Re: App Store

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 pm

Victorinux old friend howdy :D
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:14 am

^howdy dear sir baconix, your return and presence is mucho appreciated here @bbq :D
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:26 am

Switched to vlc on my phone for mp3 files. Google Music, which I had used for a while were canceled and I just did not want the replacement in form of the Youtube Music app.Checked out some alternatives, but there were so much to choose from, so I went for something safe and well known instead.

Looks nice and works ditto.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 pm

^ I used it for a while and it is not a bad app, maybe a little bit slow so I use foobar2000 instead. How funny because I never really used foobar on Windows.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 am

After a while I got really tired of vlc. It worked well, so why? Every time I started it I got some message from it about something I do not remember anymore. Got really frustrated about it so I realized it time to find something else. Ended up with mpv, which I have started to use on my laptops, and which works well for my use. If, or when I grow tired of it I hope to remember to check out foobar2000. Do have a vague recollection of having used it many moons ago on my pc.

A question: Do you guys get frustrated over this "appification" of things? I mean, the limited functionality of apps, compared to what you can do if you start up your pc and do it there. My boss here at home were screaming yesterday because of something like that. ;D

Is this the future of us who do the end user computing, an appification with the result of an even bigger dumbing down of me the user?

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm

I still don't think my Fairphone changed my life honestly. I think I check it about four/five times a day tops, probably because after 8 hours in front of my computer is more than enough. As for the apps, I do like that I can use it to chat with the missus and some Uni groups, but other than that, it's basically a costly telephone if you ask me.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:24 pm

vic wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 am
A question: Do you guys get frustrated over this "appification" of things? I mean, the limited functionality of apps, compared to what you can do if you start up your pc and do it there.
Depends on the app and what it's supposed to do. Some apps do one thing and do it well and can make even the best bash alias seem clunky in comparison. Others on mobile are neutered versions of their desktop which, more often than not, leave you frustrated. The there are those that promise to do everything and end up doing nothing because their mission statement was born from a marketer's twat instead of an engineer's brain.

Is this the future of us who do the end user computing, an appification with the result of an even bigger dumbing down of me the user?
That's the midway point. The endgame is SaaS (Software as a Service) where everything is on a subscription model. By that time the end user will be too dumbed down to notice though. If the billionaires have their way, we'll all be taking out mortgages for PaaS, the P being Pulse.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:06 pm

I am not really using my phone and never was and especially with the pandemic, yes, it became almost obsolete as I can open my chat program just on the laptop where I am sitting anyway the whole day. Sometimes when my free local "newspaper" got its use I open the browser on the phone for breakfast to look at some of the terrible news we are bombarded constantly. Other than that it mostly serves as a remote for the Chromecast.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks for the wise words guys. I see that some apps are very convenient to have for it´s purpose, but I am very restricted about installing stuff on my phone. I just install what I really need. I do find it ridiculous though that whatever the crap you install, even an app let´s say for some nonsensical bs, you have to give it permission to devour your entire existence. Well, someone need to make money of your personal data, I know, but damn it sucks.

Yes, we are not users anymore, we are subscribers. I had forgot about that, lived my life in blissful ignorance from that ugly fact. Anyway, who cares, eventually the sun will blow up and we will be long gone by then.:)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat May 01, 2021 8:35 am

Ok, I got another question. There is one thing that I don´t understand. I do get that the iApple/Mac branding and business model appeal to the "make some real money now" side of things.

But what about the actual design of the ware, what is so tantalizing about it? If I remember correctly, they were the first (or early out) with flat keys on the keyboard. Can´t stand it. There was this it guy who proudly showed me his Mac with the flat keys, I thought are you crazy dude? But said something nice about it of course. Rounded corners, what??? I want my corners sharp. Tried a Mac, and when I clicked on an icon it started to jump? I mean it actually started to jump! Wtf?

And this obsession with the dock? Sigh, I know I know. I am the one who is the stupid old bitch here. Ok the smoothness when you use a Mac I can understand, and it is good hardware yes. That is to be found elsewhere too.

But when, and why did it become the ideal to follow, or struggle toward? Yes I am the one on the wrong side of the fence. I prefer Debian, Linux, an arid b/w/g unblinged looking desktop. So of course I am the wrong, it is in fact very easy to understand that someone with such a conservative view , or reactionary if you like, not understand these things.

Sorry, it nearly turned into a rant, anyway I just had to get it out of my system once again. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 03, 2021 12:38 am

vic wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:35 am
Tried a Mac, and when I clicked on an icon it started to jump? I mean it actually started to jump! Wtf?
You mean like in KDE. :) How I hate jumping icons and cursors.

For the rest I do not have an answer. Though I do not think that the hardware is that superior anymore and of course the keyboard is shit but that is always a problem of mine with any modern laptop.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am

^ Depends on what you mean by hardware, tough. Yeah, their chassis finishing isn't all that special, and frankly those all-metal laptop enclosures do more harm than good for thermals, but their in-house SoCs are really quite performant. Also, their trackpad drivers aand out-of-factory screen calibration are still the industry benchmarks.

