Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Re: Distros of interest

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:32 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:23 am
I tried Plasma, how they love to call it nowadays and it is a lot lighter but sometimes it also depends on the distro, it won't be light at all in OpenSuse because of all the insane stuff they add there.
Yeah, OpenSuse still seems to have that habit of jamming everything in. Plus, afaik, they still default to butterface for their filesystem. Nothing against Fabio, but I don't trust butterface after that one time it lost my data. Heck, I trust Slim and its music devouring ways more than I trust butterface.

Out of curiosity, since OpenSuse was mentioned, does anyone have experience with their OBS on other distros?

pidsley wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pm
...or why i3 is so often recommended to people who want to try a tiling window manager for the first time.
I never really understood that either. Tried Sway (basically an i3 for Wayland, because I'm currently running Fedora on my laptop) a couple of weeks ago and just couldn't click with it. Personally never got the point of manual tilers. Maybe I just don't know how to use them the right way. Prefer the dynamic types like xmonad, dwm, spectrwm, etc.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:40 pm

Is i3 manual? Moreso than ratpoison (which i've never used)
I suppose you have to start with a decent list of 'floats' to make it not 100% spakky and get a warning box take up a half a screen - I've not used anything else tbh, as my user scrots will attest, and my muscle mem is alt (or win on a thinkpad as it's a better place and doesn't take up alt for bash) for wkspaces

slim. fucking hell that's going back some :D

I seem to not really need a DE these days. having the admittedly spartan life of an i3-er though I can see why.
yeah i3 for a noob is in at the deep-end. my daughter (so gen z ) brought up 6 streams (3 on each monitor) oh plus one on her phone and on one cast on the TV.... so yeah she would have enjoyed i3 (gnome doesn't snap horizontal, at least the two seconds I tried it)
Floating wms just seem stupid to me now. like it's tmux, why would I want a shitty tiny window on tmux with space all around it like I've connected on a tiny screen and forgotten to detach it? I want all windows (yes except a couple of notifications) to be all up in my screen
I think Titan uses KDE these days, he does have a monster of a machine though, I'm pretty happy to never play with KDE
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:31 am

pidsley wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pm
I never have really understood why people use awesome or i3, or why i3 is so often recommended to people who want to try a tiling window manager for the first time.
Me neither but it is popular on the internet.
Oh man, evilwm must be one of the most no-nonsense window managers ever, at least for me. Awesome and i3 are like KDE for me.

Edit: Of course, nothing against Wux. He knows his shit around i3. ;)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 am

OK, I am definitely not used to see a thread growing again and already replied earlier.

Butterface is meh. I tried once the recommendation of Suse's over-complicated installer and it suggested btrfs. One of the reasons Suse is so slow and bloated is already
because of that file system. It was a horrible performance though who knows it might fly on the new shit.
gutterslob wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:32 pm
Out of curiosity, since OpenSuse was mentioned, does anyone have experience with their OBS on other distros?
Yes. I tried it on Fedora and Debian. I was not really liking the experience. If you mean the Open Build Service? Most of the times it complained though once I installed xombrero on Debian sid from there and that worked if I am not mistaken.

I never liked OBS or the failing one click installer in OpenSuse. It only creates the illusion that you can have every package. Damn, package it already for the distro! The most confusing repo structure exists in Suse land.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:16 am

I just followed dkegs conf for i3. It's still essentially the same one from 2013 or whenever... with numix colours and a few extras. I've only ever been on a centos or Debian machine

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:56 pm

Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:48 pm

^ Congrats to our brothers. But all this focus on Plasma tires.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:52 pm

^Yes, and it probably creates a lot of fuss too.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:04 am

I see plasma about a lot, I think they have some cool 'uniting' features from what I hear - but nothing of interest for me

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:20 pm

Plasma, feature creep and on the other side you have Gnome, practicing striptease.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:12 am

ivanovnegro wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:20 pm
Plasma, feature creep and on the other side you have Gnome, practicing striptease.
That is the quote of the century man!

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:09 am

Siduction got a new look.

https://siduction.site/

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 pm

^ Cool but there are two things that do not fit in their German description. Siduction is not a real rolling release. They withheld the info about the freeze, especially right now. About being DFSG compatible, hm, I really prefer to have non-free drivers for my WiFi card though Siduction comes with non-free software by default, so it does not really comply. I guess the info is just outdated because that is a more recent development.

Edit: I already sent a reply without actually finishing it. This forum here makes it really difficult to see the difference between edit/reply but we already know that.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:49 pm

might be unpopular, but the new ubuntu 21 is really quite nice. Now I have a machine which can run it nice :)
I still miss i3 a bit. I get lost in all of gnomes swoopy menus and workspace things. but some things are very much simpler to have setup out the box - like all the media/control buttons.
IDK give me a few months and I might be back to debian stable and i3.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 pm

I can see Slackware 15 on the horizon and it might be just what I need. :) Slackware needs again some love on this board.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:02 am

New release from Siduction.

https://siduction.org/2021/07/release-n ... -2021-2-0/

And as you probably already know, Debian will release Bullseye 14th of August.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00003.html

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:06 am

^ I didn't know about the new Debian release on August (shame on me!), thanks. I'll upgrade my home server then.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:18 pm

Lol, I am out of the deb cycle at work now. I knew it was on the cards and it tends to be summer releases (I think) well then. Thank Vic!

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Debian releases faster than ever and on time, Fedora cannot compete with the new Swiss time schedule of Debian. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:34 pm

^ yes! Debian being ran by a committee as well!