Quote of the day

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Quote of the day

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:28 pm

^ edit the above post to take out the religious part, sorry ;)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I saw what you said. I just wanted to show he indeed wrote critical passages about religion, especially as an institution using bible verses.

Oh, there was an edit. :) Whatever, it is just different interpretation. Tolstoy was just a great man, let's agree on that. I see him as a Christian anarchist.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:51 pm

isn't he in the beard-thread too? or he should be.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Meh, I like the writings of a vegan zen buddhist (Dogen Zenji), a contemplative catholic priest (Thomas Keating), and a perspectivist atheist (Friedrich Nietzsche). Solid thinking is solid regardless of how it's cased, IMHO.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm

^ that.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:56 pm

@machinebacon Anna Karenina as an intro to Tolstoy world can be hardcore, so a short story ( although not short compared to the average short stories ) is good enough.And short / long stories / novels depends on the mood and story itself ;) but i'll agree with you on the temper part, if you're very selective then picking up long stories is a rare occasion.I like short stories from O.Henry but most of them tend to be "the same old" stuff ( except Tolstoy's not so short stories are an exception ).I liked some of the spiritual experiences of Tolstoy except when he forced his beliefs on his family, its alright to spread what you belief but its for the people to decide whether they are going to choose to belief and follow that path or not.And you're right, Tolstoy did took the easy path but maybe he took it for granted that when we're finished reading his work, we belief and see what he does so he thinks that we understood it all and the road doesn't actually hit a dead end ? ( another terrible expression ).

@DebianJoe Thanks for sharing some good authors i'll look into them ( specially Dogen Zenji ) and +1 for the last sentence, its what everyone brings to table :)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 pm

+1 to everything from everyone :D
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:34 pm

DebianJoe got me thinking of zen so its obvious.. :D
I use a Bruce Lee technique: 'The way of no way.' He had the idea that he would learn everything, so that whoever he had to fight, he could improvise anything. The best way of starting a gig is just to not think of anything - to clear your mind, not in an empty Zen state, but more just to go on and see where you go.
-Eddie Izzard
This goes to everyone in the FOSS community and specially this one, you all share this attribute whether you know it or not :)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:55 am

This had to be added ;)
"Think of the sperm and egg as compiled object code, your balls compiled your DNA into sperm.o and the woman compiled her DNA to egg.o then when they meet up they are linked against stdhuman.h to create an executable." - DebianJoe

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:56 am

Currently I'm using urxvt and it lacks a lot of features. I miss terminator! But there's no way I'm switching back, because urxvt starts instantly.
Somebody in this thread suggested xterm. No. It's an old, bloaty piece of shit.
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 77#p334777
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:08 am

^ Lol'd. Whats tmux / screen / dvtm ?
“I once worked for a bitch of a boss and on the weekends when I had to come into the office by myself, I would jerk off into her bottle of hand lotion, which she used obsessively while at work.” - YouWouldNeverSuspectMe

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sun May 10, 2015 12:54 pm

First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards,
and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture. - Linux kernel coding style

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Mon May 11, 2015 4:24 pm

If you get hurt, hurt 'em back. If you get killed... walk it off.
Captain America

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 am

Americans no longer talk to each other, they entertain each other. They do not exchange ideas, they exchange images. They do not argue with propositions; they argue with good looks, celebrities and comercials.
Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
^ copyright 1985

-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue May 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Neil Postman was a prophet. I read Amusing Ourselves to Death two years ago and it has really changed the way I look at things; it seemed more foreboding than Orwell's 1984 in some ways.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Tue May 12, 2015 5:42 pm

^Agreed.
-H
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Tue May 12, 2015 7:25 pm

“Like every other creature on the face of the earth, Godfrey was, by birthright, a stupendous badass, albeit in the somewhat narrow technical sense that he could trace his ancestry back up a long line of slightly less highly evolved stupendous badasses to that first self-replicating gizmo---which, given the number and variety of its descendants, might justifiably be described as the most stupendous badass of all time. Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.”
Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 pm

^ that's a good point :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. - William Butler Yeats

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 14, 2015 5:29 pm

All the soarings of my mind begin in my blood. - R.M. Rilke