At the tobacconist

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:51 pm

^ very interesting, and very nice prices too. Thanks.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Okay, after browsing (and being shocked at the prices for tobacco in Italy) I can 'recommend' these:

http://www.tabaccheriaguzzi.it/productc ... oduct=2758
http://www.tabaccheriaguzzi.it/productc ... oduct=2738
http://www.tabaccheriaguzzi.it/productc ... oduct=2396

They don't stink, are high quality, though the last one is quite sweet (but smells excellent, of Amaretto). Just an idea.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Great! I'll write them an email with those suggestions, see if I can get a lower price or something like a gift package.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Maybe they have nice pipe lighters. Maybe even for 'for free', they are quite good because they work "around the corner". Good to have IMO.

http://www.tabaccheriaguzzi.it/productc ... oduct=2241
..gnutella..

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:56 pm

I just finished a bowl of Orlik Golden Sliced in a French Gefapip rusticated Canadian and went straight into a bowl of Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake in a Savinelli 620 Classica blasted Oom Paul to compare the blends side-by-side.

A guy was just telling me he was sure they are exactly the same. While very similar, and I'd not be surprised if they are the same exact VaPer underlying tobaccos, the OGS definitely has the pronounced bergamot orange to it that LNF just doesn't have. I love them both, though. Heavy VaPer flake smoker, I am. ( I know Slartie loves OGS as well :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

machinebacon wrote:Maybe they have nice pipe lighters. Maybe even for 'for free', they are quite good because they work "around the corner". Good to have IMO.

http://www.tabaccheriaguzzi.it/productc ... oduct=2241
They answered me saying in Italy tobaccos, cigars and cigarettes cannot be delivered by mail. This is what happens when you know nothing about tobacco, pipes and cigarettes like myself. It's going to be the hardest present I've ever done.

There's another tobacconist in Vicenza that seems to be pretty popular within the small pipe-smokers community of this city. I'll check it out and let you know.

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:20 pm

I would've thought everyone smokes a pipe in Italy with all the pipes coming out of there.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:16 am

Wow, they don't deliver tobacco products by mail anymore? wtf! I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't know of own experience that they do so in Germany. Well, is it the mailing companies that are not allowed to by law, or the shops are not permitted to sell 'online'? But I tell you, quite drastic measures there. The Peterson costs 18 EUR there, in Germany (which is already relatively high-priced) around 10 EUR. I know in Ireland it is 17.50 EUR. The most expensive place for this was Hong Kong, so far, with a tin price of around 25 EUR. The Peterson I get here in China for around 8 EUR. Imported from the US, over Malaysia (IIRC). All made in Germany. Now you know how much the tax is.
..gnutella..

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:09 pm

Quite the treasure trove, this thread. Too bad I don't smoke as much as I used to. Never smoked pipe either, since I'm not aristocratic enough. Nowadays I only light up during late evenings or early mornings, just before bed, usually while having a drink (tea, beer, or something with gin in it).

Recently got into Mac Baren's Choice line. Mostly the Original blend, though sometimes I switch to the Aromatic, Cafe or Rose blends. Not as niche as most of the tobacco featured on this thread, but it's widely available here so I don't have to go hunting if I run out, though that hardly happens since even a 40g pack usually dries out before I can finish it (like I said, I don't smoke that much). The Rose blend in particular is pretty good with a Gin & Tonic, since my preferred brand of gin, Hendrick's, is infused with essence of rose petal.

