TV series

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

TV series

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Since everyone but me is into TV series, a new topic is the right thing to do. Also, this one will be free of my movie rants, so be happy!

I start with my recent experience with LOST. Only 5 episodes so far, enjoying it. I don't particularly like some acting (i.e. Josh Holloway), but so far so good.

What else.
I am a huge FRIENDS and X-FILES fan. If they will keep up the good laughs of the first season, I might become a SILICON VALLEY fan as well.
I loved SPACED and TWIN PEAKS. Kind of love SCRUBS too.
I liked BREAKING BAD (not the ending) and TRUE DETECTIVE (not as much as other fans wanted me to).
I used to watch and love KNIGHT RIDER and A-TEAM as a kid. McGyver was one of my idols when I was 10.
I tried BLACK MIRROR, THE BIG BANG THEORY, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, MAD MEN and IT CROWD but didn't work for me.

bones
Clooney

Re: TV series

Unread post by bones » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:14 pm

I don't watch TV much any more, but one of my favorites from the past was Northern Exposure.

Also loved the X-Files. What was the name of the X-Files offshoot show, with the three geeks? That was kinda cool, too. EDIT: The Lone Gunman.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 pm

^ I don't even have a TV. ;)

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:36 pm

GekkoP wrote:^ I don't even have a TV. ;)
This. Me neither. I try to watch a few online, but I have a hard time finding a spot in my schedule to do so. I did like BREAKING BAD, but as with Gekko, the ending left an empty spot in my poor little heart ;) BETTER CALL SAUL is what all of my peers are raving about on social media, just started airing on 2/8/15, so I might give that a try. I did like BABYLON 5 (star trek-ish sci-fi) and MONK (police detective) but haven't watch either series through, as I usually lose interest a little into them.

DR WHO, though, is a different matter altogether. I watched Series 1 which began with the 9th Doctor (haven't watched any of the previous seasons for the '60s to the '90s) and I am now watching the 11th Doctor. Good stuff, easy to follow, freakishly devoted fanbase. Reading an introduction really helped he. This one and this one were pretty helpful.

I still prefer muh animes, though ;D (LOG HORIZON, SERIAL EXPERIMENT: LAIN, USAGI DROP, SAKAMICHI NO APOLLON, and IMA SOKO NI IRU BOKO.)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm

I watch these shows from time to time:

Archer, Arrow, Attack on Titan, Blue Bloods, Bones, Breaking Bad, Community, Cosmos, CSI, Dexter, Doctor Who, Dragonball, Elementary, Family Guy, Game of Thrones, Gotham, Hannibal, Hell On Wheels, Homeland, House of Cards, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Law & Order, Mad Men, Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Once Upon a Time, Ripper Street, Scandal, Sons Of Anarchy, South Park, Supernatural, The Big Bang Theory, The Blacklist, The Newsroom, The Simpsons, The Walking Dead, The Wire, Veep, Vikings.

I don't see a point in owning a TV when streaming services are cheap and let me choose what to watch and when I want to. I've been TV free for 10+ years now :)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:48 pm

^ I was watching Arrow for a while on Netflix, but haven't in a while.

Anyone watched these web series yet?

http://haphead.com/
http://infestwisely.com/

I have them bookmarked, but haven't got to them yet.

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:48 pm

I recently watched seasons 1-8 of the X-files, and it was great, but I just somehow can't bring myself to finish the 9th. Pretty much the same with Breaking Bad, but I stopped at season 3 I think. How I Met Your Mother was OK, didn't like the ending much. Stargate SG-1 was pretty good too.

Not really a series, but I've seen all twenty something seasons of Top Gear plus all specials. The current season (or series as them brits call it) is better than the last few ones too.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:38 pm

has anybody ever heard of Carnivale? it was weird and occult and awesome: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319969/
also, the original BBC Singing Detective is fantastic. with Michael Gambon: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090521/ - one of my favourite soundtracks ever.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Yeah, I watch a bunch, similar to everyone else, really.
Not so much now, getting into Garfield & friends with the kids at night.

A while ago I binged on all the Startreks, except the OS and voyager, but I did look at some pix of "7 of 9" :)

"Person of interest" is one US show I've not seen mentioned, I think that's pretty good, haven't seen more than Season 3, I think.
Actually good half believable tech, instead of Arrow's "There's at least a teraflop of data" kinda lost interest after that.

