We believe in Hello and Thank You.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:01 pm

^^ Both of those are available here.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobac ... _id/195887
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobac ... _id/195886

They do sound good -- I love 1792 and GH Dark Flake.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:51 pm

Sounds good though as always I cannot find everything here in Germany. Have to take a look.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 pm

intrigued to see what a pipe review video was like, wasn't too surprised :)
is it Samuel GAY-withe, pretty sure that's not the best pronunciation, I'd have thought guah-withe.
like Sir Gawain, or is that pronounced gay-wain?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Help me decide.

Image or Image

Or both? (-:

The red Rapparee is sold out where I usually order, so the decision may be made for me.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:31 pm

wuxmedia wrote:intrigued to see what a pipe review video was like, wasn't too surprised :)
is it Samuel GAY-withe, pretty sure that's not the best pronunciation, I'd have thought guah-withe.
like Sir Gawain, or is that pronounced gay-wain?
Maybe Gah-With.

Pidsley, definitely both.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:50 pm

^^^ Gah-with.

^^ I had Black Mallory, which is very similar to this (I actually even had Red Rapparee that was repackaged for a Malaysian [?] distributor), it was a decent Scottish mixture. It's now produced by Kohlhase & Kopp, so it's actually a German tobacco - probably a bit fragrant on the Cavendish side, like all German blends that contain Cavendish. If you get it for a good price, go for it. Else just put it on the bucket list - it doesn't really shine. IMO, Old Dublin (which is *very* similar) has a more interesting profile.
The Robert McConnell is interesting. Again a German product. I would vote for it (because I never had their Oriental). The Scottish Flake was excellent. But ivan is right: if possible, both! Discover the subtle sweetness and perfumey fragrance of German Oriental mixtures. Prepare for a slightly "sour" smoke.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:36 pm

^ That oriental sour is what I'm looking for. I have a tin of McConnell Scottish Cake (like the flake, a VaPer despite the name) but I have not yet opened it. I may open it for my birthday next year, or I may let it get a bit more age. I have plenty of other things to smoke.

I have also smoked some Black Mallory, and it was good but not my favorite. Red Rapparee is supposed to have more Oriental, so it looked interesting.

I won't be ordering for a while, so I have time to change my mind a few times...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:56 pm

^ maybe you need some inspiration :)
- London Mixture (Dunhill), an old BBQ favorite. IIRC it is a tad more sour than Early Morning Pipe.
- Gawith's Skiff Mixture in tie with Squadron Leader. Latter is a bit more roasted sesame-ish.
- Of all Peterson's I know, there's only Old Dublin that I would describe somewhat Oriental.
These are the ones I know from the European market, probably the American blenders have better quality stuff.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:02 pm

machinebacon wrote:^^^ Gah-with.

^^ I had Black Mallory, which is very similar to this (I actually even had Red Rapparee that was repackaged for a Malaysian [?] distributor), it was a decent Scottish mixture. It's now produced by Kohlhase & Kopp, so it's actually a German tobacco - probably a bit fragrant on the Cavendish side, like all German blends that contain Cavendish. If you get it for a good price, go for it. Else just put it on the bucket list - it doesn't really shine. IMO, Old Dublin (which is *very* similar) has a more interesting profile.
Actually I like some of the Scottish cavendish-ed mixtures by Kohlhase & Kopp. The bad stuff are some cheaper blends that contain Latakia and of course cavendish, from some "unknown" German blenders.
machinebacon wrote:^ maybe you need some inspiration :)
- London Mixture (Dunhill), an old BBQ favorite. IIRC it is a tad more sour than Early Morning Pipe.
Absolutely.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 am

Necrobumping this one because of my new-found interest in cigars (unfortunately, since they are fucking expensive here). I spent the last two weeks smoking a few mainstream Cubans (Romeo y Julietta, Partagas, Upmann) and a handful of Chinese cigars (yeah, sounds funny but they are actually imported and domestic leaves, hand-rolled in China). Can't wait to go to Hong Kong in order to grab a few boxes duty free on the way back.
Anyone here with some experiences or recommendations? I like the dark, leather/coffee ones rather than the bright ones.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Cool Bacon. Let me see. For a long time I had no cigar.
But I could recommend some Cohibas. Also Cubans and very leathery. I mostly smoke the small variant.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm not man enough for that shit, had a romeo y julieta for an occasion thought it was an insane amount of smoke (not inhaling of course)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Whenever I light up a stogie, I prefer Partagas, but a lot of hondourans are much cheaper and just as good.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:39 pm

