App Store

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

OFFTOPIC

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 pm

I... I guess I will just drop this here?
Attachments
I7lfSnU.png
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: App Store

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:05 pm

^ interesting... thank you
..gnutella..

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:32 am

^^ Aside from Flipboard, I don't think I've used any of those apps on Android.... and damn, that Video Klik apps is crazy.... like it wants to take over your system and eat your brains crazy..... systemd crazy!!

Android's "all or nothing" permission system is the main reason why I've given up on the platform.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 am

Only app I have seen is BBC, the rest god knows :)
Craaaazy :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:02 pm

A new messaging/VoIP app. I like that it allows sharing SoundCloud and Youtube. No idea how secure it is, since it was launched today.
Here's the article I got the news from. Promises end-to-end encryption, which really doesn't mean squat if you think about it - two dudes with cup-n-string can also get end-to-end encryption as long as they speak Urdu or Icelandic - but we'll see. Available for both iOS and Android.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:50 pm

A different take on the un-loved calendar. Not released yet. I signed up for the beta.
http://dialsapp.com/

You can hear the backstory here.
http://www.redditblog.com/2015/01/upvot ... ories.html

Work hard; Complain less

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:40 pm

^ Wow! Seems like a great step forward, if they can pull it off, that is. Signed up and looking forward to it.

I'm one of those people that lives and dies by a Calender app these days, and one of the biggest reasons I remain on iOS is Fantastical. No other calendar app out there comes close. Lets hope Dials gives them some competition.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:43 am

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:58 am

^ That is funny, I'd wonder why it's only running a 2.6 kernel, but nice.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:42 am

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:36 pm

^ can be a good thing if used the right way - streaming news in real time. The day it was released, people were streaming that fire in New York as it happened. Of course, it's only a matter of time before some knob decides to give us a live show of him jacking off.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:45 pm

+1 for pushbullet
Google keep - I would like to find another list manager that would let me use voice to create and edit lists, that would sync my desktop, laptop, tablet and phone.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:16 pm

gutterslob wrote:^ can be a good thing if used the right way - streaming news in real time. The day it was released, people were streaming that fire in New York as it happened. Of course, it's only a matter of time before some knob decides to give us a live show of him jacking off.
that's the thing, no guarantee of content. Imagine seeing a loved one burning to death in said fire...
Sure a 'report' button, but it's a live stream, once reported might be gone - Not to get all 'daily mail' I watched a dog walk - some guy in bed with some chick, with his clothes on - an apartment in the south of france. and a cat in Honolulu, which was OK, but for the crappy comments. I think the broadcaster turned it off in the end.
Feels a bit like hi-jacking someone's phone just waiting for something to happen, or watching someone elses holiday tapes, with no frame of reference.
still might liven the mornings up a bit, streaming some weirdness.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm

Late, I know, but I'm gonna try gslob's Strava soon. Now that I've been into running for a while, le'ts see if what I can get out of it. :)

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm

^ Strava huh? Lately I've been using them a lot both in my job and my hobby. We made a people tracking app for a bike race event, some of the data we use is from Strava / Garmin gpx as well as its REST API. Their (Strava's) API is super complete, that's all i can say.

I'm into running these days as well, to get in shape.
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:27 pm

I need to fix my phone on the arm now, or something like that. And something to keep my glasses steady while running and working out. But then, hopefully, I'll be ready.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Strava is the biggie I only use it for the live SRM (stride rate per minute) with the use of this pod https://www.milestonepod.com there are better but I doubt cheaper. Milestone has there own app that you can connect via Bluetooth and get your run metrics. I also have Google Fit on my phone it automatically tracks walking, running and riding. Its simple and does its job.

Snapped this earlier this week when I switched my pod over to the new shoes.
Altra Torin 3.0 - Altra Torin 2.5 400miles

(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:30 pm

I've been biking with the twins in tow, literally. extra 30Kg to pull. Family comes too usually. Wife even bought a new (cheap) bike.
we are members of the National Trust, which is a fairly unique thing for the UK (instead of hideous inheritance tax rich folk could give their estate to the masses in this National Trust) and there are three within 20mins of us with nice cycle paths. I've lived around here for 20ish years and not seen all of each estate yet.

So yeah apps I guess I should install google fit, does one need an extra device? I guess I'll find out :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:55 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm
Late, I know, but I'm gonna try gslob's Strava soon. Now that I've been into running for a while, le'ts see if what I can get out of it. :)
Fwiw, I mentioned Strava almost four years ago (yeah, this thread is so old most of the App Store links I posted don't even work anymore) and while I still use it to burn matches (for cycling, Strava's challenges are still without equal, imho), the stock fitness apps on Android and iOS have gotten better over the last couple of years, so you might not even need it for the usual jog.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:55 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:30 pm
So yeah apps I guess I should install google fit, does one need an extra device? I guess I'll find out :)
No not needed I have been using it for 2 or 3 years now. One thing lacking on Google Fit is the social side of things. One other thing to mention that is nice about apple vs android phones is that apple has a Rf chip and android very few maybe the high end Samsung or Google Pixels, I haven't looked in awhile. What does all that mean is no standard HR monitor. That is a bit of a bummer and why I still always where or ride with a Garmin.

EDIT:
https://www.wareable.com/sport/the-best ... nd-devices