Distros of interest

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Re: Distros of interest

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:58 pm

Firefox as a snap? Yeah, no. I'll be checking into a geriatric home by the time that launches.
Will stick to 20.04 until I find time to move to something else.

Weird how many of us, with our Sid, BBQ, GRML, Arch and BSD backgrounds have ended up with boring old stable or LTS distros.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:03 pm

^ I immediately removed the snap version and just grabbed it from the official website. KeepassXC wasn't working with the snap variant. Also, I still have some problems using the Uni VPN which needs network-manager-vpnc-gnome and it does not seem to work any more (i.e., I cannot push the Add button: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1403896 ... untu-22-04).

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:29 am

^ BTW, if someone needs it, at that AskUbuntu link I posted the solution I am using to workaround the VPN problem for now.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:37 am

^ Good you figured something out, because I wouldn't be able to help you even if I saw the question earlier. I find IPSec mystifying, and Strongswan documentation overly cryptic. I'm truly grateful WireGuard got invented.

I read that the upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 will replace your repo FF with the Snap version. In any case, it's actually not a huge deal since I use Librewolf now. When I do find time (and motivation) I'll probably take a look at what's available and so a full backup/wipe/install. I've realized the parts that take the longest time are file restorate (my /home is a mess and I don't plan on reusing it) and Firefox hardening. The latter is solved by Librewolf now, so all I need is to restore my uBlock, Libredirect and Vimium settings.

Meh, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it....

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:17 am

Upgraded to 22.04, it was a swift and painless procedure. So far? :D
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:25 am

gutterslob wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:37 am
I read that the upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 will replace your repo FF with the Snap version. In any case, it's actually not a huge deal since I use Librewolf now. When I do find time (and motivation) I'll probably take a look at what's available and so a full backup/wipe/install. I've realized the parts that take the longest time are file restorate (my /home is a mess and I don't plan on reusing it) and Firefox hardening. The latter is solved by Librewolf now, so all I need is to restore my uBlock, Libredirect and Vimium settings.
Thanks for the indirect tip: Librewolf suits me perfectly. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Weird how many of us, with our Sid, BBQ, GRML, Arch and BSD backgrounds have ended up with boring old stable or LTS distros.
Not sure about anyone else - but after getting a job with computers, I quite like to never have to do anything but hit update and not worry too much about borkage.
Also brand new bleeding edge stuff for me, well, never been much of a one for that sort of thing.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:49 am

Well boring is the new cool here. ;D

And predictable, so I can spend my time and energy on boring real life stuff. ;)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:01 pm

At least I am still using Debian and do not have to fight with Ubuntu. :) As a matter of fact, I never installed Ubuntu anymore since the BBQ or even earlier, at least not on my machines. Though I toyed with some others like Fedora and Slackware but always come back to my old used pair of socks, a bit stinky but getting the job done. But no oldstable for me, it has to be at least stable.

Btw I installed Slackware 15. It is a great release, but man, how much work it is and Slackbuilds was not up until recently. I have a spare laptop, the one where I trashed the screen, so when I am in the mood and that is very rare, I throw some Linux on it but it never sticks.

The work laptop is not going anywhere else with an uptime of more than 54 days running at one point and upgrading through whole versions of Debian releases without problems, I see no need in anything else and especially not in Ubuntu and its snaps. I already have enough snaps (sic) to get drunk if I want, also does not happen anymore.

I still wonder how Gutterslob can survive inside the Gnome desktop and by extension how you all do. :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun May 01, 2022 6:50 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:01 pm
I still wonder how Gutterslob can survive inside the Gnome desktop and by extension how you all do. :)
Frankly, as long as I got Firefox/Librewolf and tmux.... and maybe mpv and a half decent file manager (though I usually just use vifm in a term), I'm good.

Don't need anything else on a laptop at home. I'm just too lazy to fuck with desktop shit these days.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun May 01, 2022 8:30 pm

^That kind of sums it up as it is, browser, mpv, and a terminal. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon May 02, 2022 3:57 pm

To be honest now that the company gave me a laptop for work, I could have installed straight Debian on my XPS. I gave it a live spin to check what's going on and everything worked pretty much out of the box. These days Emacs, Firefox (Librewolf now), Thunderbird, Zoom and a terminal are just about the only things I use. Shit, might as well go back to Debian.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 09, 2022 8:40 am

Just found out that jammy jellyfish upgrade was a bit of a bad idea (for now at least)
https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop- ... issues/649
I take a ton of screenshots and need to scribble all over them with arrows and stuff. Have to share it out to flamshot to do that - this isn't strictly Ubuntu's fault, it brought in new gnome and wayland changes.. which weren't really super well thought out, just needs 'remember my choice/app'
and the fucking top bar - I want a bottom bar dammit :D
Think I'll try to revert to xorg and see if that fixes it for now and try and make i3 work a bit nicer on this machine.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 pm

WTAF random 'freezes' that's not cool. not hitting swap (16G RAM) and it's a not to much of a slouch 11th gen i7 machine. not cool,

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 pm

arnold
Window Manager

Unread post by arnold » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:34 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 pm
https://carbslinux.org/
That's Cem Keylan's spin on Kiss linux. He seems like a pretty good guy - that should be pretty good

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:57 pm
Shit, might as well go back to Debian.
This! Maybe?

Edit: Will give Ubuntu and 22.10 a good break first. Not sure what happened, but started to get annoyed with 22.04 and decided to continue with 22.10 instead. Reinstalled this time. Maybe Debian next year? :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:32 pm

Big shocker, but I'm using MacOS now.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:47 am

^ I will pray for you. :D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:43 am

vic wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 pm
GekkoP wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:57 pm
Shit, might as well go back to Debian.
This! Maybe?

Edit: Will give Ubuntu and 22.10 a good break first. Not sure what happened, but started to get annoyed with 22.04 and decided to continue with 22.10 instead. Reinstalled this time. Maybe Debian next year? :)
This! A while ago I had some kind of meltdown and just could not take the full DE experience of UGnome, however good and cool I really think it is. I just had had enough and needed a change to something where nothing sticks out and where there is no need for me to relate to anything.

Does this makes sense? Anyway it more or less coincided with the release of BunsenLabs "Beryllium". Tried the live session, installed it, and have just made a couple of very small changes to the default look.

Kind of a back to the future, a blissful calm and soothing experience. Probably needed it as a kind of counterweight to the struggle of the everyday life experience. Sigh. :|