For papers, I prefer ultra-thin (13gr or less) and slow burning. Absolutely hate the thicker types. I like to see the "oils" seep through the paper (possibly a side-effect from my ganja smoking days). As usual, I'm limited to what's easily available here, so it's mostly Smoking Blue/Brown or Zig-Zag 247 White. There's also this brand called Elements that has super-thin rice papers, but those aren't common here, which is a shame. Standard slim filters, since I'm a tranny now.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Finally I got something for brother-in-law. Vicenza really isn't the top in Italy for pipe smokers, I suppose. This morning I went to that tobacconist I was talking of above and though everything was way too expensive for me I had a talk with the guy there. None of the great stuff you're talking about here was available though (no Peterson, Davidoff, Mac Baren...). He just gave me three SKANDINAVIK mixture (White, Regular and Arabica). Knowing nothing, I hope brother-in-law will like it.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:53 pm

^ Ah, that's Peter Stokkebye (PS), so it's not *sooo* bad - a pipe smoker will be happy about any tobbaco he gets, really - don't worry :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:38 pm

@Slob: I know why I do not bother with aros in my pipe, it never occurred to me to buy candies to put in my RYO cigarettes. I tried but it felt unnatural.

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Started my day with old codger burley in a Dr. Grabow 1970's bent cob. The rest of the day it's Orlik Golden Sliced in a dedicated OGS pipe.

@Gekkop: not terrible tobaccos, but a real pipe shop should carry all those other blends. They're mainstays to pipe smoking. Strange that you can't phone/mail order. I'm not familiar with the area you're at in Italy, but there sure are a lot of pipe makers there is all I do know.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:23 pm

@Ivan
I can understand that. Back when I smoked regularly, I didn't like any "flavoured" blends either. Now it's different, since I just do it socially or when chilling back with alcohol at night. My explorations with gin have probably contributed greatly towards this sudden liking for aromatic blends.

Sadly, there aren't many brands of RYO tobacco available where I live. All the "speciality" pipe shops have rows and rows of pipe tobacco but only a small shelf for RYO stuff. Ordering online from overseas also seems out of the question, since they've got weird tobacco laws here. Totally abysmal!!

The only other brands of "Halfzware" I see at most shops are Drum, Bali Shag and Bison. Used to smoke Drum many gigs ago, but the quality has deteriorated over the years (it tastes too chemically these days, almost liked boxed fags) and I find it a bit harsh for my current self.

I'm trying to order some of this stuff via my local shop. Supposedly very raw and free of additives. Will post an update if/when I manage to get some.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:38 pm

@Diddy: I have the same problem in my town, tad smaller than Vicenza, the baccy shops are bad. Nowadays I just order online but at least here it is possible. My local tobacconist is only for stuff I like and know they have it.

@Slob: Interesting choices.
gutterslob wrote:All the "speciality" pipe shops have rows and rows of pipe tobacco but only a small shelf for RYO stuff.

Here it seems to be the opposite, the "pipe shop" has more rubbish than pipe tobacco. But they sure have all you want regarding RYOs, also this McBaren. In fact, in Germany you can find every damn RYO tobacco, it is a paradise, even in the super market (the variety here is much smaller).

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm

That's a damn shame.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:27 pm

I used to smoke cherry flavoured pipe baccy, in roll-ups, if that counts.
Otherwise, I'm a Cutters Choice smoker.
re: skins, I'm glad the UK has started to stock silver Rizla!
Not quite as thin as the OCB's in France.
I had to get blueys the other day and it was like A4 cartridge paper (believe me i've smoked most types of paper. Terrible sacrilege, but we used to roll up with the Gideons bible provided at the dorms. Nice thin paper.)
I'd like to smoke a pipe, but nowhere I'm at allows smoking. I reckon a pipe needs a nice atmosphere - not outside in the rain.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Smoke a pipe in your house, your car, or anywhere outside once it's nice again.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:03 pm

^ yeah, by that rationale it's outside only, so maybe in a few months.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:08 am

The only thing that comes (remotely) close are cigarillos (if you don't want to smoke stinky cigarettes) -- they even blend quite OK with cold air. Smoking pipe outside in rainy weather, that's more a case for 'horse-urine' English flavours (London Mixture, Balkan/Navy Flake) or the Scottish ones (Black Mallory, MM965) and not the delicate VA blends or aromatics.

Edit: I used to RYO with Golden Virginia cig. tobacco plus *any* cheap pipe tobacco (that was the actual reason for doing it!) -- mixed in 3:1 ratio, puffed only. Perfect.
..gnutella..