Ivan,

Feel like smoking RYO again. Thinking of getting some zware/halfzware shag (like Van Nelle or Drum) and blending it with a bit of aromatic pipe tobacco, but I don't have much experience with the latter type. Not really into the sweet flavours. Prefer something dark or woody, although I don't mind if there's a bit of natural sweetness from latakia or oriental leaves or something. But please no sugar, fruit or vanilla. Has to be ribbon cut, obviously (since I'm gonna roll it). Any recommendations?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:29 am

First of all, I no longer smoke cigarettes and that means no RYO anymore. I cannot remember since when, I think around 2018.

That said I still enjoy pipe smoking and that exclusively even if less regular. So I was never into blending pipe tobacco with regular shag etc but my father used to do that. He sprinkled his with rum. It mellowed the blend and smelled beautifully.

If you remember I never smoked aromatics, especially not fruit or vanilla. I am all into English/Balkan style baccy and Virginias.
In your case I would recommend to try something Virginia based, e.g. Mac Baren Virginia No 1. That one could be blended I think. It is a sweet one but no fruit.

Another one would be Capstan Original Navy Cut, that one is a flake I know but you can rub it, I do it also for my pipes. It also comes in a ready rubbed version but that is not of the same quality IMO. Though you can try it out.
I really smoke most of my Virginias as flakes.

Another one will also disappoint you because it is a flake but I love it, a Burley/Virginia blend, very sweet, plum like, a fruit, I know but no aromatic shit, it is natural sweetness, it is Peterson University Flake.

If you prefer it with more punch, Latakia it is with Perique and Virginia, ready rubbed, Peterson Balkan Delight, damn in the EU it is now called Peterson Balkan Mixture, you know smoking is no delight.

I cannot recommend you anything in the classic Scandinavian or even American aromatics style as I smoke none and you already said no vanilla and cherry (worst baccy fruit).
Of course there are some more. I think especially Pidsley is into the HH line Kentuckies. I also like them but again, flakes mostly but I think you can blend them well with RYO tobacco.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 am

^ I always thought flakes or ready-rubbed blends would be too moist/sticky and not burn properly when rolled in a stick. Haven't smoked RYO since sometime just before the first Coronalockdown started.

Picked up Mac Baren Halfzware shag the other day, but the taste is so different from what I remember, and it also gave me a headache. Don't know if it's my own tastebuds that have changed or if MB changed the formula or some environmental impact on tobacco quality, but it's just not the same any more. Such a shame, because I used to love MB halfzware shag.

That's why I'm considering a different zware shag combined with some sort of English or Balkan pipe tobacco (I had Chacom No.1 and G.L.Pease Odyssey yesterday on another browser tab as I was typing the earlier post), since I assume the tobacco used for pipe blends is given more care. Not economical, but I'm not a consistent smoker. Just maybe a few sticks on a day off.

Thanks again, Ivan. There's strict rules for tobacco sales where I live and local tobacconists aren't allowed to display their stock online. I'll need to visit the physical store to see what's available here. Will take note of your recommendations.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:29 am

gutterslob wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 am
^ I always thought flakes or ready-rubbed blends would be too moist/sticky and not burn properly when rolled in a stick. Haven't smoked RYO since sometime just before the first Coronalockdown started.
That is true at first but they are even too wet to be smoked from the tin even for pipes. That is why you let the tin open a little bit or like I do, you take some baccy and let it dry. I never smoke a flake out of the tin, impossible. But as you would use regular RYO tobacco with the pipe tobacco, the regular one will keep the thing lit.
gutterslob wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 am
Thanks again, Ivan. There's strict rules for tobacco sales where I live and local tobacconists aren't allowed to display their stock online. I'll need to visit the physical store to see what's available here. Will take note of your recommendations.
I could post some pics but that would be too much work. Just scroll back into the thread here and most of the tobaccos I mentioned should be there or go to https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/Search and put the search terms in. That will be easier to pick them up at the store if they are available.