Tony Stark says Hello!

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: Tony Stark says Hello!

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Welcome to the grill. Step one: don't worry about annoying questions. Step two: get rid of #! and get a bbq spin running. Step three: get rid of i3 and use a real WM. ;)

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm

dkeg wrote:throw a burger or steak on the grill. Get your Sunday started early.
going to need a grill!

^ the irony :D
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:29 pm

pidsley wrote:Welcome to the grill. Step one: don't worry about annoying questions. Step two: get rid of #! and get a bbq spin running. Step three: get rid of i3 and use a real WM. ;)
Cream is on its way ;)

I'm looking into dwm but i don't know C so its a problem for me tweaking it.Ofcourse i can borrow other people's dotfiles but that would leave to learning their keybinds and its going to take a lot of time/knowledge/hard work to achieve the same setup in dwm which i currently have in i3 but i really like dwm so if there's any quickie guide that will get me started with C would be nice :D
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:58 pm

You don't need C to tweak dwm; it's all done from the config file, unless you need to patch it, and then you just need to learn how to patch (again, no C involved). If you have questions, please ask.

And I was just kidding about i3 -- several people here use it with great success. I am not one of them, so I like to say obnoxious things about it.

Have fun with Cream -- it's a great way to learn about different window managers. Again, if you have questions about any of the WMs, please ask. I am the "window mangler" because I have tried just about all of them.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks @pidsley i will annoy you when i have no idea what i'm doing ;)
i3 has been really nice until i discovered bug.n a dwm clone for windows but scripted in autohotkey ( yeah forced to used windows in rare occasions ) so i discovered some of the nice stuff about dwm, specially the layout management and some of the patches.I'm a newbie so my perception about dwm maybe wrong.

All the WMs o_O must have been nice / painful / daunting / fun :D

Currently trying to figure out whats wrong with my tmux, i get this gap issue in the input lines which screws up ssh sessions and mostly very annoying.

Shocker / Compliment: I have to say you guys have been VERY Welcoming and helpful, i will mark this day / thread / people who responded :')

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:53 am

Dwm's config file is not quite evil enough to be very hard to use, even I can change dwm.

Just have fun and try something, it will change something, and you will figure it out...

Just remember to get the source file, and build it, and don't use debians package, as you can not change that.

harveyhunt
Haxxor

Unread post by harveyhunt » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:27 am

pidsley wrote:Welcome to the grill. Step one: don't worry about annoying questions. Step two: get rid of #! and get a bbq spin running. Step three: get rid of i3 and use a real WM. ;)
i3 is a real wm. :'(

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:39 am

Good morning and welcome to the grill Mr Stark!

I am sure you will learn more in a month here than in a year at CERTAIN OTHER DISTRO FORUMS ;)
You get my blessing. Have fun and be yourself :)
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:11 am

Welcome Tony.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:05 am

rust collector wrote:Just remember to get the source file, and build it, and don't use debians package, as you can not change that.
...well, not exactly.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get source dwm
Will bring in the debian tarballs, which can then be extracted and you can change all of it that you want before building. This is sort of redundant, though, as you can get the 6.0 source directly from suckless with

Code: Select all

wget http://dl.suckless.org/dwm/dwm-6.0.tar.gz
Don't be scared. Build it, try it out, and if you have questions just ask.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

paolo
Head Banger

Unread post by paolo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Hello Stark !
Dell Latitude C640 - CPU P4 2GHz - RAM 1,5 GB - made in 2002 - I'm in the Manjaro-i3 land now :)

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:29 pm

@rust collector yeah, i guess just need to play with it long enough to understand the syntax.

@harveyhunt +1 been using i3 for over a year until i saw the container management of dwm and some nice patches.Don't get me wrong i really like what i can do with i3 but i can't get better container management, and the marking feature is nice but its temporary.

@machinebacon Thanks i really appreciate that.All the hard-work you guys put into BBQ is just phenomenal,just another level B)

@GekkoP Thanks you guys are awesome and really nice and welcoming. :D

@DebianJoe Yes i have already cloned their repo and messing around with the code, taking a quickie for Git, and thanks i will annoy with questions when i'm stuck ;)

@paolo hey how you doing ?

Got Cream I AM IN [strikethrough]CANDY[/strikethrough] BBQ LAND. Thanks to everyone for the effort.Really clean / epic work.

RapemyX is next! B)

P.S. Is it a good idea to learn C while i'm learning C++ ?

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:17 pm

^ C is always good.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:27 pm

GekkoP wrote:^ C is always good.
Nothing against C :) , but is it going to be alright learning two programming languages at the same time / day / week / month ? :D

I can't ditch C++ as its compulsory ( made by school and those profs. force borland down my throat ).

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:04 pm

When I was a kid, we had to learn French and English as foreign languages the same time (not that my French *language skills* are any good today), which wasn't a problem either. I even think it's better than learning just one, because the characteristics of one can help you to understand the other one better.

So yeah, why not. Or as the Chinese say: "No zuo no die. You can you up - no can no BB" (happy googling!)
..gnutella..

harveyhunt
Haxxor

Unread post by harveyhunt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:56 am

stark wrote:
GekkoP wrote:^ C is always good.
Nothing against C :) , but is it going to be alright learning two programming languages at the same time / day / week / month ? :D

I can't ditch C++ as its compulsory ( made by school and those profs. force borland down my throat ).
I would say that some C knowledge is going to be very helpful when learning C++. You don't always need C++ for everything. :-)

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 am

@machinebacon Alright then, thanks for filling in some confidence and good quote i'll add the english meaning to my sig :D.

Is K & RC ok or should i head for this http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book which teaches C by rectifying the code in K & RC ?

@harveyhunt I agree with you and C has better practical uses than C++ but in the so called "Professional World" people smirk at enthusiasts thinking they are practically ahead ( well maybe financially ) but very few enjoy coding and make something practically useful out of it.

P.S If there was a wm with container management and hackability of DWM , easily configurable as i3 and fvwm's eyecandy ( i like that desktop pager ) what would it be ? :D

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:06 am

stark wrote:Is K & RC ok or should i head for this http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book which teaches C by rectifying the code in K & RC ?
K&R is holy scripture. Eventually, you'll want to have covered both, but K&R is a good starting point, IMHO. Don't get wrapped up in the details, but rather learn to swim before over-analyzing the backstroke/butterfly.
stark wrote:in the so called "Professional World" people smirk at enthusiasts thinking they are practically ahead...
The line between the 'professional world' and 'enthusiasts' is not quite as clear as you appear to believe. ;)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:31 am

^ what Joe said.
Do K&R first, because 'the hard way' will take you back into its code at the end.