App Store

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: App Store

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 pm

thanks, those apps, I might take the 7 min workout. Main thing for me I think is not drinking a bottle of wine/6 pack/third of spirits an evening followed by a couple of cheese and lime pickle sarnies. Although when I was working like a motherfucker building bit of lorries I could eat and drink whatever I wanted....hm - https://youtu.be/8l6vTw97QWs Slob might know that one, being an old brit. yeah thanks for the list of apps and stuff.
like I said - I walk, we cycle around a bit when we can. not going to strap on my iphone X and grasp my giant cockring shaped ovoid water bottle and do a fucking lap of the park in my fucking lycra and hulk hogan cap.

yeah got some steps. awesome! I might look at that cheap Xaomien wearable.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 pm

^^ To an Android newbie such as myself, which app would you recommend?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:02 pm

not addressed to me, but seems to be linked to what you wear if anything.
google fit seems ok, but i'm up to my ears in google.

OK doesn't seem worth getting a wearable unless it's proper money. sod that then

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 pm

^^ this is totally subjective but if you want simple no muss no fuss I would go with Google Fit. That is assuming you carry your phone with you when you run, ride and walk. It will track all that without even thinking about it. Just a simple setup and off you go it will also show you your routes. I don't think there is anyway to export that out of the google verse but haven't investigated. FREE

Strava huge online community 10+ mil worldwide? to share with if you want. I bet 80% of all world class endurance athletes use. But I think you have to select activity and start it and stop and save it. FREE

Nike Run is another great tracker type app. FREE

If you want to get in more trainer type apps that also track I like Zen Labs They have 5k free, 10k, half marathon and full distance. It has training plans built in with scheduling etc. Its based on a run / walk, follows the 10% rule, user and beginner friendly.

There are many others, I'm no expert and the only wearable that I have used is the one I posted above.
wuxmedia wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 pm
going to strap on my iphone X and grasp my giant cockring shaped ovoid water bottle and do a fucking lap of the park in my fucking lycra and hulk hogan cap.
I know everyone is thinking it but I will say it...
We need those photos posted ASAP:D
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:00 am

^ wrt photos: just take a look outside! after new years is a good one around here, where did all the dayglo people come from...ahh new years guilt and xmas pressies. I mean good on them, never see them in Feb though :D

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 am

ChefIronBelly wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 pm
wuxmedia wrote:
going to strap on my iphone X and grasp my giant cockring shaped ovoid water bottle and do a fucking lap of the park in my fucking lycra and hulk hogan cap.
I know everyone is thinking it but I will say it...
We need those photos posted ASAP:D
Yeah It takes a real man to do it, live the dream Wux! ;D
rice no more.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:18 am

wuxmedia wrote:
to strap on my iphone X and grasp my giant cockring shaped ovoid water bottle and do a fucking lap of the park in my fucking lycra and hulk hogan cap.
Just make sure you've got some WHAM! playing in the background, for credibility.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 am

NOT, I SAID NOT going to do that!
talk about taken out of context :D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 am

Got myself a new Android phone this week. Yay :) Well I found a Samsung A5 22017 model at a quite good bargain since they are releasing new models now. My old phone were low spec and kind of slow, so it was time to upgrade anyway so to speak.

On my old phone I settled with using the default browser. Is there really any point in doing it more complicated that that? I just read the news and check some forums, nothing exciting. Or should I just go with my usual Firefox or Opera out of loyalty?
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:07 am

Kiwi browser. Finally a chrome browser which supports the Google extensions (ublock, namely).
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:29 am

vic wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 am
On my old phone I settled with using the default browser. Is there really any point in doing it more complicated that that? I just read the news and check some forums, nothing exciting. Or should I just go with my usual Firefox or Opera out of loyalty?
If you don't notice then I wouldn't bother. I have chrome as google owns my butt and has all the keys to my kingdom.
I got a pixel4 cheap the other month. pretty good. wonderful camera. I bought my wife a moto g8+xyz something and tbh the camera sort of beats (has ultra wide, which she uses to get our brood in shot, it AND the screen is huge, nice looking, snappy and well under half the price of a pixel.
Can't quite get over how the pixel4 looks like a fucking chump phone. when all other phones are all screen (like your alsmost all Sammys) with a pinhole or popup cam, rather than 1cm of bezel top and bottom.
So yeah might sell that off and see about something a bit sexier.
Native android is really fucking nice though.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:30 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:29 am
Native android is really fucking nice though.
That is the reason why I bought a new smart thing after two years of going back to 'real' phones. And I still detest Android but it does its job better than any fuck Sammy phone. But I also switched back to Chrome because Firefox even the new version which should be the future of Firefox on Android whose name I forgot ran terribly clunky and slow.
Though as Bacon mentioned Kiwi I should give it a look because the worst thing with Chrome are all the ads it serves me. I miss uBlock. It is the only extension I need on Android.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 pm

i don't really go out so I got a pi4 on offer and that's running pihole. pretty slick bit of DNS trickery which blocks ads at the DNS level. It's simply a fancy local network wide hosts file really.with graphs. no one seems to have complained. just make sure you set up a back up DNS resolver *glares at cloudflare*

In my case I made the default BT router stop doing DHCP and the pihole take over that, the only difference in that the dns can be static on the pihole, and I can decent names to the stupid windows machines and weird android devices which are just an IP or MAC on the network

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:25 pm

I've never actually run Pi-hole on Pi-type hardware before. I have run it on my VPN server - IKEv2/IPSec via strongSwan, CoreOS - in the past though. Did the job well enough, though I eventually switched to dnsmasq (via dnscrypt-proxy), mainly because there were some good configs I flicked from someone's github somewhere.

Contemplated making a music streamer or a local "git storage" device with a RaspPi, but just never got round to it. Just can't be arsed these days, with civilization ending and all.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:51 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Though as Bacon mentioned Kiwi I should give it a look because the worst thing with Chrome are all the ads it serves me. I miss uBlock. It is the only extension I need on Android.
It even has a native "hide annoying ads" switch that already filters out a bunch of shit. ublock takes care of everything that slips through. Give it a go, you won't regret it.
..gnutella..

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:05 pm

^ *rubs eyes*
That you, baconator? Holy shit! You're alive!! *wipes tears*
Wait, why is everyone else behaving like your re-appearance is just part of a regular day?

Hope you've been well, mate.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:50 pm

Slob :D I forgot you're not in the gang of mods 😂

I'm fine, how're you doing?
..gnutella..

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:35 pm

^ I'm surviving. Rest of reply in the modulator thread. Thanks for the invite, btw.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:29 am
vic wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 am
If you don't notice then I wouldn't bother.
I have ended up with just using the deafult browser mostly, and Firefox out of loyalty when I feel for it. But the battery capacity has started to get somewhat reduced now. :( So maybe I will have to send a message to Santa... ;)

And yes, this Android/app stuff can be quite frustrating sometimes. But I have a growing suspicion that it really is just me being in need of a du. :D
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:01 am

^ Realised I was necrobumping :D