New Year's computer resolutions?

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
pidsley
Hermit

New Year's computer resolutions?

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:29 pm

I know New Year's resolutions are usually stupid shit like "be nicer to everyone", but I still tend to take stock and make plans for the new year. I'll share mine, and I'd like to hear yours. Specifically, do you have any computer-related plans?

My plan, to use terms familiar with pipe smokers, is to "go deeper, not wider" -- I'd like to focus on a few things, rather than many, and to learn them better. I'd like to explore zsh from principles (rather than other people's configs) to see what it can really do for me, and explore bash and C more deeply. I'm also done distro hopping and window mangling, and hope to learn more about the inner workings of my systems.

What are your hopes and dreams for next year?

dkeg
Configurator

Re: New Year's computer resolutions?

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:18 am

Sounds like a good resolution, and definitely attainable. For me, I think most of my resolutions are more non-computer based. Of course I still want to learn and post useless scrots, but I don't have anything as expansive as your items.

I'd like to continue my growth at work, and continue improving on my skills there; how we can better utilize our wheelhouse of technologies and integrate them. I also may be going for my PMP this year as well. Depends. I guess those are somewhat computer based.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:33 am

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:01 am

No computer resolutions - except, that I hope not to buy another computer next year :)

To be honest, I am totally fed up with the BBQ and all that shit. It's no fun anymore. Just coming here for the bitches and the /dev/null and some scrots. Gotta take a long break, or even leave the project. Gotta make a decision this week.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:17 am

machinebacon wrote:Gotta take a long break, or even leave the project. Gotta make a decision this week.
I support the long break decision; but please don't leave the project -- just do something fun. That is my goal as well.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:26 am

No computer resolutions, really. Computers are a tool to use for specific tasks, and I will use them for whatever tasks are needing accomplished, no more, no less. It's been nice to NOT be behind the computer as much as previously. I will instead focus on what things I can do outdoors. I may become more active in my profession by visiting the prepress forums more, sharing my knowledge and such.

http://printplanet.com/

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:59 am

pidsley wrote:This? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_M ... ofessional

Looks useful for your job,
Yes, that's it. Work will pay. I'd take a week long course, with the test on the 5th day.
machinebacon wrote:No computer resolutions - except, that I hope not to buy another computer next year :)

To be honest, I am totally fed up with the BBQ and all that shit. It's no fun anymore. Just coming here for the bitches and the /dev/null and some scrots. Gotta take a long break, or even leave the project. Gotta make a decision this week.
Well fuck man, that sucks. Follow pids' advice; take a breaker man.

Work hard; Complain less

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:41 am

^^^^ seeing something like what Bacon said makes me pretty sad. but MB, BBQ won't be fun without you anymore ....
rice no more.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:49 am

^ this. Would be a tragedy to lose you, MB. I do understand if you need a break from the project, though. Everyone needs one of those once in a while :)

As for a resolution, I resolve to follow pidsley's resolution. Deeper, not wider. I understand the basics of quite few systems and I am able to use several editors on the surface, but I am not able to go into the inner workings. I would like to be able to work on my Emacs-fu and bash skills using the resources listed in other threads, while also trying to juggle that with my school; I didn't do so fantastically academically last semester and I will need to put my nose to the grindstone there, too :/ I think that I will primarily focus on Debian, and especially securing my Debian boxes; I'm sure any 14 year old l33t hax0r could break into my systems.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:47 am

TBH: I'm totally burned out as well. Went to mention this in a few different spots and ended up just deleting the post, but really, I'm still here because I like the people. The grand truth is that Linux has stopped being fun for me. I had rather install a LTS of some kind, set it up one time how I like it, and then just use it to accomplish something useful. I'm worn out from extra work, and coming home to deal with more troubleshooting to make something that nobody really will even care about just doesn't seem like fun anymore.

I will say that I've learned more since starting out here than I would have ever imagined and I really appreciate all that you guys have taught me or at least pushed me to learn on my own. I'm mid-break right now, and will get back into it only if I find myself missing banging my head against a table over problems that I have made for myself.

