At the tobacconist

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

At the tobacconist

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:03 pm

This thread is dedicated to tobacco, no matter if cigarettes, cigars, chewing or pipe tobacco.

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
..gnutella..

rstrcogburn
Oyster-Slurper

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by rstrcogburn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:21 am

machinebacon wrote:"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
LOL

That's great. I did "again" as well 2 days ago. I'm dipping snuff now but packing it upper decker sweedish style. Nobody does that here in the Wild Wild West. It's a good way, that way you can still drink your beer. I'm into this Copenhagen Long Cut.

Potatohead
killall X

Unread post by Potatohead » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:26 pm

I successfully non-quitted 10 years ago! The best way to quit is to non-quit. I told myself "I will smoke tonight!" and when it got that far, I'd say "it can wait till tomorrow"

Before my successful non-quittance, I failed many times at quitting. Because I thought "OMG, I will never smoke again, life is boring". Then I found the secret of non-quitting. And, the bonus is, that there is nothing lost if you do forget that you have non-quitted and you smoke some cigs. You had not quitted, remember?

apprentice
invented Fellatio

Unread post by apprentice » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm

ive tangled with non-quitting many times
the last time i tried the patch

but i couldn't keep the feckers lit:)
card carrying p.e.t.a. member of long standing

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 pm

i/we had quit for 7 years - just got back into smoking..
we know a guy who literally looks like Nick O'tine - really with the hat and all.. he made us do it. 8)
it it nice...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Nicely bumping this.

Around half year ago I got Samuel Gawith's "Perfection", a mixture from Kendal, containing VAs, a pinch of Latakia, some Turkish (I guess it's Basma) and a hint of vanilla. When I first smoked this, it was definitely too moist, hard to keep lit, and a complete disaster. Now, after having dried it for months (indeed, for around half a year), it has reached a state in which it packs normally, burns down with only a few relights, and it has developed a very fine, yet musky and smokey (as in smoked beef jerk) flavor with subtle notes of leather, black pepper, candle wax, tonquin bean, cedar and incense. The vanilla casing (if we can really call it like this) is nearly completely gone and does not influence the overall flavour at all. This comes very close to Frog Morton On The Town, which I found a bit too sweet (though it really improved with some airing) -- as usually, keep your Sam Gawith tobaccos in a not-too-tight container or a jar, and give it some time to mature. This mixture has drastically improved from a hot-air tonguebiter to a classy, manly smoke (the full taste of Commonwealth paired with the unusual herbal sweetness of Westmorland, topped with the pleasantly cool characteristics of Balkan Flake)
If you ever get it, give it a fair trial. It is a Latakia mixture (wrongly labeled "Scottish" by the German distributor K&K, as it contains no Black Cavendish) with a bunch of little details popping up every now and then, though I must admit it has a slightly bitter, yet cool and dry, smoke.

Perfection (Mixture)
Blender: Samuel Gawith
Tobaccos: VA, L, T - flue
Flavour: a hint of Vanilla

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_det ... P&TID=1030
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:20 am

Thanks for the bump, bacon. This SG blend sounds like something I'd like to try. I agree that the SG blends are shipped too wet and too green, and they benefit from some aging and drying. My favorite so far is 1792, and it definitely needs drying before smoking. The tonquin is strong in this one, and I love it. I recently obtained a tin that had at least a year of age on it, and it was amazing.

My recent loves are the Cornell and Diehl Burley blends. Sadly, I don't think these are readily available outside the US. I love Burley (perhaps because I am an American) and I think C&D does Burley better than most blenders. My everyday morning smoke is Epiphany, a primarily Burley blend with Perique and a bit of Va and Latakia, with a top flavor that comes through in the first light but rapidly disappears to reveal the Burley and Perique backbone. Said to be a match for "Revelation" (the favorite smoke of Albert Einstein) it is excellent with a cup of french-pressed Guatemalan or Tanzanian peaberry.

In the afternoon or evening I turn to Old Joe Krantz, another C&D Burley blend with a bit more Perique and enough Va to sweeten the mix. Spicy and strong, it goes well with beer or a mixed drink.

I have also been exploring the full range of C&D Burley-based blends, from Pegasus to Haunted Bookshop and Night Train (different in that it is a crumble cake). Finally, for the straight American Burley experience (or as a blender) Dark Burley can't be beaten (IMO) -- don't let the TR review fool you; this one has no added top flavor, it's just pure American Burley.

C&D also has some excellent VaPers, including Bayou Morning. This one benefits from some aging in a jar, but even "green" it is excellent. I've just ordered some Poplar Camp and Three Friars to add to the rotation.

If you are able to find C&D blends, please try them. I have not found one that is not a winner. They are also the blender for GL Pease, so that should say something.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:29 am

@Pidsley: thanks for the input!

I can get the Haunted Bookstore here for a comparably low price, but only in bulk (I guess I can go down to 100gr) -- do you think it's worth the try? Recently I have found myself smoking more natural (VA/Kentucky) tobaccos than English mixtures. As long as it ages well... heck, all SG flakes/mixtures age superbly.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:45 am

Do you like Perique? HB is a bit more Perique-forward and spicy than Old Joe Krantz, but it's still good (I just finished a bowl of it :). It will give you a good feel for the rest of the C&D Bur/Va/Per blends, and it still has the classic C&D Burley backbone, so I'd say go for it if it's not too expensive. C&D bulk is just as good as tinned, AFAIK (I buy all of it in bulk, because it's cheaper that way and I am a cheap bastard). Some of their blends are only sold here in tins, and I may get to them eventually...