I don't see myself buying a Mac for personal use again though. Work is a different story, because for the software I run it's only MacOS or Windows, so between piss and complete shit, I'll take the piss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic, here's an example of how low the "App" can go; https://www.mightyapp.com/
Instead of your own computer interacting with the web, you stream a remote Chrome session that lives on a someone else's computer many miles away, for $30/month?!?! If you think that alone is enough to make you wince, just read the cringe-fest marketing alphabet soup on that product website.

So you're basically doubling your privacy egress and security ingress surfaces, all while still bottlenecked by your ISP's own throttling/routing/peering issues. Also, when did streaming a HD video (because that's essentially what you're doing, streaming a video of a cloud browser session) become less intensive than rendering images and javascript? Browsers support GPU acceleration for javascript, right? Yes, I know WebGL is a potential security risk, but compare that to doing your browsing shit on a cloud rig....

How out of touch does a cushy overpaid Silicon Valley techbro have to be to come up with Rube Goldberg stuff like this? Seriously, anyone that can justify the $30/month asking price for this nonsense can easily justify simply getting a faster computer and switching ISP. Heck, you're probably affluent enough to move to a town/city/country with better ISP in that case anyway. Pay for this and you're a chump. A.FUCKING.CHUMP!!

Heck, even those gaming-PC-in-the-cloud plans are cheaper, and arguably a lot more sensible. Rent a PC for gaming because you have no intention of building a dudebro neon radiator at home and wrestle with GPU drivers or anti-cheat DRM rootkit pestilence on your bare-metal? I totally feel you. Renting a bloody browser session?! That's some potent bat soup you're drinking!! The CCP approved kind.

I ain't even remotely religious, but Jesus Fucking Wept, man!! If this succeeds, then we might as well just embrace Skynet-induced extinction.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 03, 2021 11:55 pm

^ The rant part is glorious.

My shitty Nokia phone got Android 11 and fucked it up again, it already did so when going from version 9 to 10 but I did not bother because it somehow worked albeit with bugs. But 11 broke a lot of functionality and the phone was in a half usable state. I swear after this shit show of phone I will never buy a new smartphone and will not touch anything Nokia. The reason I bought it in the first place was the Android One program and it was an economical price for an almost non-user like myself. But nope, it was not worth it. Even vanilla Android occupies almost 90 % of the storage, an external SD card solves the problem for me. The whole reason to go with an unmodified Android version was not having garbage installed. The damn Samsung phone that came with a ton of useless crap ware was occupying less.

I just reset the phone and now use exclusively F-Droid and did not login into any Google account. The phone is already running better and I discovered OsmAnd. I knew about the app but never tried it or at least could not get it to work before. Oh boy how I love the maps for my bike rides, finally having the correct routes and not the bullshit that Google Maps offers.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat May 22, 2021 10:05 am

vic wrote:...I may just get a fucking tattoo in my forehead that says "internet corporate sucker" or something. Well that will be too long really, I need something shorter.
If you're really serious about inking your forehead, may as well write to one of these megacorps and ask if they'll pay you for their name up there. Profit from tragedy.

Edit:
Oh fuck, I edited your post by mistake.
Can't undo it by going back a page (probably my history-killing FF settings).
Sorry vic >_<

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon May 24, 2021 3:01 pm

Hahaha, this was really funny, thank you for the laugh! No ink though, I will take the easy way out and take the pill. Blue, or red? Heck, I ´take both to be sure. Will stop overthinking these matters and contiune my life in ignorance. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 pm

IDK almost all the people at work use macs. and it's only a browser and the terminal we need tbh.
the recent thing I heard is that google will take the cert signing that devs use to prove that it is [i[their[/i] app and moving that for googol to sign, meaning that google can sign any of the apps on the play store. I mean IDK but... what do you think?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon May 31, 2021 8:54 am

^IDK either. And when it comes to the BIG internet stuff I feel totally helpless, I mean it seems that the BIG five or whatever is going to suck us all up in a giant server and control everything in the end anyway. :|

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:21 pm

https://www.xayn.com/

Not fully convinced (they're still VC funded so anything can change down the line), but so far I've been moderately impressed. It does a decent job with global shit and is surprisingly better than DDG for localized topics in my part of the world. Wireshark'd the traffic and it doesn't seem to make suspicious requests/pings. Only concern is that it's German and with that new "state trojan" law passed by the German Rumpelstiltskinfrozenapplestrudle (or some other body with an equally long-ass name), I'm still unsure how it affects software produced in the country. Their reddit channel claims they are "currently working on open sourcing the entire application" so at least that's positive.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 pm

^ I saw the sponsors (known from), sorry, but I would not put my trust so easily into that company. You already said it regarding the "Staatstrojaner". Germany is going down very quickly. Before C everybody would be protesting against this law but now nobody does and they just passed it having breakfast.