Unread post by vic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:01 am

Release announcement for Debian 11.

https://www.debian.org/News/2021/20210814
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Distros of interest

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:03 pm

^ The upgrade paragraph is what makes Debian superior to almost any other Linux distribution. Not only that it is so explicit and really supported. It really works as advertised.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:19 am

^ It's simple stuff like that that makes me want to go back to Debian as my main OS. Not that I'm having problems with Ubuntu, but Debian does shine in that regard.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:51 am

Another note on the new Debian: just full-upgraded a buster running XFCE and other graphic paraphernalia and, again, up and running. I only
had to re-install adwaita-icon-theme because it wasn't display all the icons correctly.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:15 am

Checking out Ubuntu 21.10 live. Hmmm, not as painful as expected. ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:41 am

^ Interesting. I think I'll only jump from an LTS to another LTS from now on. Beside some minor issues with resuming from suspension with an external monitor plugged via USB-C, I have to say 20.04 is proving to be a solid experience.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:16 am

^That sounds like a very reasonable solution. Next LTS is the one coming up 22.04 if I remember the Ubuntu release orbit right? Makes me wonder if it actually is of interest for me too?

Anyway, I took the 21.10 for a (for me) long live session to kind of feel it, and damn it felt good. To my surprise it had some very convincing features, and after a while when I kind of understood how I would use it to fit my workflow I had a hard time believing it actually. Normally I just get irritated by all the "stuff" that is going on in a complete DE, but not now. Maybe I finally have come of age?

Remembered that I had an old ssd leftover that not were in use so decided to install it. The Ubuntu installer were looked the same and just did what it were supposed to do without complications. Back in my early days of Linux I always liked the Ubuntu installer because it were so simple. This time it were just the same, but it gave me a new surprise here. I could install just a basic system with some utilities and web browser. Sweet, I have no use for the games and I prefer some other applications than those that comes with the default install.

At the moment I am doing my rounds of getting it the way I want it to please me. And so far I must say that I am very pleased with it. Funny though, started out with Ubuntu 15 years or so ago, and maybe it is time to start all over again? ;D

Ok, there are things here that I have to kind of "get", but it might also be that it is things that I have no use or interest for. But so far I am convinced. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Yeah I've been daily working on Ubuntu 21.04 since the new laptop arrived and the nice things are nice but the annoying things are still annoying - like It's such a hassle to do a side by side window comparison - unless I am just assuming there isn't a nice shortcut.
For example - I often need to compare staging to live websites. Or cached and non cached sites.
In i3 I tear off one of the tabs from chome, let go... and that's done; split screen (maybe I want to swap the left with right but that's all)
But it's more complex in any floating windows manager.
Might try to get the i3 install on here a bit better.
I like the notifications and being able to click on it to take one to the app (or webpage) that notification is from.
I found most of the things I need in the taskbar available on gnome look. (world times and my current public IP)
Nothing has broken on it, which is funny I didn't quite realise that it was supposed to be the 'non-stable' version :D
the installer picked up and worked around windows with UEFI much better than previously with the Thinkpad. Dual booting is quite easy now (not that ever I do)
I haven't really found anything which I would miss going back to a super minimal default i3 install on Stable Deb to be honest. As log as curl, dig and host are working and a couple of browsers - all I need.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:47 am

I use Super-<left/right arrow> to tile the floating windows, usually.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:03 am

Yeah that does it - have to remember to halve the current browser window, then tear off the tab, then tile that one, then un-tile it to plonk it back onto the halved browser then Super up to go to fullscreen.
so it's not impossible, just more steps than i3wm ("so go back to i3 then!"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:45 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:47 am
I use Super-<left/right arrow> to tile the floating windows, usually.
Yep, that is what I do on Xfce. :)

Anyway all my shortcuts resemble most of the defaults on spectrwm or dwm with some exceptions. I can still use Xfce or even another DE and all WMs with the same shortcuts and feel at home.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:33 am

Thanks for the tip, I see now how I can use it. I ´ve always been uncomfortable about the i3 way of things and avoided them. Even when they are useful. Maybe it is time for me to try to be a little bit more open minded about it. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:56 pm

^ it's worth a shot - but you do need to know that you can change all the keybindings!

I really found my workflow of actual 8 hours working on a machine favourable to using i3.
It does take some work and I did try regolith - but I really (to get back on topic) fucking [i[hated[/i] everything they did - which again is not to say it's bad. just not in the places I wanted, nor expected, to change the config.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Although now - it depends if I'm moaning more about the lack of "sweet integration of X " Vs "sweet WM tricks and non floatie-ness"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:12 am

So how is the Gnome according to Ubuntu working out? Oh dear oh dear oh dear, it surpasses all my expectations. I am genuinely surprised of how much I actually like it. And my lack of being irritated and annoyed over different things is an even bigger surprise for me.

Maybe it is that it kind of reminds me of "Unity", which when it was released were much discussed and loathed by many. I remember that it to me came very naturally at that time and I used it for quite a while.

Most of it is in fact put together in a way that fits me well, and things just works. Tested the wireless printing function, my grocery shopping list came out at first try. No installing of extra packages, no clicking or configuration of anything.

At this point in my life, where time free to tinker is very scarce and I need to focus on real life it is a good choice. With an LTS you can chill and switch when you feel for it. Should you like to upgrade to a newer release there can be some work of course, but for me it should not take too long to cover the basics of my needs and wants.

The only question that remains now for me is, but is it cool enough? ;D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:19 am

Just found out that there are work being done on something called "Ubuntu Web Remix", sort of a Chrome OS thingy based on Ubuntu.

https://ubuntu-web.org/?fbclid=IwAR29Q4 ... jPFxlIG4ps

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-web-remix/19394

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:00 pm

Wish I had the necessary will, want and wickedness for some good ol´ tinkering. "Wintersky", new siduction release.

https://siduction.org/2021/12/release-n ... wintersky/

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:52 pm

Rolling Rhino Remix, yes, with a name like that it got to be! ;D

https://rollingrhinoremix.github.io/

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:17 am

New Ubuntu LTS is out. I might upgrade the home laptop soon, just to see what's going on.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:53 am

Yes, I will have to upgrade soon too, since I am on 21.10.

Edit; I have had a preview look on it, and it is looking good. In my very humble opinion of course.