They say Burley doesn't get better with age, but it doesn't get any worse either.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:59 am

True Bacon. Maybe it is the sunny weather but I enjoy lately Flakes almost exclusively, pure Virginias like Capstan Gold Navy Cut but also VaPers and I love Peterson University Flake but the tin of this one has to get older, before it burns the tongue. I love Flakes, they can age and they do not lose the aroma but are getting better. Though Mac Baren's Virginia Flake is meh. I do not even know why I still try Mac Baren's offerings. I mean, for me, Navy Flake is already relatively bland. They all share Mac Baren's blandness, some more, some less.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:05 am

@Pidsley: Fact is that I've (probably) never tried a Burley/Perique mix. Gotta inquire about the price, let's see :)

@ivan: One can really forget MB -- if there's an alternative that doesn't burn a hole into your wallet. Try to get your hands on Orlik Golden Sliced (Red), you'll probably love it or at least like it very much.
And most definitely McConnell Scottish Flake (8.90 EUR), it's simply fucktastic! "Eine Basis aus Red Virginia, Carolina Leaf, Kentucky und einer Prise Turkish wird gemischt und mehrere Wochen lang kalt gepresst. Waehrend dieses Prozesses (oder wie der Schwabe sagen wuerde: Waehrend dem Prozess) wurd auf natuerliche Weise eine Harmonisierung erlangt (was fuer ein Gelaber!) und ein sehr langsam abbrennender Flake hergestellt (das ist aber wahr!). Reichhaltig und wuerzig (stimmt auch!)." DD, get this one!
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:39 am

Wow, I feel like an uncultured swine after this. I tend to buy economy blends of dark Cavendish in bulk because I'm a cheap fucker. Plus, if you smell like a dryer cut, people in public emit that entire "Ew, nasty" vibe, but if carry that wonderful Cavendish scent, even non-smokers will concede that "I don't smoke, but that smells wonderful."
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:03 am

It's not the price that counts (only), but if you are pleased and relaxed with the baccy or not. I got a pouch of Cavendish baccy from Hungary for a ridiculous price of 2-3 dollars or so, and it beats higher priced mixtures. But without doubt, usually a high-price tobacco doesn't really disappoint: the underlying tobacco is in most cases of very good to excellent quality (see Larson or Davidoff, for example -- tastes may differ, but the stuff burns like a dream)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 pm

I guess Germany is a Mac Baren country like the US is for Capt. Black, the main stream of course. But sure Jules, Golden Sliced and Scottish Flake are always in the rotation. ;) You know the good ones.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I've been thinking of taking up pipe smoking. I love the smell. My grandfather was a pipe smoker, and I always enjoyed smelling it as a kid.

A couple of years ago a lady friend of mine showed up at my house with tequila, pipe and tobacco, a different pipe with weed. It was a good night.

Any recommendations for the aspiring pipe tobacco smoker as to equipment and tobacco is highly appreciated!

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:28 pm

It smells good, huh? :D I think if you smoke with us you will run away of our camel shit smell. :lol:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Dr_Bones:

Take a pipe that's around 30 to 50 USD (or the same in Euro or pounds), for example Dr. Boston, Butz-Choqin, Vauen, or a Meerschaum as Pidsley prefers.
As for tobacco, don't even think of smoking the typical OTC tobaccos, they will just burn your tongue and take away the fun. If you like the Grandpa Style tobaccos, get yourself light aromatics, like Davidoff Scottish Mixture, Larsen No 50/No 80, or some of the flavoured Burley tobaccos . They smoke a bit cooler than Virginia/Black Cavendish mixtures.
Do you have a favored aroma you'd like to try? Not everybody can smoke the so-called Danish Aromatics (the generic name for flavored tobaccos) for too long, I guess Ivanov, Pidsley and myself prefer natural and/or English mixtures (that taste very smokey, and people call the room note foul or simply stinky)
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Honestly, my favorite pipe is one that I inherited from my wife's grandfather. It's a very thin and small pipe, and I'm pretty sure that it was an old hand-made one. I don't carry it around, though, preferring a Dr. Boston.

I also like the "hot-burners." Black or Cherry Cavendish is my preferred for taste, and I'll go with a milder Turkish blend if I don't have the time to keep the BC lit. Just my $0.02, and I'm by no means an aficionado.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:29 pm

^ Cavenishes are actually okay, it really depends on the amount of pure VA they add to it, and of course the overall casing. The more cased a tobacco is, the more it seduces the smoker to puff away too hastily or too strongly. Of course, it also depends on the oral fauna/flora :D Some people are prone to have tongue bite, others can take part in speed-puffing contests without even noticing :D
..gnutella..

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:It smells good, huh? :D I think if you smoke with us you will run away of our camel shit smell. :lol:
Hahaha, is that what they call "smokin' the good shit?" Clearly, as with all such things, I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the tips, guys, I'll be checking it out.