Enjoy your time MB. Zarathustra knows I will.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:24 am

I will go Debian stable mostly, there is no more time left for "other cool stuff". Life has been extremely busy lately and I see no change in that pattern. Maybe it is some kind of distroxhaustion. :)
Will probably try to better myself on a more basic level, more in line with what is possible with the everyday schedule...or something. I do not know, we will see. And baconman...just do what is cool for you, here there is nothing but "love". :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:01 am

Funny how my new year, computer-related resolutions follow the "go deeper, not wider" line Pidsley mentioned.

I have too many projects ongoing at the moment. Couple that with work and me being in charge of Festival Alto Vicentino and yes, it is a wonder I am still sane.

I'm losing the ability to stay focused on what I am working on. Joe knows what I mean, we chatted about that a while ago. I got way too many test machines and the work for the Linux Day 2014 just proved to me that few here in my town really care about Linux and FOSS.

Then I got Clojure, Common Lisp, Scheme and Emacs Lisp around. Been trying to work on an web application for my business but I am so behind the modern standard of web development I'm struggling to keep up. Hard times for a computer geek, for sure.

Rant aside, I plan to focus on Clojure. I want to get good with it and be able to build that damn web application.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Same as pidsley mentioned and joe and bacon advised "Learn one thing and learn it well" though sometimes I might take a break from that ;)

@bacon As everyone mentioned, take a break as long as you need but don't abandon us. Sure, change the base from unstable or even debian to something that's doesn't require too much effort to maintain. The grill is nothing without its Chef! We all need to recharge our batteries at some point :)

Just turn down the flames for a while and walk away till you start missing it and come back with a higher spirit and a new sauce that will surprise everyone :D

Last edited by stark on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:05 pm

stark wrote: @bacon As everyone mentioned, take a break as long as you need but don't abandon us.
Just turn down the flames for a while and walk away till you start missing it and come back with higher spirit and a new sauce that will surprise everyone :D
I couldn't have put it better myself, stark. And the same goes for DJ, too :) Feel free to step away from the grill for a refreshing hiatus, go visit your harems (they were asking about both of you when I visited them), and refocus. Switch the base to whatever you all want, if that will make everything more stable if you do feel the need to step away... Cheers!
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:27 pm

The new year won't have to do with anything computer related for me. It will be as usual, trying to terminate my thesis. But I will be doing music and a lot of outdoor activities, especially biking and running.

Sorry to hear that Bacon. What the others said, take a break, enjoy life without roasting some special spin.

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Well, it's not really a New Year resolution, because I just got it for Christmas, but I wanted to try an SSD. Harvey Hunt helped me choose a Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB. I installed it physically the day after Christmas, and I think I installed Arch onto it the same day. In the long run, it's no different, except for being much faster. But that is a cool experience.

Otherwise, I don't have much planned. I guess I'm still too focused on configuring Arch, again. Maybe I'll think of something.

Tim
Last edited by RandomCharacter on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

harveyhunt
Haxxor

Unread post by harveyhunt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:20 am

My New Year's PC resolution is to try writing some stuff in assembly language and to work on some new projects - I think it's time to have a break from writing desktop stuff and try something completely different and new. :-)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:46 am

Dr_Chroot wrote:Feel free to step away from the grill for a refreshing hiatus, go visit your harems (they were asking about both of you when I visited them), and refocus.
Joe's harem:
joesharem.jpg
Bacon's harem:
baconsharem.JPG
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:17 am

^ Now this is why we love you Jules, because you do things we would never expect :D Kudos to you mate, you are a true hardcore *nix guy! But please take a break, you have been 24/7 for too long. And so have many of us. We are only human.
As Pidsley said, some of us will dig deeper, without using buckshots. Focus focus focus.
I personally will install a stable system for the first time in ages, and start focusing on my hobby, which i have neglected for to long :( Python 3, and then some C++ .
Apparently MATE here I come (btw gtk4 will be backwards compatible)

cheers guys

simon

Ps: since Bones is back, I might try to install OpenBSD again ;)

Love you all! Happy New Year!
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:21 am

LOL @ Harems. In either case, it takes a lot of man to satisfy them.

(Tell a man who's into 90lbs Asian girls that you like a little meat on a girl, and he never lets you live it down....)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC