After a few burned steaks, I've finally got my grilling down

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: After a few burned steaks, I've finally got my grilling

Unread post by simgin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:08 am

We salute you general and stand ready for action :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

clarjon1
Troll

Unread post by clarjon1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:15 am

No more sid-based spins? That's a bit of a shame really, because I wanted to come try something with Sid for it's base.

What will it be based off of in the future? I like my cutting-edge stuff...

Edit: Oooh, i see. I didn't process the full sentence the first time around. So it'll be based on itself, gotcha~ That's a lot of packages to keep up with, I eagerly await to see how well that big grill-fest will turn out!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:04 pm

There'll be two bases, one is Sid base with a very light WM and build tools, and one independent base without predefined package manager apart from git. We have covered everything and the kitchen sink with Sid already, so it's time for something new to play with. :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 pm

this is the thing: the BBQ doesnt cater to anybody in general, only to things specific. so, to keep with the analogy: even though a (faux) Big Mac might be popular with a bunch of people, we'd rather roast specialty dishes that are interesting.
what this effectively means is that whenever something has been roasted too often (and thus starts to attract people because of popularity), the griller's interest is fading because it's been done before. so we move to something new and exciting.
those who still want their Big Macs (or whatever) can either get them somewhere else (Siduction, for example, gives you proper Sid-shit) or roast their own. yet if you write your own WM (like Opossum), you can bet that to be interesting enough to make it into a spin.

that's what i mean when i say that the BBQ doesnt cater to anybody in general.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:40 pm

^ Roald McDonald :D
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:33 pm

^now, that is funny.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:54 am

obviously when i say "we", i dont mean myself, as i am still on the same setup i have been on for years - so, Roald McDonald indeed :) however, i enjoy metaphores and philosophy ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.