Malt and grain

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Malt and grain

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 pm

All you Whiskey or Whisky experts, drunkards, alcoholics, beer-fetishists, you are invited to exchange your experience, give recommendations or write a review, all about the 'liquid gold' (or 'horse urine') ;)

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Malt and grain

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:48 pm

just got a bottle of Elijah Craig. Cork top!

cheers! taste review to come later

Work hard; Complain less

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:17 am

Isle of Arran - Got some from the brewery on Arran a couple of months back (drank of course)

And now: Nikka from The Barrel
...oh.

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Got a bottle of Balvenie for Christmas off my mum. Nearly all gone now, but it is a lovely soft tipple. I much prefer peat-free whiskies. The 3 that I have listed are peat-free. A strong peated whisky- Bells- is the first alcoholic drink I tasted. I stole a tiny bottle from the cupboard when I was a kid and remember my face going totally red, my eyes burning. Other grounding experiences with the stuff was in my teens. Always peated. Nearly always ended up badly. I started drinking them again last year. I prefer a nice single blend of high quality stuff, though that Nikka from The Barrel, which is a Japanese blended whisky is nice.

It's Friday. Going to crack open a beer. Wait for the release of 'Proof' (a coincedental mention in a whisky thread) and probably have a couple of glasses of Balvenie later on (during installation).
...oh.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Haha, you are the first to notice the connection 'proof' vs 'proof' ;)

Bless you :)
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Depends a great deal on what you like. Many people swear by Isley or Highland whiskies, with the stong peat/smoke/salt taste. Good, but they tend to taste like jodium, like medicin - place your joke here ;-)

I prefer the more fruit-like, "lighter", aromatic whiskies......

Best way to find out is visit a whisky festival. I visited 2 of them. You pay 25 euros entrance (that is 30 US dollars I think) you get a small glass and you may taste what you want. Only for the really expensive stuff (say 200 euros for a bottle) you must pay a few euros per glass extra, the rest is all included.

Your wife/gf/husband/bf may tell you to sleep on the couch that night, because you will smell godawful.....

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm

I tend to want to experiment and not be too traditionalist. Japanese whiskies are a good example. I've only had a few, but they have been very nice. I'm no conosieur either; my tastes are more because of bad memories rather than something I have acquired through a 'true' sense of taste. I do like the 'toffee nose' some have, but again the whole class, cultural capital thing that gets implicated becomes quite annoying. I like getting a bit pissed. I like it if that stuff tastes nice :)

Drinking some Hoegarden at the moment. The Balvenie or a nice bitter ale next.

A festival does sound good. Not sure how long I would last...
...oh.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Guys you make me want to try some whiskey though I never drink. When I hear things like "fruit-like" or "toffee nose" -- reminds me of pipe smoking :D

Potato, where are you from? (because you mention Euros)
..gnutella..

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 pm

@machinebacon: The Netherlands. Think, the Scottish climate, without the whiskey :-) We do have some nice other liquors though.....

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:14 pm

@Potatohead: oh, sie kommen aus Holandia? warum haben sie das nicht erder gesagt? da sind mehr Holandischen menschen jetzt hier! das geht eine tolle geburtnis willen werden sallen wurden!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 pm

@rhowaldtz: What does actually "afgekankerde tyfushoer" mean? :D
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 am

@bacon: it is a pretty weird word, 'afgekankerde'. it isn't really something that is actually existent. however, with a little imagination, you could make something of a meaning out of it. of course we all know that 'kanker' simply means 'cancer', and 'gekankerde' means 'cancered', 'af' means 'off'. we use 'hij is van het treinhuis af gekankerd', which translates as 'he fell off the train house'. 'kanker' is in this sense meant as a verb, 'to cancer', is to fall. we also got 'pleuren', which is from the disease 'pleuris' and 'tyfen', which comes from 'tyfus'.
'to cancer', or 'kankeren', can also be used when saying 'hij loopt te kankeren', which translates as 'he is busy cancering'. in this case, it means he is speaking angry words on something (if you just missed the train you start cancering on the train, like 'speaking on a subject' but 'cancer on a subject').
so, our 'kanker' is a lot like the English 'fuck', in the sense that it can be used in a variety of creative ways. 'afgekankerde' then means something like 'who fell off something'.

a 'tyfushoer' is easy though. Tyfus is a disease (see above also), and 'hoer' simply means 'whore'. So, when you say 'afgekankerde tyfushoer', you'd say something like 'tyfuswhore who fucking fell off a fucking thing', or something. pretty nonsensical, if you ask me. better just go with 'verkankerde tyfushoer', which means 'fucked up tyfuswhore', where 'fucked up' is like you are fucked, non-sexual. this is a third meaning for 'kanker', you can say 'ik ben naar de kanker' (i am to the cancer/i am cancered), which simply means 'i am fucked up'. a situation can also be cancered, in which case that situation is fucked up.

hope you don't regret asking :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:02 am

No, I don't regret it. Actually I hoped you would say the word "off" - because it was exactly the 'af' that made me think - in German it is 'ab' (also off), so the same like in "abgefuckt" (translates roughly to "in a bad condition" )

I guess this is once again an overlap in the two languages ;)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am

the German 'ab' translates to 'op' in Dutch. however, in the context of saying 'abgefuckt', that would be something like 'fucked up' in English, and it would be 'opgefokt' in Dutch (we write 'fok' instead of 'fuck', sometimes). the German 'auf' is the Dutch 'af'. so you'd get 'aufgefuckt' when you translate 'afgekankerd'. maybe now you see why the word is kinda weird.
however, it would then become 'opgekankerde tyfushoer', which would be slightly less weird. in this case, 'opgekankerd' doesn't mean 'fucked up' but 'fucked off', as in 'fuck off!', go away. so translates to 'typhoid whore that went away'. still kinda weird. like i said above, the Dutch way of saying 'abgefuckt' would be 'verkankerd', or 'cancered', so 'cancered typhoid whore' is the most correct way of translating.

i think this entire 'ab' and 'auf' and 'op' and 'af' thing might be another one of those weird German-Dutch translation illogicalaties, just like 'mehr' being 'sea' in while the Dutch is just like the English, 'zee', and the German 'see' being a lake, which is 'meer' in Dutch. they're inconveniently switched around. now where in the development of our languages did that happen? :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Meer, yes ;)

Though, remember that See has two articles: die See (as in "auf hoher See", from Germanic: saiwi) standing for the Meer-kind of ocean (from Latin: mare), while der See is a lake (as in Latin: Lac). The german word "die Lake" is a salty fluid used to pickle or conservate food. It stems from "die Lache" which is something like a puddle. In different regions of German, people refer to an ocean as "See", but to certain lakes as "Meer". So it is not really a 'golden rule of thumb'
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 pm

ah well, remember i only got German in school, and other than that from a friend who enjoys his Falco - Jeany and Hitler-imitations. so i was always thought it was merh and see everywhere, but it is good to hear the Germans aren't as silly all over the country ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:05 am

Reviving old threads is regarded as necro-bumping.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm

thanks for necrohumping.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Extending the topic to beer, btw :)
..gnutella..

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:07 am

I brew my own. Just trying to get the controls to work with Linux.