TV series

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: TV series

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:12 am

I'm enjoying it because I was feeling exactly like you before starting. I expected almost nothing, despite the love from some trusted film critics I follow. It's an incredibly satisfying show, and the more I'm into it the more I appreciate how they crafted all the details.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 pm

S03 is mental. In a good way.

They clearly felt free to do whatever they wanted with these characters, and decided to deep-dive into Will's and Hannibal's minds with no respect for commonalities like regular (for a series) plot development. Violence level still pretty high, but now they are playing more with my willingness to follow insanity down the rabbit hole.

Let's go, baby.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Damn, I made the silly mistake to watch The Silence Of The Lambs again boy, oh boy how incredible it is. It made me forget about the series. I have 8 episodes left, but Demme ruined it all for me.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 pm

^ :O :O :O. That is what happens.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Don't get me wrong, though, the series is good and all, and it's well worth anybody's time.

But that Anthony Hopkins, that shots between him and Foster with them looking right at the camera (Demme's trademark). Images that pierce holes through my heart, really. It's still one of the scariest films I've ever seen, because the madness feels so close.

Jonathan Demme was a maverick, switching from comedies to thrillers to dramas to documentaries. Everything with a touch of his own, always doing whatever he felt like doing. I just feel nobody behind Hannibal really can match his craftsmanship.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:31 pm

^ me too Hopkins and Foster set the bar so high.

Finished up season 2 of True Detective and I thought it was great. Hard to compare to the first season being so different but IMO it was just as good.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:37 pm

My better half loves all stuff anime, so we watched the whole Troll Hunters by Guillermo del Toro. It was not that bad. It is on Netflix.

I will re-watch Hannibal for sure.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Watching Castle Rock a new Stephen King / JJ Abrams production.

Hooked on Hannibal after all ;)
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am

Finished Season 1 of Hannibal very well done. Starting second season tonight.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Second season of Hannibal is even better, thanks GekkoP terrific series.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 pm

^ Yay! Get ready to be blasted with the third one now.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:15 pm

hehe I am only half way thru season 2, I like to them make it last, like 1 a night. Episodes 2,4,5 where almost perfect and that's not to say the other episodes weren't great.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:57 am

Watched "Dark" on Netflix this weekend. Liked it very much. Great acting, very good cast and a fascinating story. If you like your mysteries European as change from the US dominance, I once again recommend "Hotel Beau Sejour". :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm

We enjoyed Dark. More so than other shit that pretended to be good. Stranger... cough cough. :)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Dark is on my list but wasn't showing up in search I assumed Euro rights or something, I will search a little deeper in the cracks of the web.

Stranger Things I liked first season, second season only 1 episode AXED.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:36 am

Finished season 2 of Hannibal may have been the best season of any show I have ever seen, the finally just plain amazing.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I am closing in on Buffy, which despite my worst thoughts I believe is the best Whedon has ever done.

After that, I am going to revisit Miami Vice. I watched the film again a few days ago (I love it, by the way), and now I want to deep dive into what may be the only series capable of keep me and my family together on the sofa back in the day.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Firefly for me but that is my genre or Doll House which got canceled pretty quick but deserved better, neither had the longevity of Buffy or even the spinoff Angel.

I grew up in South Florida during the early 80's Vice was nostalgic. Me and and old roommate use to watch all the reruns together, they still play the reruns on some channels. I thought I saw a episode of Robert Rodriquez directors chair with Michael Mann talking about Miami Vice. Wikipedia only says "Michael Mann directed a film adaptation of the series, which was released July 28, 2006." I think there is more to it.

I have been watching old western series Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Bonanza, Big Valley, Wagon Train. Early tv mostly focused on good story telling, some of them were adapted from radio.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Firefly could've been great, but the range of themes and depth reached by something superficially teen-like as Buffy is just too hard to match for Whedon, I guess.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:22 pm

Watched two episodes of "The Innocents", doubt that there will be any more for me. Tried a Polish a serie called "Ultraviolet" that I quite enjoyed, total nonsense, but for chillin and vegetating in front of the screen it worked for me. ;)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|