After a few burned steaks, I've finally got my grilling down

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
clarjon1
Troll

After a few burned steaks, I've finally got my grilling down

Unread post by clarjon1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Hey guys! New user to LinuxBBQ here!

I've been using Linux for at least a decade now, it's getting harder to keep track.

I started my adventure with linux when my highschool tech teacher handed me a Knoppix LiveCD. From that CD, I've tried many different distros, such as DSL, PuppyLinux, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, Mandriva, Linux Mint, and probably a couple of others I've forgotten about. Last night, around 3AM, I had the brilliant idea to try out a distro a friend recommended me. I was enticed by the awesome website design, and the lovely amount of BBQ puns on the wiki, so I donwloaded and burned a disc, rebooted, and tried to install the AMD64 KDE release.

I loaded the image to ram, was impressed by the speed of KDE, went to run the install command as per the wiki and.... Ah. No gksudo. Makes sense, it is kde. Ah. No kdesudo. That's fine, I'll just user regular sudo... Ah. Bugger. The installer script was complaining that there was a missing directory in /usr/lib or /usr/share/lib, i can't quite remember due to my tiredness.

So, I hopped back over, grabbed a different ISO. I know, I'll grab the most popular one according to sourceforge! Heh, bdsm is an amusing release name. Burn this to disk, log in, run the installe-- wait, no, same error. Again, missing directory. Ohhhh... kay. Hm. This BBQ did not want to start for me.

So I installed Synaptic, and did some searching. I found a package that looked promising -- bbqtools-basic. I install it, run bbqinstaller, and was greeted by something a LOT simpler than the wiki told me to expect. By now, I was feeling like Homer Simpson did when he tried to put together his BBQ pit.

But, that installer was enough to get this BBQ up and running. Got my WM/DE of choice setup, the packages I need for my job as a web technician installed, and I'm up and grilling. Mmm, smells fantastic.

I hope I can bring my years of Linux knowledge and experience to help out around here. I've been doing my best to give back to the community since day one, lurking in places like ##Linux and of course the support channels of whatever I happen to be using. I hope you won't mind my Canadian grilling style -- I'll try my best not to make the maple syrup sauces cause too much smoke!

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Re: After a few burned steaks, I've finally got my grilling

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Welcome to the grill, clarjon1 B) Glad to hear you were able to get the hidden installer up and working :D It certainly sounds like you have years of expertise to share with community... A fish roaster, eh? Sounds delicious!

EDIT: I'm really digging the new avatar...
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

clarjon1
Troll

Unread post by clarjon1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!

If you liked my new avatar, I think you may enjoy the link in my signature ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Welcome to the grill. Roast on and have fun.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:08 pm

For future purposes:

There are really 2 points of interest when choosing an iso for install if you're looking for an easy transition, age and complexity. Practically speaking, when an iso hits the servers...it is seldom if ever revisited or patched. Due to the updating and upgrading of Sid on a multiple times a day basis, the further from 'right now' an iso was uploaded, the more diffs have happened, and the less likely to survive a full dist-upgrade the image has. So, the easiest way to get a base BBQ up and running is to grab the most recently uploaded file and modify it (roast your own, so to speak) as you deem fit.

The complexity part is the same concept, just a different direction to take. Over the last 2 weeks, I've gotten images from both RSI and Martini installed and upgraded without issue. RSI is SUPER simple, so with less packages to start with, the image stands a better chance of surviving the upgrade even if it's been a longer time since it was minted.

Glad to hear that you got your particular setup as you want it, and wish you happy hacking. For what it's worth, "bbqinstaller" is the most recent (and trustworthy) install script on any new release, and should be included in anything released in the past year or so, at least...on the new Debian-based releases.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:20 pm

welcome clarjon, yes we need a wiki update...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

clarjon1
Troll

Unread post by clarjon1 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:29 pm

Hmm, I didn't really get that feeling from the installer, DebianJoe. There were very few options, it was fragile, and broke when I tried to tell it not to format my existing /home partition, and to just mount /dev/sda6 as home. I'd have much preferred to use the standard debian installer over this one, but it got the job done! Glad I know my way around fstab, as to prevent nuking my /home partition, I had to tell it not to use a /home, then add it to fstab manually.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:35 pm

yup. ^ I think it may say that.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:38 pm

@wux. I'll try to knock out a basic "How to install this shit: baby's first borkage" guide on the wiki later...or, I'll get distracted and end up just pasting a bunch of ASCII art in there. :)

@clar: One of the installer scripts is right on Bacon's github. Feel free to make changes as you see fit. Hell, he even accepts pull requests, and nude pictures of obese women wearing nurse outfits if you so desire. ;)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Welcome to the grill clarjon1, just boast your roast and all will be cool.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:03 pm

@Joe, sweet - if you don't I will. :) ASCII art is always a bonus.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 am

scrot or it didn't happen ... and welcome!

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:43 am

Welcome to the grill!

Next year there'll be no more 'bbqinstaller' scripts and no more Sid-based spins, so enjoy the last foul smell ;)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Wow that sounds like ??????? curiosity!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:01 pm

welcome!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:20 pm

vic wrote:Wow that sounds like ??????? curiosity!
Briefly: for Sid, we'll only have two base releases in two architectures (486 and amd64), probably some special flavours every now and then (I will definitely keep the Emacspeak spins and hopefully we can upgrade Cream sometime next year), but most importantly there'll be a new BBQ base which is not based off another distro. We'll make this an official announcement with all details sometime in December :)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Sounds awesome, exiting stuff indeed. And if I flunk totally I can just sit back twiddle my thumbs and look at silly ass youtube videos from my Unity lts. :D Sorry for derailing your thread clarjon1.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:00 pm

^ I like the way you think, vic :D
machinebacon wrote:but most importantly there'll be a new BBQ base which is not based off another distro.
Wildly salivating, I anxiously await the arrival of such a delicious sounding roast with a fork in one hand and a knife prepared in the other B)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:04 pm

That sounds fantastic MB. BFS = BBQ From Scratch :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:11 am

^ Kind of :) The BBQ's motto for 2015 is

"This is a computer, so please treat it like that." :D
..gnutella..