TV series

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
vic
Godot

Re: TV series

Unread post by vic » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Finsihed with "Les Revenants" yesterday. Creepy shit! Netflix has made an american version, probably without the bare skin scenes ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 am

Almost done with season 2 of The Wire: oh, how I love Bunk.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:21 am

There was a new episode of Dig. Looking to check it out tonight.

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:20 pm

The Wire: a bunch of episodes from season 3 and they're still holding up wonderfully. Why have I missed this show for so long? Shame on me.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Still catching up on Dig on episode 4 now... extremism is scary.

Started watching Daredevil on Netflix the jury is still out after a couple episodes.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:12 pm

I am glad you like it Gekko. I thought the same because I saw it very late, too.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 pm

^ Well, I am still at the beginning of season 3 but so far I can firmly say it has become my favorite TV shows. Ever. Period.

I like everything in it.
Since you know how picky and annoying I could be when it comes to cinema/series, that statement should be enough to understand my love for The Wire.

But if you need my reasons:

- characters are so beautiful I can hardly think of one portrayed in amateurish way. Series is so good in laying down the ground rules and then slowly build upon them without losing focus on what matters. Which is not the main events, but the single stories around every character. This makes everyone count, even if he/she lasts just one episode;
- because of that, plot can deliberately take its own, fascinating pace. Events happen in the background while you watch ordinary people stories. Things happen, and you only get it when the characters turn to those things. This does not often happen in cinema, I didn't expect to find it in a TV series;
- the attention to language is mesmerizing: I know it is not Italian, but the language being that deep in Baltimore and Afro-American English culture makes the show local and global at the same time. In my mind I can easily transpose all of that in my own country. I probably failed to explain this aspect, but I can't think of better words right now;
- music raises up from the scene instead of being the usual soundtrack/score: a detail that could tell nothing to most viewers (I suppose) but to me is just as beautiful as other details.

Those are just the first ones off the top of my mind, but should be enough. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 pm

You explained that very well. Especially regarding the language, I do not want to think how people try to watch it dubbed.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:41 am

^ yep, it's been almost 10 years since I watched a dubbed film/series. Never felt happier. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:33 am

Closed season 3 of The Wire yesterday. Epic last two episodes, especially the second to last with that Leone's beginning. Wow.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:58 am

I am glad you are enjoying The Wire, GekkoP -- one series that was allowed to have a full beginning, middle, and end.

Am I allowed to enjoy Elementary? I have been watching this series since it started (and was surprised by how much I enjoy it -- it is the only network series on my DVR these days). I know Benedict Cumberbatch is all the rage right now, but I honestly prefer Jonny Lee Miller's much more damaged Sherlock.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Elementary is good. Plus it has Lucy Lieu. Should break out my LL avatar.

Finally all caught up with Dig. That is a really good show.

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Half-way through season 4 of The Wire. Withouth Avon and Stringer I thought "how will they manage to keep up?". I just have to STFU, because they did it. Greatly.
Love the focus on politics and school system, especially how everything eventually connects.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:39 pm

almost at the end of Carnivale Season 1. i understand it a lot better now than i did when i first saw it. might give The Wire another try after that... also watched all 4 leaked Game of Thrones episodes... nice :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Have started on 3rd season of "House Of Cards". Very elegant! My hope for this season is that they succeed in taking the plot more towards the politic implications instead of the crime/thriller drama.
I have had my ups and downs with this one, but the elegance, and the great soundtrack! convinced me to give it another try. So far so good. :)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Continuing to really enjoy 'Dig'. Only 2 episodes left (I guess for the season).

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:43 pm

dkeg wrote:Continuing to really dig 'Dig'. Only 2 episodes left (I guess for the season).
fixed that for you, i dont let wordjokes go to waste ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:43 pm

thanks!

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Finished Sons of Anarchy. Not sure about the ending. So far it was an interesting ride into total insanity for the main character.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:50 am

Up late last night just to get to the end of The Wire season 4. Amazing. That's it.