Wilderness!

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Wilderness!

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 30, 2015 10:16 am

I got with a Slovakinan girl once, wouldn't personally recommend a second date. I've never tasted such bad cooking :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I got with a Slovakian girl once. I've never tasted such bad ...

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat May 30, 2015 12:33 pm

^ And he says this as an Englishman :D
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat May 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Lol guys.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 30, 2015 6:48 pm

^^ You see any Slovakian dishes on this food list?
comments are golden on this rag :)
and +1 dkeg, you got the hidden message, although that was acceptable first time around. would have preferred eating that to the dish that was prepared 2nd time...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun May 31, 2015 4:19 am

Abalone Bratislava Style. Very famous among day trippers.
..gnutella..

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:14 am

Although the internet/cell service is few and far in between, Yellowstone is incredibly well maintained and staffed. There seems to be the perfect distance in-between dining, lodging, and the wild :D Everything takes forever to get to because of wildlife in the roads, so 4 days is definitely the minimum for a visit if you haven't been here before.

There were quite a few tour groups from around the world. Interesting to get a slightly closer look at the culture! One thing that I noticed was that park rangers kept a close eye on Chinese tourists but didn't seem to watch the Japanese too closely. Also, not all Swedes are skinny, blonde bombshells. A ton of British groups going through - several specifically from Essex, oddly enough.
Attachments
DSCF0755.JPG
DSCF0743.JPG
DSCF0659.JPG
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:50 am

^ Thanks for sharing DC.
Hehe, "The Only Way is Essex" crowd @ Wux :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:24 am

lovely scenery, must be wonderful - apart from the Essexers (there's a special class of Limey jokes about essex girls BTW)
So you are visiting, or working there?

yeah exactly Simgin, you're closer than me :p

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:42 pm

^ Wish I was working there :) We had friends who were had planned a trip and booked all of the lodging but had to cancel at the last minute. Since it is hard to get rooms up there, we just paid them to use the nights and got away over the weekend. Even though it is only 2 hours from where we live, we felt like we had gotten away on a little vacation :D

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Very nice, Dr. I still haven't seen Yellowstone; it's definitely on my short-list of places to see in the CONUS.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Neighbors and I are already planning our plans for this summer. This morning we discussed hiking up to Sourdough Glacier. It's still actively moving, and is presumably still calving off into Iceberg Lake (we don't have many calving glaciers in the continental 48 states, so this should be exciting!). We haven't been able to track someone down who has been there in the last several years and photographed the Klondike Peak vicinity. It would be neat to get some more documentation of the area, try to see how many crevices are in the glacier, if there are ice caves, pika populations in the area, etc.

Logistically it may be a problem. We would obviously have to bring more equipment with us than if we were only going up to the Dickinson Creek like we would normally do to just fish for a few days. We would also take more people with us, for safety and because we suck at camp cooking and need someone who can cook some proper vittles ;)

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:03 pm

I'm making jokes about where I live, but perhaps this promo clear up some things. It's the land where Cuby and the Blizzards (with Herman Brood) wrote their songs, and Vincent van Gogh loved to stay..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFPcU4EbqBU

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:28 am

DebianJoe wrote:Bear Grylls, popular TV survivalist, has been noted to drink his own urine on multiple occasions. This is outright stupid on multiple levels. At the point where you'd be contemplating urine as an acceptable source of water, then you're already probably significantly dehydrated. In this state, the salt levels and trace minerals in urine would most likely require more water to flush from the body (again!) than the water provided.

A little preparation would go a long way here, as digging a hole to collect some extra water in low-lying areas (such as dried riverbeds in arid climates), will add to any natural collectible water. This can then be boiled for 1 minute at sea level, adding 1 minute for each additional 300 meters above sea level, or boil for 10 minutes no matter where you are.
Along this same vein of discussion, do a search online on how to make a "solar water still". Learned how to make these in Boy Scouts desert survival many years ago. Actually worked quite well, if place in the above mentioned dry river beds. Need a clear piece of sheet plastic, and a way to dig a hole, either shovel, or a sharp stick and your hands. A natural depression will work, as long as you can seal the edges of the plastic down on all edges.