Distros of interest

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: Distros of interest

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27 am

^ there's always nixos or guixsd if you want containerized distro, with 32-bit edition.

so Subgraph.... will it be as overkill as coreOS? the latter is a huge clusterfuck of i'm not sure how many wrappers and sub-apps tied altogether, huge API, huge documentations, it is based on gentoo and the testing-ground for huge number of systemd and linux kernel devs...
rice no more.

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:03 am

^absolutely. i'm both intrigued by this type of security-based distro, and disappointed that more linuxen are moving away from 32 bit support. i'm less interested in containerized systems than security...maybe alpine.

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:46 am

i just found this one...http://obarun.org/

it appears to be Arch Linux (64 bit Archbang), with Void's runit init system, instead of systemd. it might be interesting, if it lasts.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:27 am

^ Archvortex probably knew that..
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:41 am

^^
under X server : between 150-170M of used RAM
Too heavy. ;-)

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:58 am

^^^ Obarun is a one man band, started 6-7 months ago as a learning project. He is very down to earth and VERY chatty. And it has payed off, he has learned a lot, and has contributed to others that were trying to find different ways of removing SystemD. Enough about him, I just like to see when people evolve at a high pace, and then gives back :)

There has been quite a bit of mixing Arch stuff with Void actually, sounds good, but take heed, certain Void things are apparently licensed.
Mr. Green learned that... shame, Springlinux was only alive for about a week due to it. It was a very nice spin :(
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:06 am

The thing that kept bugging me is this: They put ram usage as the main attraction, even though the same thing can be achieved via standard archlinux install with some of its systemd units disabled / masked. But i like it that they provide some systemd-free packages.
rice no more.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:15 am

Yeah, I felt bad for Kev because he was quite excited about doing a VoidBang.

There is a possibility of Eric from Obarun joining ArchBang to help with an OpenRC nosystemd release.

What about Architect Linux by CarlD for installing Arch. I've tried the last two releases and they were pretty good except I always found there was something that didn't get installed and had to go back in and fix it. Network Connection didn't install, some of the DE's had problems, etc. A couple more betas and it'll be good to go to allow noobs to install Arch without RTFM (or is that RTFABG?) and flood Newbies Corner with questions ;D
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:41 am

^^ Agreed.
Your right on the money, unfortunately, Frank, new stuff pops up and "it's low on RAM usage" good for "old hardware" selling points. It's all over the place (I feel a rant coming) Even Linux magasines use the term too much tbh.

A typical quote would be: "Here is the new Distro XXX.69, with lightning quick use of the 64bit powers that be, loads of effects ie shadows behind your wobbly windowed bloated kurva of a mother.... <------- Yup I stopped short, maybe sites and other media should too, and ofc people complaining about; man page "show me everything and the kitchen sink wm, u a-hole ". Sales p(b)itches are bloat.

Cheerio
Simon

PS. Sorry I have had a shit week as you probably would guess.
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:29 pm

i'd love to see a 32 bit Obarun, but i'm sure the 64 bit is taking quite a bit of time. i'm usually good with Architect and am interested in Arch OpenRC (i look forward to Archbang OpenRC). the damn Manjaro OpenRC installs are too effing bloated, even using a netinstall.

Eric, i tried the install and had a series of failures, which i might open up on your forum. i did eventually find answers. it seems you need to replace a few troublesome packages with new nosystemd versions. i might try again today, or end my frustration and wait for the next iso. it's a beautiful project and i love the work you've done. thanks.

frankly, if Void had a decent chess client, like SCID...or if i could get my shit together and install it from source, i'd use it for everything. maybe that's an issue i need to open on their forum.

interestingly enough, my search for Obarun led me to the linux minimal install scripts, the ones with which i believe Pidsley is always wowing us.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:43 am

sim : hahahaha exactly, but oh well.. I guess at one point, some people will eventually realized which one suits him/her-self best be it to ride in a modified honda civic that looks like bentley or in an aston martin in a body of hmmm nissan versa. :)

Archvortex : I'm tired of seeing that old man and his historical re-enactment of Nazi offensive during WW2 inside his pants. :D Make way for four legged awesomeness!

Oh wow the obarun dev came here, I sense an introduction thread coming....
rice no more.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:17 am

..gnutella..

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:39 am

Going through an LFS install is something I feel every user should do at least once. It gives some insight into how the beast operates, and at the very least a Dr. Frankenstein moment when you've bootstrapped your very own installation.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 am

^ that's right, even though the plain old 'copy-pasting those commands' doesn't *really* teach the user much. I mean, it's nice and good, but who actually checks the patches they provide? I haven't...
..gnutella..

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:13 am

Nah, LFS doesn't teach much, but people will at least know what the bare essentials are. And unless the LFS book has changed a lot, people are encouraged to use 'man' and see what the packages do, apart from the short description the book gives. As far as patches go: fuck 'em.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:16 am

Haven't read the recent books either, at least in the past the patches were quite important because of version mismatches and shit. Anyway most people quickly install something else after having 'LFS up and running'... ;D
..gnutella..

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:57 am

obarun: after a relaxing day of converting an Arch net install to OpenRC (i don't know how i did that successfully), i finally calmed down and looked over my work. as i suspected, the error was mine. i'll blame it on my blind side...my usual excuse. i had downloaded the old install disk, the link below the new one. i'll get back to you on your forum when i get time to try the new disc.

LFS...no there's something i need to try one of these days. i'd love a deeper understanding of how Linux works.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:11 pm

TriOS - Debian Jessie, OpenRC, and ZFS... from Serbia:

https://foss.rs/threads/trios-mia-openrc-zfs-rc1.3057/

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:52 pm

baconator wrote:Anyway most people quickly install something else after having 'LFS up and running'... ;D
Or you move on to BLFS, bloat it up, and then say "Aw fuck it!"

LFS ID: 25207
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:24 pm

bones wrote:TriOS - Debian Jessie, OpenRC, and ZFS... from Serbia:

https://foss.rs/threads/trios-mia-openrc-zfs-rc1.3057/
Interesting approach. ZFS and especially OpenRC. Though I have to admit that I never cared so much about server stuff and therefore ZFS.