techie, I'm a marketing guy. Yes, the irony, marketing and open source, but we all know that many things won't get better when you pay for them. Such as sex, or software :-)

I've been using Linux for 7 years or so. Crunchbang (stable) has been on my desktop for years, but I'm not active on the #! forums.

Why Debian? Well, many distros have things going for them. Gentoo and Funtoo are very interesting, but too complicated for me. I also tried Sabayon, which is nice but felt slow to use....(maybe you can speed things up, I don't know). Arch has the nice division core/testing/community/aur (if I got this right). Downgrading/ rolling back should be easier however. I have used Arch, Archbang and Chakra (although I don't like KDE). Ubuntu and Mint have great " software centres" that look nicer than the typical repository. Mint has nice looks, I really like Cinnamon. Mint has some nice community tools as well. Fedora and openSuse have paid developers behind them which is nice. openSuse felt slow, Fedora was better. But, ultimately I prefer community driven distros and Debian never failed me.

My own computers are linux-only. But unfortunately at work our IT-department has a different world view, which is
a) users are idiots
b) all software should be locked down
c) Microsoft makes the best software.
So they invest heavily in rubbish such as Sharepoint - worst p.o.s. you'l;l ever see, whose sole function is to tie organizations to MS. And yes, organizations pay dearly for that priviledge....... Why, why? Anyway, I'm just a user. Read: idiot. ;-)

My compliments for the very good installer the devs here made, one of the best I have seen! And of course for the nice "spins" of Debian Sid you guys cook (I like that Fedora word).

I also find this forum great fun, I LOVE the mix of serious things and humour. That disclaimer!!! LOL Yes I'm a grownup guy but man I love that sort of student like humour :-)

Keep up the good work.

PS, my screen name: with all that meat I thought some Potatoes would be nice, ain't it? And he's in Toystory too :-)

dura
Compiler

Re: Pleased to meat you, hope you like my game

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey potatohead. Welcome to the barbie. Glad you're enjoying yourself around here and finding things tasty.

I also 'work' in a university. Organizational creativity and learning is my bag. gnu/linux has some of the best marketing people around. Who could resist RMS eating stuff from his own toenails?

Sorry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Welcome!
...oh.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 pm

welcome potatohead!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Potatohead wrote: c) Microsoft makes the best software.
Wait a second here, are you telling me that this isn't the case? *face-palm*

Anyway, Welcome! Grab a smock and spatula. Enjoy!

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Warmly welcome Potatohead!

My favourite vegetable ;) Thanks for the praise, the installer is courtesy of Ikey Doherty (SolusOS) who has forked/rewritten it from Clem's LMDE installer.

You like Cinnamon, well there's actually a BBQ version (Gammon) already fixed and finished for upload, I just hesitated because I found it to be too laggy (or to be fair: as laggy as it is upstream) but I might push it on the server some day, when I have a bit more time.

So, enjoy your meat and nice to see you at the collective Barbie!
..gnutella..

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Welcome to the BBQ Potatohead, very nice intro thread :)
We are all grown-ups here, but that is in age only, not always in attitude. :P
That's what makes LinuxBBQ different, we are a community of users who have taken part (and some still do) in that other community but felt we wanted more freedom to express ourselves and have fun, but enjoy all the beauty of Linux at the same time minus the restrictions. I can already tell you will fit in nicely here. :D

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! Regarding Cinnamon, yes I indeed like that, but also I have mixed feelings. If I use OpenBox for a long time, I welcome Mint+ Cinnamon, just as I welcomed other general public distros. openSuse + KDE overwhelmed me. Sabayon + KDE ditto.

Yet, those shiny distros never make it long on my computers. The menus make me nervous....So after a while I usually delete them, or give them a low order in the harem :) And I'm back to OpenBox....

By the way, how do I upgrade? On Siduction they say to close X first and then to use distr-upgrade So, not update and update, but update, close X, and dist-upgrade. Do I need that here as well? Thanks!

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

You may want to wait for confirmation, but I've just been using upg Yep, bacon has put an alias for it. :) No probs on my machine without logging out, etc.
...oh.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:52 pm

You can use

Code: Select all

upg
and check the output. If there are packages that are relevant for X server or xorg involved, you should indeed leave X and do it from tty. It's never wrong to play safe.

And no worries, we won't have shiny-blinky desktops over here. We are real men :D
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 pm

dura wrote:gnu/linux has some of the best marketing people around. Who could resist RMS eating stuff from his own toenails?
LOL.

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks Dura & Machinebacon. I'll dive into it.

o.g.
runs Testing

Unread post by o.g. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Hy

Great distro : http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/
My first Debian installation ! But not my first linux : Suse at the end
of the 90's.

O.G.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 am

how rude of me not to say hello - before i answered your question.
hellooo.
welcome to the barbie, sometimes i wrap pototoes in foil then put them in the ashes of a bbq, for eating much later on a particularly messy/late night 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"