Would like to ask about GPT/UEFI fellas and fellettes.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bizcuit
Gangbanger

Re: Would like to ask about GPT/UEFI fellas and fellettes.

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Nm ... again forget I asked.
Last edited by bizcuit on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Nm ... forget I asked.
Last edited by bizcuit on Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:13 pm

FWIW, there was a thread on /g/ about three weeks ago in which Anon discussed Microsoft's interest in FLOSS. He was concerned that they might possibly try to get their grubby little hands into some of the larger projects and attempt to woo GNU/Linux users over to their rumors of a commandline package manager. But then, just when it looked like the thread was kill, Anon made the claim that he works with MS and that he had heard that they were making moves to lock bootloaders so as to prevent GNU/Linux users from making their box usable. From there on out it digressed into a Thinkpad General thread. That would be sad if such a catastrophe occurs, but then again, it would perhaps encourage users to move towards supporting Thinkpads more whole-heartedly. I don't know exactly how I feel about Microsoft, as I have to use Windows for some school software, and I did not exactly like the idea of adding VBox/Wine bloat to my BBQ installs.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Blame the programmers rather than the operating system developers :)

If programmers use C or C++ instead of VisualBasic and C# or whatever fuck they have grown up with we wouldn't have the 'problem' of running multiple OS on one machine.

The question is rather: why dual-boot? Why using something you don't like or agree with (I am not pointing at anybody here, just generally asking). You can say, of course:

- my job wants me to use it
--> you've chosen the wrong job :D

- I want to play PenisHead2014
--> play TuxOnIce!!!1 :D

- M$doze should not infest my computer
--> don't install it

- systemD stinks
--> see above

So basically it all boils down to *you pick your poison*. There's no need to even own a computer.
Use an Android tablet.

- "But it is infested by Guugel!"
--> see above

- "I'd rather buy a Mac"
--> see above

:D

first world problems discussed on a third-world distro forums :D
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

^ loving it.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:46 pm

bizcuit wrote: PS, though am surprised ya'll aren't the least bit curious.
Nope, not the least bit curious. I'm also not curious about what being poked in the eye with a sharp stick feels like.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:11 pm

^ i am, but that doesn't mean i'm gonna try :) - i'd rather rationalistically approximate the idea to save myself unpleasant troubles :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 pm

As has been mentioned in this thread ( well more than once.) People who are exclusively using opensource and Nix are good to go. Many, many, manyyyyyyy distro's installers can no doubt handle GPT-UEFI almost as if it's ole mbr-bios. Outside a few minor glitches, like disabling secure-boot if it's enabled default in UEFI. Also a wee bit of learning, if say someone wanted to be confident in multi-booting a crapton of distros on the system.

The installation process would/should pretty much be same as always ( for the most part). How exactly that jibes with getting poked in the eye beats me, shrugs. Though if you'd rather confine yourself to use of outdated hardware perpetually, hey nobody is asking you to change your mind.

Again ... whatever works for ya ... does. Shrugs. :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:32 pm

You expressed suprise that bacon and I weren't curious about GPT/UEFI. Both of us explained why we are not interested. Please don't make value judgements about that lack of interest. I personally don't see my intention to use "outdated" hardware "confining" in any way.
bizcuit wrote:Plus biz might need ya's to save my arse, if I get it wrong and need help darn it !
You's lookin' in the wrong cottonfield, massa'

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 pm

machinebacon wrote:Blame the programmers rather than the operating system developers :)

If programmers use C or C++ instead of VisualBasic and C# or whatever fuck they have grown up with we wouldn't have the 'problem' of running multiple OS on one machine.

The question is rather: why dual-boot? Why using something you don't like or agree with (I am not pointing at anybody here, just generally asking). You can say, of course:

- my job wants me to use it
--> you've chosen the wrong job :D

- I want to play PenisHead2014
--> play TuxOnIce!!!1 :D

- M$doze should not infest my computer
--> don't install it

- systemD stinks
--> see above

So basically it all boils down to *you pick your poison*. There's no need to even own a computer.
Use an Android tablet.

- "But it is infested by Guugel!"
--> see above

- "I'd rather buy a Mac"
--> see above

:D

first world problems discussed on a third-world distro forums :D
Wish this was voiced more in the GNU/Linux community, MB. As you said, if an OS bothers you so much, why use it? There are viable FLOSS alternatives for every program under the sun. Heck, with the porting of Steam to the *nix community, there has been no need for pretty much any portable gaming system. Unless, of course, you like to rice Windows; then that belongs to a (masochistic) class in itself. Slartie should do podcasts, and you should be the periodic guest speaker :D You have quite a bit of wisdom consolidated in a single person, a very valuable quality indeed.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:37 pm

Well Pids ... any chance ya could point me to the right cotton field fellow nixer ? Cause it's becoming real clear, real quick I am in fact in the wrong friggin place. Sheesh, though equally clear, asking the wrong person, shrugs. This has got to be a record, terminal burnout in 5-6dys. Whoooeeeee. Also yeppers, looks like I was in fact GROSSLY mistaken about many things and/or people. Ah ... oh well. That's life right, so more shrugs.

Dang it, hate when that happens. Vll! :)