Wilderness!

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Wilderness!

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:54 pm

DebianJoe wrote:people are not out to help each other.
just walking down the fucking street these days illustrates that.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:04 pm

My pack changes depending on where I go. If I go trekking in the winter time, I'll usually add another couple of sources of fire, but so far the firesteel has yet to fail on me. And hell, there's probably at least 4 lighters somewhere in the pack anyway. And I do bring along basic fishing tackle as well.

The cell is great to have as a means of emergency communication, and these days (at least over here) when people disappear for more than a few days at a time, people will want to know if you're still alive regardless of what you told them when you left. A text is usually sufficient. In a SHTF situation, the cell would probably be worthless. A multiband walkie talkie might be a better bet (extra points if you can charge it with solar).

I bring paracord as well. It helps with rigging the hammock, a branch shelter and anything else that needs to stay together.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:27 pm

quick off-topic, but just to give an alternative look at the idea that people are not out to help each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brzjeICcIt0
(hint: it depends on the people and the situation, it seems)

on-topic, i'd like to say that i have immense respect for people who really go out into the wilderness and shit. perhaps one day i will do the same myself, who knows.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:36 am

slartie wrote:My pack changes depending on where I go. If I go trekking in the winter time, I'll usually add another couple of sources of fire, but so far the firesteel has yet to fail on me. And hell, there's probably at least 4 lighters somewhere in the pack anyway. And I do bring along basic fishing tackle as well.

The cell is great to have as a means of emergency communication, and these days (at least over here) when people disappear for more than a few days at a time, people will want to know if you're still alive regardless of what you told them when you left. A text is usually sufficient. In a SHTF situation, the cell would probably be worthless. A multiband walkie talkie might be a better bet (extra points if you can charge it with solar).

I bring paracord as well. It helps with rigging the hammock, a branch shelter and anything else that needs to stay together.
I live in Christchurch New Zealand and back in 2011 we suffered 2 major big Earthquakes with many aftershocks and cell phone communication was mixed success with networks being being overcome by the demand placed on them which of course was not surprising. However it was still comforting to be able to phone loved ones and friends to check they were ok, when you could get through.

As for people not helping each other, the disaster helped bring out the best in some people caring for others helping clean up Liquefaction, eg. Student Army.

People started to look out for one another, strangers greeting each other in the street asking how each was going.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Chris ... earthquake

Anyway my wife and I are looking to hit the road and live in a Caravan, go back to basics and livd off-grid as much as possible, so this thread is really interesting. I watch a lot of videos about the prepper movement and small off grid housing movement many examples of which are on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... tiny+house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2TwmW4hqoY
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:59 am

darry1966 wrote: I watch a lot of videos about the prepper movement and small off grid housing movement many examples of which are on youtube:
At this point, you're endeared to me. Preppers are really cool people. My wife is a hobby farmer, and they're really very helpful with her questions about ways to get things done. I <3 tiny houses, and once my kids grow up, plan to make one of my own. Cool stuff Darry.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:25 am

Indeed, Darry. Fascinating stuff :D I had no clue this forum would be such a treasure trove! I have some books sitting around here about building tiny homes, barn houses, and living in an RV (caravan) full time. Living where I do, building a cabin is definitely an attractive option and I have looked at land prices, but it is freaking expensive unless you want to live 50mi. from civilization. I considered converting a barn into a house, and was even so bold enough (I was 14 believe it or not) to call up a guy I heard from a conference recording to ask him about his barn that he converted into a house. He insulated it and tossed sheet-rock on the walls, turned the loft into storage and made a bathroom and a couple bedrooms sectioned off under the loft. He then has the living space all open with the family doing everything together, from the office to the library to the kitchen. It was actually quite fun sounding! One day I might try that...

Until then I found some neat stuff about living in an RV "off the grid" :D Have you seen any of the YouTube videos produced by Nikki and Jason Wynn? Sounds like you could teach them a thing or two ;) They have some real neat stuff that I have enjoyed and sort of has introduced me to the entire concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbrwhq4ooWs
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:51 am

Thank you for the link I will check these out. Thanks Debian Joe there is a lot of imformation out there about doing this and as for the heating side of things there is designs for wood heaters using tiny sticks of wood.

Such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6T5YE7fq0
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsd72U2l7nI
and many homemade rocket stove designs with small fireboxes that can heat effietly if needed.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:52 am

Dr_c: I essentially did that to the house in France! It was a stone walled tin roofed shit floored cow shed when we got there. eventually got it double glazed, plumbed and wired up and so on. It is amazing what you can do on your own, with a few tools and a shit load of determination.
I really want to be remote worker, My wife is into the 'gypsy' life - I'm not a fan of caravans etc. but long holidays with working - fine.
Americans - I salute your RV's - the only thing I'd trek in.

oh yeah, NZ =/= US

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Our household is heading down to Texas tomorrow to meet up with friends and extended family. We have done this is the same place for about 5 years now and we have really enjoyed it :) I am glad Texas is chosen, as we just got 8" of snow here in Wyoming with wind which was no fun at all (and quite a surprise considering it was in the mid 60s a few days before)!

Most of us older boys fish and mountain bike during the whole thing and have a generally splendid time with competitions to see who can stay up the longest, etc. The RV's are loaded with bulk food and drinks from Sam's Club and someone is always brewing coffee or tea at any given time so I should gain something weight-wise from this (hopefully)!

Anywho, I will be taking a short hiatus from the Thinkpad/BBQ/everything electronic until the 27th :) I did pack a duffel bag full of books, although I doubt I will make it through many of them. I'll see what it is like to be away from my waifu (Emacs-chan) for more than two days at a time... 0_o
Attachments
RV-long-shot-on-lake.jpg
TYLER-SP-SHELTERS_1572.jpg

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Nice, have a good time!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 pm

it was in the mid 60s a few days before
1965?

sorry, had to do that. have fun, sounds/looks like it is very possible there! and screw your computer when you're out there, just have some music to make you feel back at home and you will be fine :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:21 am

rhowaldt wrote:just have some music to make you feel back at home and you will be fine
That I making sure to do; burned eight or nine CDs with music to listen to on the way :D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 am

Sounds fantastic :)

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:13 am

Enjoy yourself DC :) Sounds and looks nice.
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Looks fantastic there. Have fun Doc!

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:57 am

A real paradise Dr have a great break.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat May 30, 2015 1:58 am

Tourist season hasn't kicked off in Wyoming yet, making Late May a great time for locals to hit up Yellowstone/Grand-Teton :D

I forget how great it would seem to work here. There are tons of foreign exchange students who come here to work for the summer; lodging is covered and they make enough money to keep them coming back :) Seems like it wouldn't be so bad... especially considering the cute Slovakian girl that was working as a ranger in the travel center ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://imgur.com/TDz1J7d
http://imgur.com/SiyxxtZ

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sat May 30, 2015 8:40 am

Nice DC, now go get that slovakian girl :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 am

nice ones Doc!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat May 30, 2015 9:12 am

That must be a big travel center when they need rangers in their office. :D
..gnutella..