Interesting(ish) UK point - we have to pay the licence for a TV, even if you don't actually have a physical TV, now everything is streamed, any web enabled wifi device is potentially a 'TV' Oh even if you *only* watch 'catch up' TV ie not live you don't need one - fuck knows how one disproves never watching Live UK TV.
Around a £150 a year. :(

^ I saw the Albert Finney version, when it came out. Bit too young to get it I think, deserves a re-watch (wonder if it's on catch up) :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:55 pm

roald, I loved 'Carnivale.' Yet another series cancelled because people are too stupid to recognize quality.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Oh yes! We were watching 'Carnivale' for a while, too. Agreed, that was pretty good. Need to finish that one, really.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:56 pm

Gotham, Gracepoint, Masterchef, Blacklist. There's some others I guess.

Work hard; Complain less

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:02 am

^ Ah, I hadn't thought of shows on Food Network. MASTERCHEF is indeed good, as is CHOPPED, RESTAURANT: IMPOSSIBLE, and GOOD EATS. Good stuff :) Gives me the munchies...
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks Gekko, I almost forgot to make this thread.

X-Files was in my childhood, thought it was pretty interesting but never watched the whole thing and won't now. Childhood is another thing.
Friends is a series I truly "detest", everything sitcom is not for me anyway, especially not American.

Twin Peaks is on my list as I am a Lynch fan. Though I tried the first episode years ago and quit but I will try it again. The pace in those days was slower but so was it with The Wire and The Sopranos though the latter are different and newer.

I think Black Mirror is on my list and I guess I won't watch Big Bang as it seems to be another one of those sitcoms like How I Met Your Mother, too. I was watching the first season of Mad Men and thought it had style but the story is not for me, so I quit.

We mentioned Better Call Saul, yes, I am watching it to see if it is good.

Right now I/we (my better half is a maniac like me in this regard) are still following The Walking Dead, we love apocalyptic stuff with drama and social experiments. It reminds me of some of José Saramago's books. It has its weak spots but we like it.

Thanks Rhow for mentioning Carnivale, great show, a shame that they took it down.
wuxmedia wrote:
Interesting(ish) UK point - we have to pay the licence for a TV, even if you don't actually have a physical TV, now everything is streamed, any web enabled wifi device is potentially a 'TV' Oh even if you *only* watch 'catch up' TV ie not live you don't need one - fuck knows how one disproves never watching Live UK TV.
Around a £150 a year. :(
Same in Germany.

For everybody else, you do not need a TV to watch series, we have no TV here either, TV free since 2003. We buy DVDs, stream or just download.
pidsley wrote:roald, I loved 'Carnivale.' Yet another series cancelled because people are too stupid to recognize quality.
^ I wholeheartedly agree.

Now I do not even know where to begin.

Before I go wild about all that, the best I have ever seen is The Wire. Nothing can beat it. From beginning to end just perfect. Before I always thought Breaking Bad would have that place but the ending of it suggests that it is not on par but still Breaking Bad is one of my faves.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Like Ivanov, I am TV free (since 2004), only watching some selected documentaries if necessary online.

TV series, I like Columbo (first few seasons), Magnum PI, and some German crime: Derrick, old Tatort, Der Kommissar. Also, Aktenzeichen XY, which is more like a TV show (Germany's Most Wanted). Actually, I am quite knowledgable there :D

Newer stuff I haven't really seen because it's not easy to get in China. :)
..gnutella..

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Growing up I really enjoyed The Six Million Dollar Man
Loosely based on Marin Caidin's Cyborg Series
I can catch re-runs on the Esquire channel

-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:28 pm

One series I adore is Boardwalk Empire. In fact a lot of HBO series are good.

On the other side I am trying Sons of Anarchy because a friend recommended it. Not sure about this one. The plot is not the best but it makes addictive with every season, I am in the 4th now. Let's see how it develops.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Ivan, thanks I didn't know the Germans had a TV licence too, interesting.

Looks like I'll be looking downing and watching Carnivale then :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:29 pm

^ you shall not regret it!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Man... I already miss The Mentalist
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein